By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gen 9 powerwise: how will it be?

i seriously think its time letting consoles being upgradble, just the graphics cards. They should put a very powerful cpu into it and give bundles with no graphicscards, mediocore and very good. And if the CPU becomes obsolete its time for a new console generation.

I could see them killing pc gaming if they would go for such concept, just think about the casuals who dont upgrade their PCs who would jump on it if you could just put a graphics into new consoles and thats it.

Around the Network

I'm willing to bet that it will be the standard power increase or even more.

I'm willing to bet that it will be the standard power increase or even more.

fatslob-:O said:

jonathanalis said:

So i im starting to agreeing with DerpSandwich, and also JustBeingReal. This gen will last until 2022+, and the jump will be massive due the new technologies.Nintendo would release a console at 17/18, but will be powered near to ps4 power.

Doubt it, unless ofcourse Nintendo wants to deal with a $599 or higher price tag like the PS3 did ...

why?

PS4 is now sold by 330$, in 4 years this technology will drop the price, of course nintendo could sell a piece of hardware near to ps4 for less than this in 2018.

JustBeingReal said:
jonathanalis said:
one think is what is possible to do, and other is what they would do.
here in brazil, there is no need for 4k displays, not even 1080p.Now the TVs are starting to show HD images, only netflix uses 1080p.
If 4k TVs wont be popularized in the next gen times, they wont deliver 4k on consoles. But it that happens, there will be no need for a generation leap.
So i im starting to agreeing with DerpSandwich, and also JustBeingReal. This gen will last until 2022+, and the jump will be massive due the new technologies.Nintendo would release a console at 17/18, but will be powered near to ps4 power.

I never said this generation would last until 2022, it won't because there won't be a need for that to happen, AMD's Zen CPU core tech comes in early 2016, along with a new smaller mobile core, they're stacking High Bandwidth Memory on their R9 390X GPU's die in 2015 and Crossbar can go into production with their RRAM tech in late 2015.

3 years from now this technology will have evolved, making vast improvements and actually become very mature.

Nintendo can very well be the first platform holder to use it in 2018, with it being cost effective and their system would be much more powerful than PS4.

good to hear that!

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Who knows what standard tech will be like 5+ years from now. I'll guess though they'll finally be able to handle 1080p 60fps as a standard or maybe even 1440p. If 4k is inexpensive to the average consumer when PS5 and Xbox 2 release, then we could see 4k as a standard (one can dream )

VR could be standard if it's successful enough this gen, not sure we'll see Kinect next gen. I just hope Nintendo makes their next console powerful enough to get 3rd party support this time around. I'm sure a lot of Nintendo fans would like to only have to buy one console to play EA, Ubisoft, Activision, SE, Capcom, and on and on.

I think RAM will be 32 GB max for next gen consoles, I see no reason for 128 GB of RAM.

I can't speak for all Nintendo fans, but personally I don't miss the third-party multiplats. Generally I've bought Nintendo consoles for Nintendo-published games and the occasional interesting third-party game tailored to the console. Most of the third-party offerings are shooters or open-world games, which generally don't interest me.

The few that do, I can get on PC.

I could see Sony getting close to 4k (first party games being 4k) and the others falling slightly behind like this gen with 1080p.

Thanks jlmurph!

jonathanalis said:

why?

PS4 is now sold by 330$, in 4 years this technology will drop the price, of course nintendo could sell a piece of hardware near to ps4 for less than this in 2018.

You may get more transistors per die space but there will be no improvements in terms of transistors per price ...

Technology won't get cheaper in the near future, price mostly depends on the adoption of EUV or some other lithographic technologies ... 

tripenfall said:
platformmaster918 said:
tripenfall said:
Its very difficult to predict, as Sony and Microsoft will be probably hoping for a 6-7 year cycle with their current consoles, making it 2019-2020 before the new tech arrives. Nintendo however favour a 5-6 year cycle and are 2 years along so they may release new hardware in 2017-2018. This will be very interesting if this happens. Even the big N realizes that the main obstacle that they currently face with 3rd party support is the fact that PS4/PC/Xbone games cant be easily ported over to Wii U and devs don't want to take the risk.
Could it be that Nintendo launch something significantly more powerful than Sony/Microsoft 2 years before the competition are ready to upgrade?
If you really want to know what the next consoles will perform like look to what the very best PC's are doing today and that's about right.
One things for sure, if I have to endure a 3rd generation in a row where 1080p/60fps isn't standard I am going to shit a chicken.

isn't this the 8th straight gen where 1080p 60fps isn't the standard?

ha ha! I still remember PS3 promising 1080HD visuals so PS5 had better deliver. As for 4K, no chance IMO

standard is the problem.  PS3 COULD do 1080p 60fps on dual screens.  Just don't ask for much gameplay wise.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

i hope it has enough power where i dont see popin, jaggies, and jaggy formations in gta

Play Me