By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The issue with the Kinect as a game peripheral is that while it is a step up on a tech scale compared to the Wii, it is a step backwards in terms of practicality. The Kinect suffers from the same problem that plagued pre-Wii pure motion controls, the very problem the Wii solved: navigation of 3D space. The Wii remote and nunchuck solves this problem, allowing for sophisticated game design like Metroid Prime 3 that melds motion control and traditional gameplay seamlessly. The Kinect removed that advantage to take a step forward with the "you are the controller" slogan but in reality they just took a step backwards in terms of functionality. As q game peripheral, the Kinect is dead and was doomed from the start.

Around the Network
Burek said:
Once they finally get around to enabling voice commands through a headset, there will be no reason for keeping it plugged in even for those few that still use it for UI navigation.

Is this right? You can only do voice commands through Kinect? If so...why? It can't be that difficult, especially for MS. Hell, I don't care about voice commands that much, but I plugged a super cheap USB mic into my PS4 a year ago to try it out, ended up working so good I kept it plugged in. 

Aeolus451 said:
It's a gimmick and those tend to fade fairly quickly in the world of video games. I read something about MS trying to revamp it or something. I wonder how much it's already cost MS to develop and try to get everyone to buy into it at this point? My guess is that they'll try to use VR as a means to resurrect it.

I dunno about r & d but they spent like 1 billion on advertising in the first few months. With it dying a next gen death it just adds to ms's gaming related losses since 2001. 

It will have no future motion controlls are dead for good

Around the Network
Burek said:
Skidmore said:

Deep Down I believe that PS Camera was supposed to be bundled with the PS4 Day One, but they dropped it after Microsoft conference to gain even more upper hand, cutting down the price. That is why the was the robots inside the controller thing, and all, it was clearly projected to be there day one.

Many people believe deep down that Sony was going to do many unpopular things that Microsoft got called out for (like force bundling camera, physical disc DRM, always online, 24-hour parole officer check-in, region locking...), just so they can justify all the anti-consumer bull that Microsoft tried to sell them as the future of entertainment.

I guess it makes them feel better about themselves at the end of the day. And as with all beliefs, I have nothing against it.

People like the whole two wrongs make a write to justify support for their product.  Either way this wasn't made by ms to harm the consumer although the whole spying thing was a bit worrying.  The bottom line is they have stopped major software support.  I don't think ms believe this is a profitable venture anymore.  

Everyone is not some single guy without any friends or some super serious gamer. Kinect is fine for those that enjoy it, just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it's dead. What I have found funny is that most of the complaints about kinect come from people who don't have one, heck probably don't even own an XB1.

everyone but ms could see kinect died on the 360. all the boosts to performance in the world won't make controllerless gaming not suck to play outside a small number of games.

true_fan said:

Everyone is not some single guy without any friends or some super serious gamer. Kinect is fine for those that enjoy it, just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it's dead. What I have found funny is that most of the complaints about kinect come from people who don't have one, heck probably don't even own an XB1.

Does it count if I had one on X360? Had it for about a year, out of which I tried to play some games that all sucked more or less (of course, there was Dance Central and Your Shape that did not). Played for a few months, shelved it for the rest, and was happy as a little kid when I managed to get €50 for it.

And this was back when MS actually made games for it. The very fact that so far XOne has 2 retail games in 15 months (one if which is an abomination called The Fighter Within that announced the quality Ubisoft will produce in 2014), and 3 downloadable titles nobody cared about, certainly means that Kinect is dead. And will not be resurrected any time soon.

Burek said:
true_fan said:

Does it count if I had one on X360? Had it for about a year, out of which I tried to play some games that all sucked more or less (of course, there was Dance Central and Your Shape that did not). Played for a few months, shelved it for the rest, and was happy as a little kid when I managed to get €50 for it.

And this was back when MS actually made games for it. The very fact that so far XOne has 2 retail games in 15 months (one if which is an abomination called The Fighter Within that announced the quality Ubisoft will produce in 2014), and 3 downloadable titles nobody cared about, certainly means that Kinect is dead. And will not be resurrected any time soon.

OK so you speak for everyone got it.  I don't think anyone buys the kinect for hardcore gaming.  It's just a fun peripheral.  I can't wait to hear the opinions about morpheus. Whatever MSFT does people will complain,  1st too much focus on kinect and now not enough. 

By the way D4 is great with kinect, I enjoyed fantasia, and I recently bought KSR. These games with the voice commands have made it worth it, for me.