By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon will be bigger than Zelda

Maybe in Japan.

Around the Network

Not a chance. Huge fanbase>New IP

ZarskiSold said:

Not even remotly similar situation, people need to get over any handheld success and think ill ever transsfer to nintendos console.  Two worlds apart.

Wrong type of game on wrong platform.  

To be fair, HH's do count. The AC games sell way more than the Zelda games on HH's while Zelda only slightly outsells AC on consoles.

plus, City Folk did outsell Skyward Sword. (SS released at the end of the gen but if Zelda was so much bigger, it wouldn't matter would it?)

I personally don't see it becoming bigger then Zelda especially as the upcoming Zelda seems to have more anticipation behind it then previous games that only TP and OOT can match, also given that it was well recieved in it's surprise appearance in December. With the U's insanely high attach rate I reckon the upcoming Zelda game could hit 5m, I do how ever agree that Splatoon could become a consistent franchise.

Splatoon comes across as a crazy Team Fortress 2 style take on TPS, I can see it possibly hitting maybe 2-3m if they nail it in both execution and marketing but at the moment the's still a lot up in the air, it does look very slick and stylish though.

Could it sell better then Zelda games in future as a series? Maybe but it all depends on a number of factors, at the moment I just don't see it beating out the upcoming Zelda game I have a feeling it's going to be a beast in that franchise.

*Sound Of Rain said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Animal Crossing =/= Splatoon... The thing with AC is that it is the perfect game for casuals and the inital sales of it was high. It was essentially FarmVille before Facebook was a thing and when it went on the DS, it really took off cause the DS was filled with Casuals. Splatoon on the otherhand, while you can argue that it could be for "casuals," it will never ever sell as high nor will it ever have that casual appeal that animal crossing has. Essentially, what will happen is that, it will come out, sell like 500k-1million lifetime and will be the next character in smash bros that no one remembers

What do you mean by casual appeal? in order for a game to have casual appeal, it just needs to be simple enough to understand. Animal Crossing has it, Mario Kart has it.

Splatoon is a paint shooter where the goal is to splatter the most paint...easy enough

Splatoon has local multiplayer, casuals love that. Let's call it the Mario Kart / Smash Bros element

It also has online multiplayer which is another element that increases sales

Splatoon will sell over a million in just the U.S. This is just the first game too, on a underselling console

This game is certainly not a "simple enough to understand" sorta game considering how many different types of rolls there are and not to mention the whole turning into a squid thing and the paint restrictions as well as many other things. Every single time we see a trailer, we see 4 different characters doing 4 different things. One shoots with a gun, the other spreads paint, another uses it as a shield and the last one fires AoE rockets and I am sure there will be tons for things when the game releases. Even the clothes ur wearing apperently affect the game in some way like we saw today.

AC is a very simple game compared to Splatoon and it is a very relaxing game that lets you go at your own pace. And casual's dont love local multiplayer cause if they did, the wiiU has more "local multiplayer" games than any other platform but u dont see it selling zomfg amount. And again, plenty of games have online multiplayer but that doesn't mean it will sell well. Games like MK8 and Smash Bros sell so much because they are the "best" in the genre. (I dont mean like fighting game genre for SSB but like for 4 player fighting game) The gamecube was also another console that sold very little but AC managed to do 3+ million on it. Splatoon won't even make it to a million imo cause it really looks like a niche game sadly. A niche game that I will love but it will just be another one that will sell low and will probably won't even get a sequel. T_T

You either have to appeal to the "cod" crowd of casuals with their gritty, realistic shooter or the "AC" crowd of casuals with its simple, relaxing mechnics and Splatoon appeals to neither

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I'm gonna say that it's possible. If Splatoon is done really well and Nintendo continues to make splatoon games, then why not? But it'll be really difficult to do!! Especially considering how Zelda U is shaping up!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ktay95 said:
I love the AC is bigger than Zelda comparison... just reminds how Nintendo fans think Metroid is a part of some big 3, its not. Metroid is lucky to crack top 10.

I have always said the same thing. A lot of people put Metroid high up as some huge Nintendo IP when in reality not even Zelda is Top 3 in sales for them

Anfebious said:
Actually... I'm with you this time Rainy! I agree with you 100%

Glad to hear you actually agree with me on here for once

A new IP, on the Wii U of all consoles, outselling and/or becoming bigger than Zelda? Not gonna happen.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Well, its a online shooter game, so it has this going for it, but its not the first one on the console, and i cannot help but feel there is something of on this game. I don't know, for me, if star fox get a online mode too, will probably outsell splatoon.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko