By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2014 NPD Thread! XBO, PS4, Wii U up! Many software up!

WII U CLOSES 2014 WITH BIGGEST MONTH OF SALES IN ITS HISTORY

Jan. 15, 2014

Wii U established new benchmarks for hardware and software sales in a single month in December. This helped total hardware and software sales in 2014 increase by more than 29 percent and more than 75 percent, respectively, over sales in 2013.

Nintendo 3DS also had a strong December, including its largest month ever for first-party software sales. This was primarily fueled by Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, which has already surpassed 2 million combined physical and digital units sold in a little more than three months, and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, which have combined to sell over 2.6 million physical and digital units in their first six weeks.

“Wii U had its strongest year yet thanks to the highly anticipated software lineup and the introduction of the amiibo platform,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Fans can anticipate another strong year for 2015, especially with more highly anticipated games like Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, as well as New Nintendo 3DS XL, arriving in the first half of 2015.”

Other Nintendo highlights from the full 2014 year include:
Wii U

Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U sold over 1.7 million physical and digital units and 1.3 million physical and digital units, respectively, in 2014.
Total sales of amiibo figures in 2014 are nearly twice the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Nintendo 3DS

In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.
In 2014, the top 15 best-selling hand-held titles were all released on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
darkenergy said:
The Xbox consoles are still dominating in the software charts! Congrats Microsoft! :)

Yeah, shows the 360 still has some fight in it after 9 years.

PwerlvlAmy said:
wasnt xb1 outselling ps4 two months in a row in the u.s. ''impossible'' but yet here it is lol

I don't think anyone said impossible with AC Unity bundle at $350. Impossible with both systems at $399, yeah I think it would have been impossible, but that was not the reality of the pricing. Certainly there were some people who thought PS4 was likely to win December NPD. But I don't think anyone was saying anything close to "impossible" once the holiday pricing was known.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
wasnt xb1 outselling ps4 two months in a row in the u.s. ''impossible'' but yet here it is lol

I don't think anyone said impossible with AC Unity bundle at $350. Impossible with both systems at $399, yeah I think it would have been impossible, but that was not the reality of the pricing. Certainly there were some people who thought PS4 was likely to win December NPD. But I don't think anyone was saying anything close to "impossible" once the holiday pricing was known.

Some did say the AC Unity bundle sales would fizzle out once AC Unity released though. Imagine if the game released not broken.

"Total sales of amiibo figures in 2014 are nearly twice the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U."

Jesus. That's well over 2 million Amiibos. Nuts

Around the Network

The attach rates is why some companies don't mind being exclusive to XBOX. Despite ps4 having a 1 million+ install base lead a majority of the year, several games sold better on XB1 and there is still a ton of 360 support.

Wii U didn't reach a million in that month.

poklane said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Kerotan said:
Carl2291 said:
Also guys, check out that FIFA.

Football is taking over America.

Soon the Americans will call soccer football! 

HA! Not a chance.

It's already happening :P New York City FC, FC is short for Football Club.

Of course soccer clubs will. I'm talking about the typical American. Football is way too big here for people to start calling soccer football. Anyway, back on topic...

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

benji232 said:
WII U CLOSES 2014 WITH BIGGEST MONTH OF SALES IN ITS HISTORY

Jan. 15, 2014

Wii U established new benchmarks for hardware and software sales in a single month in December. This helped total hardware and software sales in 2014 increase by more than 29 percent and more than 75 percent, respectively, over sales in 2013.

Nintendo 3DS also had a strong December, including its largest month ever for first-party software sales. This was primarily fueled by Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, which has already surpassed 2 million combined physical and digital units sold in a little more than three months, and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, which have combined to sell over 2.6 million physical and digital units in their first six weeks.

“Wii U had its strongest year yet thanks to the highly anticipated software lineup and the introduction of the amiibo platform,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Fans can anticipate another strong year for 2015, especially with more highly anticipated games like Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, as well as New Nintendo 3DS XL, arriving in the first half of 2015.”

Other Nintendo highlights from the full 2014 year include:
Wii U

Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U sold over 1.7 million physical and digital units and 1.3 million physical and digital units, respectively, in 2014.
Total sales of amiibo figures in 2014 are nearly twice the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Nintendo 3DS

In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.
In 2014, the top 15 best-selling hand-held titles were all released on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

Are you sure? Wii U is up 29 % vs 2013, not december 2013 vs december 2014.

On gaf they were saying that would be around 575k

~2.5M amiibo LTD isn't that bad.

And 75% more software for Wii U without third party games, lol.

EDIT: haha, some confusion about Wii U...