By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Circuit City gives retail value on HD-DVD trade-in for blu-ray player/PS3

Wow, that's a great deal.  Circuit City is allowing HD-DVD owners to trade in for stand alone blu-ray players or a ps3.  They are giving full retail value for the HD-DVD player.  I've got a buddy that may be glad to hear about this!

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/05/circuit-city-quietly-accepting-hd-dvd-player-trade-ins/

Circuit City quietly accepting HD DVD player trade-ins

Did you get stuck on the losing end of the format war, and are now cursing that HD DVD player as it stares mockingly at you? Does your rage meter go to 11 when you hear of consumers living abroad getting treated to some trade-in value on HD DVD players? Well, our friends over at Format War Central have gotten word that Circuit City is quietly offering a trade-in program to consumers who jumped into the HD DVD pool within three months of Toshiba's fateful announcement. Apparently, you'll be able to trade in your player, at full purchase price, towards a Blu-ray player or a gift card. Nice move, Circuit City! Three words of advice if you're affected and go to cash in on this deal -- "calm but firm." Let us know if you have any luck in switching out equipment in the comments, too!

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

so... if i go to bestbuy and buy the HD-DVD add-on for xbox, I can get 199 dollars worth of trade-in?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Wow. Heck of a deal. But what about the movies? If I were an HD-DVD owner, I'm not sure if I'd want to give up the chance to watch my HD-DVD library.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Wow. Heck of a deal. But what about the movies? If I were an HD-DVD owner, I'm not sure if I'd want to give up the chance to watch my HD-DVD library.

There's always Ebay!

kingofwale said:
so... if i go to bestbuy and buy the HD-DVD add-on for xbox, I can get 199 dollars worth of trade-in?

Lol...I was wondering the same.  I don't know how they're handling that.

@stof

Yeah, that's the one drawback for anyone that owns a LOT of HD-DVD's...if they only have a few, not a big deal, but for the people that jumped in head-first, they'd still be sorta screwed. 

Around the Network

Great deal!

Well ,they must be asking for the receipt ....if your receipt mark 40 dollars you will only get a 40 dollars cut .

Diomedes1976 said:
Well ,they must be asking for the receipt ....if your receipt mark 40 dollars you will only get a 40 dollars cut .

Yeah, that's gotta be how they're handling it.  It says purchase price, so they probably want a receipt showing the full amount someone paid.

Some of the early adopters could almost get a free blu-ray player or ps3.

DragonLord said:

Wow, that's a great deal. Circuit City is allowing HD-DVD owners to trade in for stand alone blu-ray players or a ps3. They are giving full retail value for the HD-DVD player. I've got a buddy that may be glad to hear about this!

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/05/circuit-city-quietly-accepting-hd-dvd-player-trade-ins/

Circuit City quietly accepting HD DVD player trade-ins

Did you get stuck on the losing end of the format war, and are now cursing that HD DVD player as it stares mockingly at you? Does your rage meter go to 11 when you hear of consumers living abroad getting treated to some trade-in value on HD DVD players? Well, our friends over at Format War Central have gotten word that Circuit City is quietly offering a trade-in program to consumers who jumped into the HD DVD pool within three months of Toshiba's fateful announcement. Apparently, you'll be able to trade in your player, at full purchase price, towards a Blu-ray player or a gift card. Nice move, Circuit City! Three words of advice if you're affected and go to cash in on this deal -- "calm but firm." Let us know if you have any luck in switching out equipment in the comments, too!

@dragon:

Its not for early adopters, as you just speculated in your last post.

I'm shocked that a retailer would do this. However, since most consumers will have to shell out extra cash for a Blu-Ray player. I guess it helps Circuit City's bottom dollar.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus