By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Building a PC, Thoughts about this Specs

Personally, I think the 8-core is slightly overkill for gaming. Most games don't even use more than 4 at a time.

In my opinion, you should go with the 6-core 6350 (or 6300, if you're confident in overclocking). The money you saved on the CPU could then be put towards the newer, more powerful Radeon R9 280X GPU.

EDIT: I meant the 285.

And regarding your Power Supply: Make sure it's a good one! Don't cheap out on the PSU. It's very important to get a good, reliable PSU. Because a Power Supply failure can destroy the rest of your PC, or worse, can cause a fire.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Around the Network

Use this site, it tells you if there are any incompatible parts. i used it and it told me I had a incompatibility. All you have to do is add all the parts and on the top it will tell you if there is anything wrong with the pc build. There is usually a incompatibilty with the case.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Also click the rating tab so you can see which has the best ratings, if you want.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

sc94597 said:
vivster said:
sc94597 said:
vivster said:

re more than enough to have the system running at full power. You can take 550W to be on the safe side but more will be thrown out money and your PSU will run less efficent at idle performance.

Normally this is true, but the R9 280/280x/290 are very power-hungry. They can get as high as 280 Watts consumption. If his CPU wasn't also power-hungry he could likely get by with 500W, but his CPU has benchmarked to max at about 160W. That can be up to 420-440W usage for the CPU+ GPU alone. Considering that many of the average 500W rated PSU's really run around 450W, I wouldn't risk it. Heck, I have a Pentium G3258 (max watt consumption about 70 w) and an 280x, and was a bit worried that my 500W PSU wasn't enough. There are some good deals on 550W-600W PSU's though. I bought my 500W PSU for $40 and got a $20 rebate, which went to my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire purchase. The 600W version was only $15 more. 

Well I checked my sources before saying this. A whole system with overclocked 280X and a 4770k consumes about 350W. The 8350 consumes about 100W more than the i7. That's why 500W would be fine(if it is a good PSU it will deliver close to 500W) and 550W to be safe. Everything above that would be wasted unless he plans to overclock his CPU and get an overclocked 290X. I'm not used calculating with AMD.

My next system will be with an i7 and big Maxwell and I'm planning on getting a PSU around 400W and not bigger than 450W.

Here are some benchmarks for the 280x. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-18.html

In Metro: Las Light it averages at 207 Watts. That means it likely peaks at the TDP of 250 Watts. 

Here are some benchmarks for the FX8350

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-16.html

It averages at 182.21 Watts. 

206 + 182.21 = 388.21 on average from the GPU and CPU alone. 

Now the peak power consumption can be higher than that, and it will be with more demanding games. Basically it depends on the model and the brand of the power supply. There is an Antec supply that my friend is looking at that really can do 550 watts continously but is rated for 500 watts. Meanwhile certain Corsiar supplies are rated at 500 watts and really only output 450 watts continously. Both are highly regarded brands. Nevertheless, if you can consider a situation in which the CPU and GPU can peak within 50 watts of your power supplies rating, then that isn't enough, because that means your PC will shut down at those peaks (there are other components drawing power.) And if you ever were to consider the concept of overclocking (even if you don't think you will now) then you are pretty screwed. And it is all to save $10-$15 (usually the cost difference of 50-100 more watts with the same model.) 

And for you too. I don't use TDP for my calculation. I use tests that measured the power consumption of the whole system at the socket. So when I'm saying the PC will in its whole draw 450 that is not conjecture but measured fact. Taking it at peak efficiciency the system will draw at most 410W directly from the PSU.

I'm not arguing for the sake of a few bucks but more out of principle. An Oversized PSU will always draw more power out of the socket than a perfectly fit smaller PSU. So 500 is good, 550 is still good. 600 will not plunge you into poverty but it's inefficient and so is everything above for this system.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

cpg716 said:
vivster said:
sc94597 said:
vivster said:

re more than enough to have the system running at full power. You can take 550W to be on the safe side but more will be thrown out money and your PSU will run less efficent at idle performance.

Normally this is true, but the R9 280/280x/290 are very power-hungry. They can get as high as 280 Watts consumption. If his CPU wasn't also power-hungry he could likely get by with 500W, but his CPU has benchmarked to max at about 160W. That can be up to 420-440W usage for the CPU+ GPU alone. Considering that many of the average 500W rated PSU's really run around 450W, I wouldn't risk it. Heck, I have a Pentium G3258 (max watt consumption about 70 w) and an 280x, and was a bit worried that my 500W PSU wasn't enough. There are some good deals on 550W-600W PSU's though. I bought my 500W PSU for $40 and got a $20 rebate, which went to my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire purchase. The 600W version was only $15 more. 

Well I checked my sources before saying this. A whole system with overclocked 280X and a 4770k consumes about 350W. The 8350 consumes about 100W more than the i7. That's why 500W would be fine(if it is a good PSU it will deliver close to 500W) and 550W to be safe. Everything above that would be wasted unless he plans to overclock his CPU and get an overclocked 290X. I'm not used calculating with AMD.

My next system will be with an i7 and big Maxwell and I'm planning on getting a PSU around 400W and not bigger than 450W.

Most people go by the idea that you do DOUBLE your max CPU/GPU .. SO if its 350W.. You would want to do 700W+..      and I like I suggested..  going 750+ will allow him to Crossfire later on.. 

I generally calculate only 80% power output (the minimum efficiency requirement for an 80+ psu), and substract from them max TDP GPU, max TDP CPU, 50W for Mainboard and RAM, disc and hard drives and other things possibly connected.

