By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2014 NPD Thread! XBO, PS4, Wii U up! Many software up!

Wow! Congrats xbox one!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
true_fan said:
poklane said:

I love how every time I make a point you refuse to talk about that point and just completley avoid it. Also, if you think someone might make a game exclusive for XB1 because of their partnership with Microsoft, especially while the XB1 isn't the market leader, and the XB1's attach rate then I just don't know what to say without risking a ban. Nobody in their right mind will avoid a 18.5mil+ console which is leading the market unless they get offered a huge amount of cash.

My point is not to say Publishers and devs are going to go out of their way to make exclusive deals, but the consenus among a few is that any XBOX exclusivity is stupid.  Your point would stand if games like TR that was avaiable to 160+ million wasn't deemed a failure.

And how in the world is that relevent to the discussion? Stop avoiding the conversation.

Ok this is what I'm getting for the Wii U:
2013: around 1192.5K (might be off by a bit on this one)
1192.5 + 29% = 1538.325
2014 through Nov: around 987.5K (might be off on this one as well)
1538.3 - 987.5 = 550.8

So if my data is right Wii U sales were around 551K in December.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

true_fan said:
poklane said:
true_fan said:

The attach rates is why some companies don't mind being exclusive to XBOX. Despite ps4 having a 1 million+ install base lead a majority of the year, several games sold better on XB1 and there is still a ton of 360 support.

Every developer on earth minds going exclusive on any platform unless they get a huge bag of money.

I also love how you try to talk down PS4 sales and/or try to make XB1 sales look way better than they are with the bolded part. Also, what games have sold better on XB1 than PS4 (talking WW here as exclusitivy aplies to the whole world and not just the US)?

Don't get so defensive, I'm only pointing out that XBOX attach rates continue to be the highest in the industry. No need for a bag of money, guaranteed money and partnership eliminates risk, which is very important in business.

You do realise that word means a bag of money when it comes to "partnering" with 3rd parties to make exclusive games. And how do you "guarantee money"? You certainly don't guarantee more money by limiting the number of platfomrs on which you game releases. So the only way to get guaranteed money is to get it up front, i.e. in a bag from the platform maker.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

true_fan said:
poklane said:
true_fan said:
poklane said:
true_fan said:

I love how every time I make a point you refuse to talk about that point and just completley avoid it. Also, if you think someone might make a game exclusive for XB1 because of their partnership with Microsoft, especially while the XB1 isn't the market leader, and the XB1's attach rate then I just don't know what to say without risking a ban. Nobody in their right mind will avoid a 18.5mil+ console which is leading the market unless they get offered a huge amount of cash.

My point is not to say Publishers and devs are going to go out of their way to make exclusive deals, but the consenus among a few is that any XBOX exclusivity is stupid.  Your point would stand if games like TR that was avaiable to 160+ million wasn't deemed a failure.

Because every game automatically sells well given the installbase is big enough, right? That's what you are assuming here. And I personally wouldn't say 5.65mil is a failure.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
jlmurph2 said:

Correcting him on what? Reffering to US numbers in the NPD thread?

No... Saying xbox one was going to dominate this year. 

Oh, he's going to believe what he will, this isn't the first thread someone's made bold claims that people can come back to and make them eat crow. My only gripe was thinking your whole post was about worldwide. Saying something like "It doesn't matter if Xbox One sells more in US, PS4 still has WW" is common here.

thismeintiel said:
RJ_Sizzle said:
true_fan said:

The attach rates is why some companies don't mind being exclusive to XBOX. Despite ps4 having a 1 million+ install base lead a majority of the year, several games sold better on XB1 and there is still a ton of 360 support.

Wait, what? It's all multiplats ruling the annual charts with most selling best on PS4, what are you talking about?

He's also forgetting some of games that had exclusvie advertising and bundles for the XBO, but still sold better on PS4.  Even in the US.  And once SE sees how much the PS4 has sold by the time Nov/Dec rolls around this year, they are going to seriously regret that Tomb Raider deal.

Like Destiny. But how much does that matter when 360 software on a MS advertised game ends up selling more than PS4 software. MS is still getting the money.

TechnoHobbit said:

Ok this is what I'm getting for the Wii U:
2013: around 1192.5K (might be off by a bit on this one)
1192.5 + 29% = 1538.325
2014 through Nov: around 987.5K (might be off on this one as well)
1538.3 - 987.5 = 550.8

So if my data is right Wii U sales were around 551K in December.

The other leak said ~100K more than the best month (December 2013 with 481K).

Maybe we get a pie chart for more precise numbers.

december NPD every game, expect farcary, sold better on xb1 than ps4

5 top 10 2014 games sold better on ps4
4 top 10 2014 games sold better on xb1

so the ps4 Domination is over (at least in the USA)

Kerotan said:
jlmurph2 said:
Kerotan said:
jlmurph2 said:

My point is that he doesn't need to specify "in the US" in an NPD thread. You don't see him specifying the US when saying numbers or congratulations since its implied because of the topic/title. You can make a December 2014 worldwide numbers thread and then you can specify all you want.

My point is that Microsoft will not be dominating the usa and I'm pointing out that the only domination will be sony worldwide.  Whats the issue exactly?  I still don't know why you replied to me instead of correcting him. 

Correcting him on what? Reffering to US numbers in the NPD thread?

No... Saying xbox one was going to dominate this year. 

When did I say XB1 is going to dominate this year. I said XB1 will OVERTAKE ps4 this year. Man these 2 small NPD victories really has you guys messed up. As Aaron Rodgers said, R_E_L_A_X.

Also why would I need to specify the region in an NPD article?