By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New kind of media physical-digital enabler

jonathanalis said:

Hello,

Everyone knows that both physical and digital medias have their problems and benefits.

The problem of physical media is that you have to change your disc everytime you change the game, it can break, break the disc reader. But you can trade it, sell it, lend it, and dont waste hard drive space.

the problem with physical media i..

A) i have to store it

B) owning it "forever" is such a fucking lie people tell themselves.  no one has a vhs player anymore.  no one has a cassette player anymore.  my computer doesn't have a disc drive and therefore can't make use of cd, dvd, or even blu ray anymore.   physical becomes obsolete just as fast as anything else.  i can't even play my wii anymore because both my controllers broke and 1 of 2 ps3 controllers have broke now too.  all those physical games are about to become trash for me.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
jonathanalis said:

Hello,

Everyone knows that both physical and digital medias have their problems and benefits.

The problem of physical media is that you have to change your disc everytime you change the game, it can break, break the disc reader. But you can trade it, sell it, lend it, and dont waste hard drive space.

A) i have to store it

B) owning it "forever" is such a fucking lie people tell themselves.  no one has a vhs player anymore.  no one has a cassette player anymore.  my computer doesn't have a disc drive and therefore can't make use of cd, dvd, or even blu ray anymore.   physical becomes obsolete just as fast as anything else.  i can't even play my wii anymore because both my controllers broke and 1 of 2 ps3 controllers have broke now too.  all those physical games are about to become trash for me.

I still have my VHS player. I still have my disc drives on my PC. So I can use what I have. Why would someone, who wants physcial media. Get ride of the device that plays it. That makes no sense. It makes sense, that a person who uses digital only to do that. No ones putting a gun to your head, and doesn't let you put a disc drive in your PC. If it didn't come with one. Nor stop you from still using VHS. You can still use them freely.

archer9234 said:
kitler53 said:
jonathanalis said:

Hello,

A) i have to store it

I still have my VHS player. I still have my disc drives on my PC. So I can use what I have. Why would someone, who wants physcial media. Get ride of the device that plays it. That makes no sense. It makes sense, that a person who uses digital only to do that. No ones putting a gun to your head, and doesn't let you put a disc drive in your PC. If it didn't come with one. Nor stop you from still using VHS. You can still use them freely.

because i refuse to have a tv with every media device i've ever owned attached to it.  and hell, hdtv's don't support a axial input anyways so even having a vhs is a waste.

there was a time i valued my 400+ dvd collections but that kind of clutter is a waste of life.  there is no love to be found in plastic and paper.

kitler53 said:
archer9234 said:
kitler53 said:
jonathanalis said:

Hello,

A) i have to store it

because i refuse to have a tv with every media device i've ever owned attached to it.  and hell, hdtv's don't support a axial input anyways so even having a vhs is a waste.

there was a time i valued my 400+ dvd collections but that kind of clutter is a waste of life.  there is no love to be found in plastic and paper.

Do what you want. But don't say no one else does this. You aren't the world. That was what I was getting at. VHS' work on HDTV's. The ATSC tuner accepts NTSC. Or you can hook it up by composite ports. If your TV doesn't have them. Get a HDMI to composite converter. You can also do passthroughs with devices. I have a DVD recorder that hooks up with HDMI. But I can also pass a composite signal through it. People have many options still.

physical or nothing for me. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable all digital future

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
kitler53 said:

Do what you want. But don't say no one else does this. You aren't the world. That was what I was getting at. VHS' work on HDTV's. The ATSC tuner accepts NTSC. Or you can hook it up by composite ports. If your TV doesn't have them. Get a HDMI to composite converter. You can also do passthroughs with devices. I have a DVD recorder that hooks up with HDMI. But I can also pass a composite signal through it. People have many options still.

just remember those exact words when the next thread shitting on digital consumerism pops-up.  i remember you quite specifically participating in many of those threads.

JazzB1987 said:

Just because you took a random price does not make the thing cost 50 bucks for everyone. I can easily get one for sub 30 VAT included. And thats an arbitrary price set by Toshiba for consumers. The wifi chip probably costs a dollar.  Nintendo will get mass discount and tax discount(or not pay taxes at all like in Germany)

And I am obviously not saying that games should come on SD cards (piracy whohoo!) but that e.g Vita and 3DS cards and newer consoles could have similar technology. The SD card transfer rate is also slow because the SD card is so slim. A 3DS version would automatically be faster because there is simply more space for better Wifi technology.

At least try the next time you reply...

Errrr OK. Sorry, wasn't taking you seriously the first time. Honestly  thought your suggestion was silly or a joke for what I would consider obvious reasons and didn't even think you were taking it seriously. But I stand corrected. 

First off, what I showed you wasn't a random price. Its the price of a SD card from a reputable manufacturer that is 32GB and also class 10. And the reason the card is slow has nothing to do with WiFi. Its simply the SD card specification standards. Unless you do not know what the classes stand for in SD card descriptions.

I don't know how old you are, but the gaming industry has done cartridges before. About 20 years ago. All the reasons we moved on to Discs still hold true today. Greater capacity and infinately cheaper. No matter how you spin it, even at OEM pricing, It would cost any publisher over $25 for a single SD card with a capacity of 50GB. Which ultimately means that game prices will go up to $80 minimum. 

And what you don't know about handhelds using SD card like storage mediums, its not a plus, they would do away with them in a heartbeat if they could. Its a compromise they have to make cause you can't get disc media reliably and durably into such a small pro table form factor. 

The closest thing to cartridges (though technically we already have them in HDDs) we will have anytime soon are SSDs (be it sata/m.2). The reason its viable is cause it can match the capacity of conventional HDDs today and far exceeds their performance and durability. But most importantly, its cost is shared across all the games you buy over the course of a generation. That means that while it may cost Sony/ms/Nintendo $50 to put in a 1TB ssd in 2019/2020, that is  still significantly better (in both cost and performance) from making consumers pay $15/$20 more for every game they buy cause you want to put them on a "portable cartridge" 

Yeah, no. For one, this is just going to significantly increase the price of console and discs. The only economical technology to make this happen would be NFC, and that only works if your console is right next to the game. Technologies like bluetooth that allow longer field communication would require you games having a power supply, and would significantly raise the prices of your media.

No thanks, just download your games like everyone else or buy them at the store.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

PwerlvlAmy said:
physical or nothing for me. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable all digital future

People hated the transition from cartridge to CD as well. Said it would cheapen the games, and make them very easy to break. Look where we are now.

I think once the digital future actually happens, people will be fine. The same thing happnened with Steam on PC, and while there were a few missteps, overall people agree that Steam is much better than any physical seller, especially considering that selling/buying used games isn't even an issue due to the abundant sales.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

People hated the transition from cartridge to CD as well. Said it would cheapen the games, and make them very easy to break. Look where we are now.

I think once the digital future actually happens, people will be fine. The same thing happnened with Steam on PC, and while there were a few missteps, overall people agree that Steam is much better than any physical seller, especially considering that selling/buying used games isn't even an issue due to the abundant sales.

Nah I'll still feel the same as I do now

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick