By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it Worth it to buy the Wii Component Cables?

When I bought my Wii the guy at GS said not to bother, but I trust the opinion of you guys more. Should I buy them or not, and if yes, which brand is the best combination of performance and cost.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

What TV do you have?

With a good TV, the component cables make a huge difference. It's as if you upgraded your console.

I have the official Nintendo ones, but I didn't try any others so I can't compare.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. When I get Brawl, I'm bringing my Wii to my friends house for a while, and wanted to know if I should buy the cables if it's not too expensive.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Well, if you have an HDTV, the diff is remarkable. I don't know why someone said "No, don't spend your money at our store". They do make a difference, fromo what I've seen.

If you have the $6 or so, a HDTV, and plan to get some 480p WS games on Wii, yes. Hell, I noticed even decent improvements with Zelda.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network

Go online and buy them for like $5+shipping. I bought some, but my tv doesn't do 480p all that well so I left them plugged in over at my parents house and it is a noticeable difference.

You are only going like 6ft with the cables, so pretty much any quality cable other than falling apart will work fine.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Makes the image much more clear and sharp but makes aliasing ( jagged edges ) that more visible and annoying. Overall, definite, astounding YES.

when i went to my cousins house over the holidays and played her wii, i just got turned off by the graphics. there so terrible. i forgot what game i played though, it was that jackie chan style fighting game with swords. she had an hdtv as well.

my ps3 looks sexy even when im playing on my 46 inch hdtv.

routsounmanman said:
Makes the image much more clear and sharp but makes aliasing ( jagged edges ) that more visible and annoying. Overall, definite, astounding YES.

If the increased jaggies annoy you, use 480i mode (it works even with component cables), and you'll get your blurriness back while maintaining the good color quality given by the component cables.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I have the Nintendo ones and play on a HDTV. The difference is amazing. I played Zelda and SMG both with and without the component and comp is definitely a big improvement.

Be aware that the VC games can have troubles (Push A+1+Z in the VC game menu to fix that) and that it VC games will look horrible. I always plug in my scart cable to play VC games.

Some GC games look way better (REmake) others unplayable (Eternal Darkness).