By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony + Nintendo Have A Deal For a Super Mario Movie

aLkaLiNE said:
This is awesome news if true although I'm somewhat weary.

Should Nintendo collapse (god forbid) then I think it's wise for Sony to preemptively form a healthy relationship with the house that Mario built.

Honestly, who wouldn't wet themselves over Super Smash Bros PS6?

No offense, but I really think that Sony/Microsoft, or at least their gaming divisions, would collapse long before Nintendo ever will. They've got their issues, but as long as people love their games, people will also buy their consoles to play them. And if the rumors about their future system being a portable/home unit hybrid (basically just furthering the design that Wii U and it's GamePad started already), then they'd have one unified system down the road anyway, so less investment/risk. I think they'll be around, as a console maker, for as long as the video game industry itself lasts. Not saying I couldn't be wrong, but I really don't see them collapsing.

Around the Network

Oh god. I just realized there will be voice acting (hopefully). I hope they don't get the same voice actors from Super Mario Sunshine.

DanneSandin said:
SwooshX said:
DanneSandin said:

And that's kind of the problem with Nintendo; they don't seem willing to spend money to earn money. Having their own movie production company would allow them to make sure the movies turn out good. I've said that Mario, and perhaps more so, Metroid would make great movies. If done right. I'm not sure Sony can do that.

Production IG seem to be a pretty good fit though; they've worked with Nintendo before.

Yeah but do we even know if Nintendo could make a good movie? We saw what happened when Metroid's creator was given full story control for a more cinematic Metroid. Imagine sitting through 2 hours of that in a theater. "The baby ... the baby ... the baby ...". 

This is a GREAT video why Other M failed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFm1ei6mjo really, you should watch it, 11 min long.

But I agree, Nintendo haven't really shown any great writing chops. Their games have thin stories. But setting up a new company means hiring guys that knows what they're doing. Don't let Nintendo write the story! Hire someone who understands that shit.

Have you ever took the time to read all the scan logs in the Metroid Prime trilogy? Great story in my opinion, especially Prime 2. The fact that you read these stories in the areas they took place creates a very strong ambience. For example: a fallen Luminoth tells his story about how he fought against a pack of Ing warriors. He defeated them one by one. The Ing were afraid and didn't dare attack the mighty Luminoth Warrior, but then the leader of the Ing pack came and they fought a ferocious battle. The Ing died, but he wounded the Luminoth Warrior greatly, but in his last moments he felt a bond of mutual respect between the mortal enemy of his race. All that's left is his corpse and the tale it tells. The fact that I can still remember this after all these years says one thing: I have a great memory. :p (and the story is awesome!)

Samus Aran said:

Mario is as interesting as a brick. His games are good, but Mario the character sucks and always has. Even Luigi has more personality than him. And that guy's a loser!

Give me a Zelda or Metroid animated movie please. Or even Pikmin (I know about the short movies). Or Donkey Kong would be cool too.

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show would like to have a few words with you. If only the mainstream depiction of Mario from my childhood, that of a street savvy, Brooklyn plumber, who magically found himself warped to the Mushroom Kingdom, had lasted. Instead, we now get the comical Italian stereotype caricature with the cute, squeaky voice. Don't get me wrong, I like Charles Martinet just fine.....but at the same time, that squeaky "It'sa ME, WAHOOOO!" Mario......is just not "MARIO" to me. Never will be.

DevilRising said:
Samus Aran said:

Mario is as interesting as a brick. His games are good, but Mario the character sucks and always has. Even Luigi has more personality than him. And that guy's a loser!

Give me a Zelda or Metroid animated movie please. Or even Pikmin (I know about the short movies). Or Donkey Kong would be cool too.

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show would like to have a few words with you. If only the mainstream depiction of Mario from my childhood, that of a street savvy, Brooklyn plumber, who magically found himself warped to the Mushroom Kingdom, had lasted. Instead, we now get the comical Italian stereotype caricature with the cute, squeaky voice. Don't get me wrong, I like Charles Martinet just fine.....but at the same time, that squeaky "It'sa ME, WAHOOOO!" Mario......is just not "MARIO" to me. Never will be.

I agree, Mario's voice acting is horrible. It doesn't fit Mario at all. Luckily he doesn't speak or more people would become aware of how bad it is. 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
DanneSandin said:

This is a GREAT video why Other M failed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFm1ei6mjo really, you should watch it, 11 min long.

But I agree, Nintendo haven't really shown any great writing chops. Their games have thin stories. But setting up a new company means hiring guys that knows what they're doing. Don't let Nintendo write the story! Hire someone who understands that shit.

Have you ever took the time to read all the scan logs in the Metroid Prime trilogy? Great story in my opinion, especially Prime 2. The fact that you read these stories in the areas they took place creates a very strong ambience. For example: a fallen Luminoth tells his story about how he fought against a pack of Ing warriors. He defeated them one by one. The Ing were afraid and didn't dare attack the mighty Luminoth Warrior, but then the leader of the Ing pack came and they fought a ferocious battle. The Ing died, but he wounded the Luminoth Warrior greatly, but in his last moments he felt a bond of mutual respect between the mortal enemy of his race. All that's left is his corpse and the tale it tells. The fact that I can still remember this after all these years says one thing: I have a great memory. :p (and the story is awesome!)

Yeah, but that wasn't Nintendo, now was it? Retro knows how to write a good story, but I'm not too sure Nintendo can write an entire movie by themselves. Granted, Skyward Sword had great chemistry between Link and Zelda, so maybe there's hope.

Anywways, regarding your other post: "Mario is as interesting as a brick. His games are good, but Mario the character sucks and always has." That's the point though. I don't think Sony can make THAT character interesting! I would much rather have seen Mario done by Pixar. They can make good characters without hardly having a diolouge; Up and Wall-e comes to mind.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Samus Aran said:
DanneSandin said:

Yeah, but that wasn't Nintendo, now was it? Retro knows how to write a good story, but I'm not too sure Nintendo can write an entire movie by themselves. Granted, Skyward Sword had great chemistry between Link and Zelda, so maybe there's hope.

Anywways, regarding your other post: "Mario is as interesting as a brick. His games are good, but Mario the character sucks and always has." That's the point though. I don't think Sony can make THAT character interesting! I would much rather have seen Mario done by Pixar. They can make good characters without hardly having a diolouge; Up and Wall-e comes to mind.

Retro Studios IS Nintendo. 

DanneSandin said:
Samus Aran said:
DanneSandin said:

You can hire writers. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Nintendo saving Sony!

Samus Aran said:
DanneSandin said:

Retro Studios IS Nintendo. 

It's a part of Nintendo, yes. But they're located in Texas with a mainly american work force (I suspect), but the point still stands though.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.