By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Building a PC, Thoughts about this Specs

Captain_Tom said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
@OP: just a suggestion, 8GB can be fine for now, but it's the bare minimum, and if you see you're going to need more, don't make my mistake, upgrade the RAM before DDR3 goes out of production, or at latest little time after, because when it will go out of production its price will stopp dropping, and after a while it will rise again.

8GB is not not the bare minimum at all.  4 is.   8GB will be fine for many years.

Having 4GB (last time I made a partial upgrade I chose to upgrade from onboard HD3300 to an R7 250 GPU on card because buying another 4GB DDR2 ECC would have cost me almost the same for a much smaller performance boost except under heavy memory load, and anyhow the GPU upgrade allowed me to free the half GB previously used by the  onboard GPU) I can say I both agree and disagree: yes 4GB are enough for most games and obviously for every 32bit game, but using the PC for other than games they start being uncomfortable under heavy memory load, for example opening many tabs on the browser, then also opening images in a graphic editor the system slows down noticeably. 8GB are enough now, but they could become not particularly comfortable in a near future. In any case I don't suggest the OP to absolutely upgrade the RAM immediately, just to try and predict the possible future necessity of such upgrade with enough advance and in that case do it before DDR3 prices start rising again.

LOL 8GB of RAM just became the standard.  Right now is just how 4GB became the standard 7 years ago.  The consoles only have 8GB TOTAL, and so I can 100% guaruntee everyone here that 8GB will be enough for at least 5 more years.

I'm not talking about games, but the other uses of a PC. I agree that multiplat games will be fine with 8GB (if you don't let too many programs open in the background) at least until the end of this gen, and probably also for another year, but PC SW devs  knowing every recent PC has at least 8GB will start using more RAM for their programs and let editors open larger files. Large and ambitious PC games will be the last to suffer, because they are usually run without leaving other big programs open, but they could eventually start. Heavy multitasking of non-gaming PC programs will start suffering first.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

^^ I've noticed that with certain users already. A lot of PC owners don't have the knowledge or discipline to keep the background stuff to a minimum. A bulky AV suite along with a bunch of other miscellaneous background junk can actually make 8GB tight in the wrong hands.

8GB IS definitely fine, but like money, you can't have too much ram. The question is, at what point does it present a good value? I like to advise people to get a 2x4GB pack to start out with, and make sure their mobo has 4 slots. Then if a great sale comes along and you can scoop up another 8GB to pop in there, all the better. 16GB is really hard to run into the wall with, and 32GB and beyond, well, the scenarios are few and far between to even make use of them.

Arkaign said:
I think your post may be incomplete. The Athlon x4 is a dumpster fire at this point. I do think the i5 is worth the investment though over the i3. I don't know if the 4300 will ever take off though, it's a 2 module 4 thread chip, whereas the i3 is 2 core 4 thread. Even upcoming games like Project Cars and Evolve have the Haswell i3 beating the 4 module 8 thread 8350, let alone the lowly 4300. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that's a tall order for it to improve that much. Either way the Haswell i5 should be the entry level, no sense going with slow ipc of FX anything, or dual core i3 unless funds are crazy limited.

Yeah it was.  Some weird formating issue.  I didn't say the athlon is some golden CPU, only that it is the best ~$75 option.

Arkaign said:
^^ I've noticed that with certain users already. A lot of PC owners don't have the knowledge or discipline to keep the background stuff to a minimum. A bulky AV suite along with a bunch of other miscellaneous background junk can actually make 8GB tight in the wrong hands.

8GB IS definitely fine, but like money, you can't have too much ram. The question is, at what point does it present a good value? I like to advise people to get a 2x4GB pack to start out with, and make sure their mobo has 4 slots. Then if a great sale comes along and you can scoop up another 8GB to pop in there, all the better. 16GB is really hard to run into the wall with, and 32GB and beyond, well, the scenarios are few and far between to even make use of them.

Yeah that's what a lot of people don't seem to get: I can get more ram whenever I want!

Also, I usually have about 6 tabs, a dozen programs, and a high-powered game running all at once.  I have never seen ram usage even hit 6GB.  Don't waste your money people.  16GB is stupid overkill for gaming.

Everything is good except I would opt for a slightly better motherboard as that one only supports older technologies. Also as most others have pointed out you would benefit greatly if you upgrade to an R9 285 or R9 280X. Also be sure to get a power supplly that is at least 80 plus silver. Take advantage of sales! Most important part of biulding your rig is being cost efficient and price savvy. Whatever you decide on have fun!