By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Michigan House Passed Bill Allowing EMTs To Refuse Treatment To Gay People.

wow that bill sounds like it goes directly against what I learned of Jesus' teachings as a christian

well, ofcourse it doesn't say "don't treat xxx", but rather "you are allowed to refuse treatment to xxx", but man I'd feel disgusted by any EMT who actually makes use of this "freedom"

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
wow that bill sounds like it goes directly against what I learned of Jesus' teachings as a christian

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Nowhere in the passage does it say "Unless the Samaritan is gay", thus you are correct

At least gays don't have to worry about being shot buy the cops and not getting justice because the cop was scared of his gayness which made him feel less masculine and heterosexual.

It is truly sad that I have to clarify this but for all the people worrying about a "fascist Christian state"... here you go:

Absolutely NOTHING in the Bible would indicate for us Christians to do ANYTHING harmful, wrong, or unloving towards either fellow believers or non-believers. We are called to LOVE all as Christ loves us. Christ never told us to hate fellow humans. We are called to minister to the lost, to show love towards others even when they throw nothing but hate at us, and to live our lives focused on Christ.

If this law truly supports the concept of people refusing to give aid to someone simply because of their homosexuality, then it is NOT Christian. Please don't say it is. If your going to hate Christ and the body of Christ, at least understand what your hating and don't make up a bunch of nonsense. Christ wants us to pursue and love those who don't yet know HIM. How on earth would we be following Christ by allowing someone (intentionally) to die or be harmed (due to their homosexuality) knowing that they aren't saved? The loving thing to do would be to work your BUTT off to save their lives and minister to them in the process (or after). We all need Jesus and what could be gained by intentionally allowing someone to die prior to them accepting Christ as their savior?

The idea of someone "claiming" to be a Christian all the while refusing to save someone's life due to their sin would indicate that the person refusing to do the saving isn't truly saved by Christ him or herself. People have who have accepted Christ as their savior have their hearts CHANGED and they feel love towards others. This brings me to my last point.

Just because people SAY they are a Christian or just because some lawmakers SAY they believe in Christ or just because some laws are apparently BIBLICAL does not mean any of that is true. Christianity is NOT a culture thing. You are not born a Christian. No one on Earth is born with salvation. That is something you have to accept at some point in your life or choose to not accept it (via Jesus Christ). Don't assume everything crazy extremists do in the far right wing of the Republican party is tied in with ACTUAL FOUNDATIONAL Christian beliefs.

If this law truly is meant to deprive gays of aid, then it is simply not a true Christ focused law.

Where is the actual bill itself?  I can't take the ACLU's word for it

An EMT can't refuse to save someone.  That's nonsense.

Around the Network

It is just a stunt. Jan Brewer, let me repeat, Jan effing Brewer vetoed a similar bill. This will be DOA. It is nothing more than something these politicians can send out to 70 year old white people to get them to vote for them saying "I voted for X bill"

As a nurse in MI (Ann Arbor, my safe sweet little bubble of kindness), I can attest there actually isn't much to this other than a grab at headlines and it has really very little to do with health care. There are too many obligations based on licensure for this to EVER become more than a headline and fundraising vote.

Also, the article mentioning pharmacists refusing to fill HIV prescriptions is hyperbole. HIV is a virus that everyone (well...) knows can be transmitted in ways other than gay sex (Hello 1988, welcome back). I wonder if these people understand the irony of refusing to help someone (Hello, Jesus) in the name of their religion. Fascinating.

...how would they even know if someone brought to them is gay or not?

So helping someone in need because they are gay is a sin, but allowing someone to die that you have the means to help isn't? Seems legit.

So, how does one go about determining someone's sexuality in an emergency? Do they ask? What if the person is unconscious? Do you refuse to treat anyone until you can verify their sexuality? The levels of insanity here are profound.