By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo expand on 3D / Gamepad or drop them?

If they do that Fusion thing they'll probably keep the gamepad, if only to make porting games slightly easier. If they don't do Fusion, I can see it going either way.

For 3D it depends on how cheap the technology is by the time their next handheld. releases.

Around the Network

Another idea is that 1) they drive the production costs down low enough to where their next console (it would have to wait till 2018 to be able to reach an acceptable price point) would have an updated gamepad and a pro controller in the box. The other, more feasible possibility is that 2) the gamepad will be an optional addon for the new console to allow for full Wii U backwards compatibility.

the gamepad will be the portable console, so there will be no need for a gamepad.

Teeqoz said:
Just make a normal console please...No gimmicks..

This

I really hope they don't drop the 3D. I think it adds a lot to gaming!

Around the Network

Oh now here's an idea that might be worth pointing out. The successor to the 3DS could serve as a gamepad for Wii U backwards compatibility. I mean, the 3DS can already function similar to a gamepad with Smash. So if the successor doesn't have the gamepad bundled in, they could sell it separately (bundling it later alongside a traditional controller once production costs fall and if it is popular enough) or you could use the handheld as one. Also if the streaming tech is in it, then the handheld could stream games to *and* from the console, so you could put handheld games up on the screen or console ones on the handheld.

Also, the gamepad imo is not a gimmick so much, it just hasn't beeen used well.  It has the potential to allow for games that couldn't be done previously without additional peripherals.  For example, a number of advanced mech games require a lot of buttons, much more than the 14 standard inputs on normal controllers (2 triggers, 2 bumpers, 4 face buttons, 4 directions on the d-pad, and 2 clickable analogue sticks).  The gamepad, however, can easily fit 20 new inputs on the screen that wouldn't be too dificult to reach, giving the game 34 inputs.  That's just one example. 

I'll guess they'll drop both.

oniyide said:

so next gen will have two whopping gamepads to use instead of just one? Doesnt seem worth it IMHO

I can see multiplayer aspects benefitting from this especially co-op games and we may see 4 Tabs tbh, the U is like 2-3 times the power of the previous gen while the PS4 and X1 are like 12 times the power so even if their next console is only twice the power of the PS4 in the next gen they'll easily have the hardware to run with multiple Tablet controllers as the hardware needed to do it is already in use this gen.

I agree with Spemanig that we'll see a revision in design but the Tablet is going to be standard as unlike the Wiimote it doesn't hamper traditional play at all I even use it to play Bayonetta 2 with no trouble.

Teeqoz said:

Thinking about it, Nintendo hasn't made a normal console since Sony entered the ring.

V-r0cK said:
Teeqoz said:

Thinking about it, Nintendo hasn't made a normal console since Sony entered the ring.

so... the n64 and Gamecube aren't "normal" consoles huh? give me a break.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD