By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox One wins Black Friday in the UK, sales double

Imaginedvl said:
vivster said:
kowenicki said:

I know, I agree.  But when I said price was a massive factor earleir this year many many people scoffed and said no... PS4 is just better in every regard, price isnt relevant.

Price is THE major factor... always is, always will be.

And it's still a nope. Price might be the last factor that pushes people over the edge but it will never be THE major factor. If MS wouldn't have managed the turnaround, people would've still run to PS4 as their only choice. Of course it helps that people are fickle and with bad memory.

You can only entice people with price if they don't think the product is bad to begin with.

People aren't running in droves to get an X1 because it's a few bucks cheaper. It's because they are  convinced of its value which they weren't a year ago.

I totally disagree with you. The major reason why the PS4 is so far ahead (esp. in NA) is because of the price tag. And the sales of the Xbox One during the last 3 weeks proves it. Casual people are going in a shop to buy :

A next generation console

And Xbox One / PS4 are both branded as it. Then they look at the PRICE. Not the CPU, the GPU, or the few pixels they will get with one and not with another.
Now, it is too late anyway esp. in Europe where the Playstation brand was already stronger and people buy a PS4 instead of an Xbox despite the price (which is not lower everywhere yet anyway) because their friends have a PS4.

Another point to prove that is the E3 2013... I mean the only time people said Playstation won the E3 was when? When they announced the price. The price is everything. If (and I know, it is a if and I cannot back it with any proof) but the Xbox One would be at the same price it will be almost even today and if the Xbox One was priced lower it would be in front. Every generation proves it (when a console is launching at the same time).

Lower price sales better than anything else for the same kind of machine

I guess that's why dropping Kinect was the big equalizer and people suddenly bought both consoles equally because of the same price. And it's also the reason why PS4 sold zero consoles on BF because what kind of idiot would buy the more expensive version of the same product? Crazy I tell ya!

The keyword is public perception and your product rises and falls with it. No cheap product will sell if it's universally panned.

X1 sold well because it managed to burn its bad image almost completely out of people's minds. The price drop was just the signal for everyone who was still on the fence.

What will you say if PS4 outsells X1 throughout December even though its price cuts are still in effect?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

If one has to choose which is the MAJOR sales factor to any console it has to be the price.

I´ve been saying that since 2013 E3, it was the biggest MS error. TVTVTVgate, Resolutiongate and Yieldgate (and now Grassgate) wouldn´t have mattered if the XOne with Kinect was $399 or $449 from de begining.

vivster said:

I guess that's why dropping Kinect was the big equalizer and people suddenly bought both consoles equally because of the same price. And it's also the reason why PS4 sold zero consoles on BF because what kind of idiot would buy the more expensive version of the same product? Crazy I tell ya!

The keyword is public perception and your product rises and falls with it. No cheap product will sell if it's universally panned.

X1 sold well because it managed to burn its bad image almost completely out of people's minds. The price drop was just the signal for everyone who was still on the fence.

What will you say if PS4 outsells X1 throughout December even though its price cuts are still in effect?

Bold: Not sure if this was necessary if you want to have a nice and mature discussion about the topic. Factor = will help in either way. It is not All or Nothing

As far as december, we will see. For now the only change resulting of Xbox One success is the price cut so I still believe it is the main factor.
We can see end of december but I'm pretty sure the Xbox One will still be ahead in NA. Not in Europe tho, the PS4 is way too far ahead and there, the popularity / perception factor is just way to big to be countered by the price like in NA. (it is too late in short)

TheBlackNaruto said:
I just have to ask when talking about price.....why is it only relevant when discussing the PS4/XB1 or PS3/360 last gen? I mean if price REALLY was the most important factor then why do the Nintendo consoles bar the Wii always sell the least even though they are the cheapest? This is something that has always bothered me when I see a lot of discussions on here. It just always brings to mind the thought PRICE does not equal VALUE.

Anyway sorry for going off topic....and again congrats on the XB1 winning BF and congrats to BOTH the PS4 and XB1 for what seems to have been INCREDIBLE BF sales!

Price does not equal value , price determine value if combine with another factor like hardware spec, exclusives, better support, and brand and trust factor and those combine with price the result is value. why value is subjective because it has brand recognition on it, which are different from one to another.

but if it's brand that trending on market ( favoribly brand ) then value can be seen as an objective matter.

My goodness there is some hardcore bickering going on in here. Price is an absolutely gigantic factor for holiday shopping. When little Billy tells his mom he wants a new PS4, and the mom goes shopping on Black Friday, the mom sees an Xbox One right next to the PS4 for $70 cheaper. She doesn't have a damn clue what the difference is, so she gets that instead so she can buy more makeup for herself.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
If one has to choose which is the MAJOR sales factor to any console it has to be the price.

I´ve been saying that since 2013 E3, it was the biggest MS error. TVTVTVgate, Resolutiongate and Yieldgate (and now Grassgate) wouldn´t have mattered if the XOne with Kinect was $399 or $449 from de begining.

And games, when Halo 5 comes out the xbox will donimate in the US and UK for a few weeks. Its not all price 

Baalzamon said:
My goodness there is some hardcore bickering going on in here. Price is an absolutely gigantic factor for holiday shopping. When little Billy tells his mom he wants a new PS4, and the mom goes shopping on Black Friday, the mom sees an Xbox One right next to the PS4 for $70 cheaper. She doesn't have a damn clue what the difference is, so she gets that instead so she can buy more makeup for herself.

But then again she is  is buying the console for the kid  who is more willing to buy PS4 for the hype or for their friends. or maybe you want so many Xbox one returned because the kid dont want to play the console

poklane said:
kowenicki said:
poklane said:

Yeah, XB1 really showed that when there was nothing exclusive releasing and there were no deals going on during Q1-Q3 this year.

So, tell me what changed?  what do you think did this?  Could it.... no... surely.... please dont tell me price is 95% of the reason..... it cant be that because people ridiculed that opinion.

The only reason XB1 is outselling the PS4 in the UK (and US) currently is that it's having way better deals than the PS4, deals Microsoft wont continue into 2015. If the price is even then PS4 will outsell it.

Sure, the only way MS can compete in UK and NA is giving away games for free and sell XOne at roughly $200 as a value into Bundle.  These are fire sales to create some momentum and PR, but after that it will be the standard PS4>XOne in any territory.  

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Baalzamon said:

This mother would pick up a 360 or PS3 or Wii or WiiU or any other gaming system which is cheaper than Xbone or PS4.

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:
kowenicki said:

No, it was in the UK charts thread last week.  Gribble and Ethomaz (plus many others) banging on about domination in the UK. 

that was a joke LMAO. A humble joke to be more precise and it's funny you say price is 95% of the reason consoles sell. You like that number don't you :) 

I am using it in the same context.  I am resurrecting it if you will...  

Never used it for anything else I am aware of...

Why else did the ONE suddenly manage to put some wins in if it wasn't price?   I'm all ears.

The UK and The US has always been the xbox's strongest market. Lets focus on the UK. 360 had the strangledhold last gen so it would be expect to continue or get stronger this gen. PS4 hit the ground running and many of the early 360/PS3 adopters went with the PS4. There is a sizable lead and that will still be there after Xmas considering the X1 is getting a tiny win each week. 

It's had the better exclusives this fall and i beleive that's a major factor. I also believe after Xmas the PS4 will begin outselling it again and the small wins now will be nullified witin a few months. Price is a major factor but not the major factor. There are other equally as important factors. If the X1 was sold at 99$ but got 2 games a year it wouldn't sell. It's not just about price you know. People don't play with their receipts when they get their console they play with games.