By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U: What is in this Massive World?

I wouldn't rule out DLC but knowing Nintendo, I wouldn't count on that happening right away. I'm quite sure they'll focus on making sure the game feels quite full to begin with.

I'd love to see a range of dungeons that can be completed in any order, though. Either slightly, like Ocarina of Time did with the Spirit and Shadow Temples, or more expansively, like A Link Between Worlds did. It would really allow the player to explore the world however they wanted.

I'm certainly hoping for a range of different terrains, too, which could potentially set it apart from a lot of open-world games that get kind of samey. Volcanic areas, mountains, snow, dense forests, lakes, meadows, cities and villages, canyons, caverns, swamps...

Otherwise, I'm not thinking too hard about what I'd like to see. So long as the world is interesting to explore one way or another, I'll be happy.

Around the Network

The world is Hyrule from Zelda 1. Mountains to the northwest, ocean to the southwest, the major river system with two lakes in the middle. The theme, is back to basics, with exportation, danger and secretes at the core. The GTA comparison is good, because I think they're going to make it where you can basically pick a quest and go do in the world as you see fit.... gradually working toward the game's conclusion.

I wish they'd introduced a new way to traverse the land. Epona is getting really stale.

Duplipost.

Mystro-Sama said:
I wish they'd introduced a new way to traverse the land. Epona is getting really stale.

Epona's been gone for 8 years... 9 by the time the game releases.

Around the Network
Maraccuda said:
As for a gimmick? Well I would really say Zelda games have gimmick rather than a focus. WW was sailing, TP was Dark World, SS was waggle orientated. Hard to say what this Zelda will be focused on from just the 2 short trailers.

I say Bullet Time will be the gimmic.

Please no DLC... Zelda doesn't need it and won't do any good imo

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I liked the team of wild horses, and the idea of Epona running forwards and dodging trees by herself, giving a more realistic horseback riding experience.

Not sure what to think about mid-air slow-motion, or the general feel of sami-ness to a lot of the environment, but it's pretty clear that it isn't finished, so I'll just wait to see more at E3.

Ouroboros24 said:

We should all know by now that Zelda U is going to have a very massive world.  Let's come up with ways for Nintendo to make use of this big world. 

For me, I know I might get a little heat from saying this, but I akin this version of Zelda to GTA, I'm sure I'm not the only one to suggest this.  And because I know others have, my prediction for this mass world is that they are their own separate kingdoms and or have towns or specialty places.  Think Link to the Past with Dark world and light world, instead, kingdom 1, kingdom 2, kingdom 3, etc.  Two things have driven me to this conclusion.  

First off, DLC.  The game will be finished as is with every Zelda game; dungeons, castles, fields, the same fanfare you get with all Zelda games.  But then, Nintendo has created this giant world.  Why not have Link go to another kingdom.  Hyrule, Termina, umm, I can't think of any more zelda overworld maps, but I think you get the gist.  You have to admit, recently Nintendo has embraced this whole microtransaction fad.  But don't fault them, they are using this method very well for the most part.  Of course, this isn't a Nintendo thing to do, or at least Nintendo hasn't done this kind of thing before and so it's sounds like I'm just grasping at straws.  It may be a long shot that Nintendo would do this, but Nintendo has been doing a lot of things differently as of late. 

My next point was why I'm thinking this direction will be taken for Zelda.  Installments.  OOT, MM, WW, TP, SS.  I've played them all and finished them with an exception of Zelda 1 and 2.  With each installment from Ocarina of Time to the most recent Skyward Sword(counting only main console games), there has been a hook, a novelty, a gimmick, an asthetic to the newest installment of Zelda.  For instance, OOT had 3d, target lock, Camera.  Windwaker had traversing a waterworld while you're tripping on all the cellshaded colors.  Twililight Princess had waggle and SS had better waggle.  AS for the Next one, it seems the hook is the world itself.  After Zelda U, where do we go from there?  We don't.  We stop.  We give the Zelda Console team 10 years to work on the next one and Zelda u forward will be lone Zelda game.  New Zelda games every so often by way of DLC at a discounted price from how much ever you would normally pay for a Zelda game.  Under 15 dollars, i would pay.  I mean, honestly, i don't know If any fan would want a lesser Zelda experience than a game where you can actually explore the world of Zelda. 

Of course, maybe if you had a better idea for the game coming up, by all means...

I agree with the main gist, however there are huge differences between micro transactions and DLC so they shouldn't be lumped together. DLC has been around for a long time just in different forms, like expansions with the exception of downloading. Micro transactions fall mostly into MMO's where for a price you can buy in game currency or a cycle of extra experience or pay to level up a character ect.

Should be interesting to see what they do with all of it. I'm looking forward to, and I think the hook will be, the dynamic enemy encounter system like what was shown in the original trailer. Serene, beautiful than intense action / fighting sequence. 

Nice post.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

AnthonyW86 said:

Trees... lots of trees. Good thing the horse can't run in to them. Ow wait does that mean.... you can't interact with the only objects that are there!? OMG there is nothing to do!!

Seriously though i hope there is a lot of fasttravel otherwise it's going to be as boring as sailing in Wind Waker.

There was already fast travel in Wind Waker.