By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Koji Kondo isn't doing the music for Zelda U, who should?

the_dengle said:
Link Between Worlds only needed one composer because it only had like a half-dozen new songs.

Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword each had 3-5 composers attached to them and it will be the same for Zelda Wii U.

None of that is true. Not only did it have a ton of new peices, but it's almost as difficult to arrange existing pieces in new and unique ways as it is to create entirely new words. It's not somehow less time consuming or less work. This is coming from a musician.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

Kenji Yamamoto and David Wise.

Yamamoto is more suited toward ambient/atmospheric soundtracks. I don't think Zelda U woud be a very good fit for him.

David Wise could work. DKTF had some amazing tracks in it and I can see his compositinal genius transfering over to a fantasy setting.

Honestly, this is a long shot and probably won't happen but it would be awesome to see Yasunori Mitsuda. He's done soundtracks such as Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

AgentZorn said:
Samus Aran said:

Kenji Yamamoto and David Wise.

Yamamoto is more suited toward ambient/atmospheric soundtracks. I don't think Zelda U woud be a very good fit for him.

David Wise could work. DKTF had some amazing tracks in it and I can see his compositinal genius transfering over to a fantasy setting.

I love ambient/atmospheric soundtracks and think it would suit Zelda just fine. The main track would have to be powerful and catchy though, I agree with you there. 

spemanig said:
the_dengle said:
Link Between Worlds only needed one composer because it only had like a half-dozen new songs.

Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword each had 3-5 composers attached to them and it will be the same for Zelda Wii U.

None of that is true. Not only did it have a ton of new peices, but it's almost as difficult to arrange existing pieces in new and unique ways as it is to create entirely new words. It's not somehow less time consuming or less work. This is coming from a musician.

I'm not sure who said it anymore, but he said it was even more difficult to work with someone elses music and remix it then to make brand new music. Might have been David Wise. Might also have been one of the composers for the early Mario games, I really forgot lol. Yeah, I think it was the latter.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

It shows. There's two Dark World remixes in A Link Between Worlds and they got them both wrong.

Are you serious? Lol, I think they both shit on the original.

EDIT: And by "shit on," I obviously mean that they were significantly better than the originals.

mZuzek said:

Nah, they both fail. The awesome thing about the original is how it managed to sound epic and grand while also being upbeat and exciting. Kinda like the Super Smash Bros. Melee theme, but way better. And I've failed to hear any Dark World remix ever that recaptures that awesome feeling the original had, be it fanmade or not.

They definitely don't fail. I think the "epic" and "grand" sound came more from your imagination than from the actual theme, because I never got that feeling from the original, and that is my favorite theme from ALttP. Upbeat, and exciting? Absolutely. Epic? Definitely not. And Lorule 2 definitely feels grand, unlike the original. That's not why it's better, but it definitely lends itself more to a larger scale than the original.

mZuzek said:

Well compare it to the Lorule 1 or the Brawl remix and you'll find the "epic" in it. Compare it to Lorule 2 or some Smash 4 remixes (or pretty much any fanmade remix EVER) and you'll find the upbeat. It had both.

I hate the Smash remix of the Zelda tunes, so I wouldn't compare anything good to those. I don't think neither Lorule 1 or Dark World sound epic at all, and while I don't think that Lorule 2 is as upbeat, the arrangent benefits from it.

I agree that SS had a weak soundtrack, and I'd rather see none of those composer's return. I did very much like ALBW soundtrack, but most of them were remixes, and I don't know which ones were original. But get that guy from ALBW and maybe team vim up with those that made TPs music?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

mZuzek said:

Yeah, most Zelda remixes in Smash aren't that great, but there are a couple of really good ones (that Gerudo Valley, omg.). But whatever, this argument is getting pretty pointless since it's entirely based on opinion by this point. And my opinion is, I wasn't a big fan of the Link Between Worlds soundtrack so I don't wanna see something like it back. I mean, there were some really good themes there, such as Hilda's theme and Lorule Castle (among a few others), but I just didn't like how the music sounded. There was something off about it. I also wasn't that big of a fan of most of the remixes, even if they were still good.

But whatever. A Skyward Sword type of soundtrack feels like it would be very fitting for this game and I'd love to see that style of music back as it was really awesome.

Yeah lol I feel like we're poster children for how Zelda fans can never be satisfied.