By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Early Gen vs. Late Gen

Do you guys think we will see this level of improvement later in this gen? I mean, we already have some sweet looking games this early! :D

Around the Network

I dont think we'll see a big improvement from early to end gen as we did last gen

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Definitely with more optimised engines. But I just can't picture it looking any better since it already looks so good *.*

Hard to tell really, it will look great later this gen no matter what but idk if we will have the same level of improvements (or maybe notice them anyway) as that cause the Cell was a bitch to work with so there was always room for improvement. But who knows

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

PwerlvlAmy said:
I dont think we'll see a big improvement from early to end gen as we did last gen

agreed

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Yep, people really need to chill out with the 'no improvement from last gen' stuff. Give it some time and this gens games will be leaps and bounds ahead of last gen.

That really isn't what this thread is about? :)

PwerlvlAmy said:

I think "big improvemenet" is inherently setting the bar a little too high, especially if we are to make our assertions from the pics shown in the OP. However, I strongly believe that we will at least see a similar increase in fidelity and/or perfromance this gen like veery single console generation before this one. 

With how games are made, and how consoles are structured, its pretty much impossible to not see improvements as the gen progresses. Unless you want to believe that right now they are using the hardware as efficeintly as they possibly can. 

PwerlvlAmy said:

I think "big improvemenet" is inherently setting the bar a little too high, especially if we are to make our assertions from the pics shown in the OP. However, I strongly believe that we will at least see a similar increase in fidelity and/or perfromance this gen like veery single console generation before this one. 

With how games are made, and how consoles are structured, its pretty much impossible to not see improvements as the gen progresses. Unless you want to believe that right now they are using the hardware as efficeintly as they possibly can. 

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Hard to tell really, it will look great later this gen no matter what but idk if we will have the same level of improvements (or maybe notice them anyway) as that cause the Cell was a bitch to work with so there was always room for improvement. But who knows

The X360 saw the same level of improvement. The CPU used on last gen and this gen is irrelevant. Cell only served to avoid some shortcomings of the PS3's weak GPU. Last gen consoles used pretty standard GPUs, so do the new ones. The only difference is PowerPC to x86 and that isn't important. It's only relevant to your compiler, the CPUs are pretty much the same to develop for.

Obviously games later in the gen will look better do to develope being more familiar with the hardware but I'm not sure the difference will be as big as last gen.

From what I hear, PS3 was a pain in the ass to develop for while PS4 is much easier so in theory developers should be able to show what it's potential much earlier in its life.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.