Some hardware with a tendency to consume more than their TDP sells give them additional extra Watts, in this case 30W for the FX CPU and 20W for the 280 GPU, for a total of 50W extra power need. I generally also leave a bit headspace in case the psu deteriorates.

Here, we got 140W CPU, 180W GPU, 50W Bonus for their consumption behavior, and 50W for Mainboard, drives and others, for a grand total of 420W; and 450W with the aforementioned headspace. 80% out of 600W are 480W, so just above my headspace. 550W psu will work too (440W with 80% efficiency rule), but I wouldn't go down to or even below 500W for this particular configuration.

@Vivster: do you use 80+ gold or even platinum psu? Because if not, you're riding dangerously close to the limit with your projected i7/Big Maxwell configuration. A 450W psu might suffice, but I wouldn't take a 400W, even though it will probably work just fine. The reason it does so though is that low power psu are generally just regraded psu with more power output, and most of the time this is due to market demands, not limitations on the hardware itself. But if you happen to fall on such a psu some day, expect a lot of bluescreens due to failing power supply.

Bofferbrauer said:

@Vivster: do you use 80+ gold or even platinum psu? Because if not, you're riding dangerously close to the limit with your projected i7/Big Maxwell configuration. A 450W psu might suffice, but I wouldn't take a 400W, even though it will probably work just fine. The reason it does so though is that low power psu are generally just regraded psu with more power output, and most of the time this is due to market demands, not limitations on the hardware itself. But if you happen to fall on such a psu some day, expect a lot of bluescreens due to failing power supply.

Don't power failures due to low output usually result in black screens?

My current setup is a 3570k and an overclocked GTX680. I'm using a 480W Gold certified PSU from BeQuiet. I also use a fairly accurate measurement tool where my PSU is plugged in.

On performance tests and games my power consumption barely moves above 300W. That includes the efficiency rate of the PSU of course so the actual power that is drawn directly from the PSU is even lower.

Maxwell is extremely efficient compared to previous generations which results in a 980 that uses about as much as my 680 while being more powerful. I expect the big Maxwell will be around a 780ti concerning power consumption, which is for the full system about 350W including a current i7. Again, that's out of the socket, meaning the direct power draw from the PSU is lower.

So I have absolutely no worries going into my next system with a 400W PSU. If I can find one with enough cables for my system. Lower power PSU are usually pretty stingy with more cables. That's why I had to use a 480W for my current system.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Bofferbrauer said:

Don't power failures due to low output usually result in black screens?

My current setup is a 3570k and an overclocked GTX680. I'm using a 480W Gold certified PSU from BeQuiet. I also use a fairly accurate measurement tool where my PSU is plugged in.

On performance tests and games my power consumption barely moves above 300W. That includes the efficiency rate of the PSU of course so the actual power that is drawn directly from the PSU is even lower.

Maxwell is extremely efficient compared to previous generations which results in a 980 that uses about as much as my 680 while being more powerful. I expect the big Maxwell will be around a 780ti concerning power consumption, which is for the full system about 350W including a current i7. Again, that's out of the socket, meaning the direct power draw from the PSU is lower.

So I have absolutely no worries going into my next system with a 400W PSU. If I can find one with enough cables for my system. Lower power PSU are usually pretty stingy with more cables. That's why I had to use a 480W for my current system.

Depends if a part gets no power at all or just not enough power, but you're right, black screens can happen, too.

I know the 980 is very efficient, moreso than your 680. On the other hand the 4770k conumes more than your 3570k, so it is a bit of a toss up. I would stay at your 480W psu if it's still in production or use a similar one, be quiet is a very good brand (using it myself, although a 5 year old 600W 80+ bronze model), and it's a gold model just like I expected from you.

Bofferbrauer said:

Depends if a part gets no power at all or just not enough power, but you're right, black screens can happen, too.

I know the 980 is very efficient, moreso than your 680. On the other hand the 4770k conumes more than your 3570k, so it is a bit of a toss up. I would stay at your 480W psu if it's still in production or use a similar one, be quiet is a very good brand (using it myself, although a 5 year old 600W 80+ bronze model), and it's a gold model just like I expected from you.

Don't think I will take my old PSU. It would be the only part I'd keep from my old PC and I'd rather have a backup PC. I will probably not find a 400W PSU that satisfies my needs so I will probably go for 450 or 480 again anyway.

New stuff is nice. Looking really forward to it. If only Nvidia and Intel would hurry up with big Maxwell and Broadwell.

Skidmore said:

I was never into PC gaming, so I am not sure about how long and how this setup will peform, I would like some thougts or alternatives in the same budget:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 AM3 4,2GHZ

GPU: ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DDR5 - Tahiti pro 2

Memory: Kingstom DDR3-RAM 8GB PC3-14900

HD: 256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD (Brand to be decided)

MotherBoard: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3

PSU: I was thinking about a 550 or 600W.

Honestly this is a solid setup.  I would reccomend the R9 290 at $270 is you can swing the extra cash, but otherwise you have got a solid build.

Sentient_Nebula said:
Personally, I think the 8-core is slightly overkill for gaming. Most games don't even use more than 4 at a time.

In my opinion, you should go with the 6-core 6350 (or 6300, if you're confident in overclocking). The money you saved on the CPU could then be put towards the newer, more powerful Radeon R9 280X GPU.

The 280X is no newer than the 280, and he sould NOT get that right now (280X is fairly overpriced).  However an FX-6300 + R9 290 wouldn't be a bad idea.

@OP: just a suggestion, 8GB can be fine for now, but it's the bare minimum, and if you see you're going to need more, don't make my mistake, upgrade the RAM before DDR3 goes out of production, or at latest little time after, because when it will go out of production its price will stopp dropping, and after a while it will rise again.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!