By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Franchises that Have Gone Sour

I got my sources to determine which games were better from www.gamerankings.com, www.gamespot.com, www.neoseeker.com, and sales figures from www.vgchartz.com. 95% of the time, it's the newer games that are worse.

1. Star Fox
Good: Star Fox, Star Fox 64
Worse: Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Command

2. Crash Bandicoot
Good: Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot: Cortex Strikes Back, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Crash Team Racing, The Huge Adventure, Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
Worse: Crash Bandicoot: Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, Crash Twinsanity, Crash Nitro Kart, Crash Tag Team Racing, Crash Bash, Crash Boom Bang, Crash of the Titans

3. Pac-Man
Good: Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man Junior, Pac-Man World
Worse: Pac-Man World 2, Pac-Man World 3, Pac N' Roll, Pac-Pix

4. Conker
Good: Conker's Bad Fur Day
Worse: Conker: Live and Reloaded

5. Sonic the Hedgehog
Good: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Rush, Sonic CD
Worse: Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, Sonic Jam, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Secret Rings

6. Donkey Kong
Good: Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Donkey Kong 1994, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Worse: Donkey Kong 3, DK: King of Swing, DK: King of Swing 2, Donkey Konga, Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Konga 3

Spyro the Dragon
Good: Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Spyro: Season of Ice, Spyro: Season of Flame
Worse: Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly, Spyro: A Heroe's Tale, Spyro: A New Beginning

Jak and Daxter
Good: Jak and Daxter
Worse: Jak 2, Jak 3

Well, I started the list off. If there is anyone who wants to contribute to the list, they may do so.

Around the Network

I wouldn't call it dead yet...it's just that alex has brought these games up in like, 5 threads it seems now.  It's almost been discussed to death, but perhaps this a good topic, and the right place to discuss these games.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Jak3 was best of the franchise, your threads really suck.

I think the topic needs some more refinement of franchises... A lot of those games, especially the DK games, are really several separate franchises that happen to have the same main character. I think it can be agreed that the original Pac Man games have little, if anything, to do with the Pac Man World games. I think Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Adventure can be considered two separate franchises. The racing games (Sonic R, Crash Tag Team, etc...) are completely different *genres* from the main franchises...

Final Fantasy.

I might add Megaman too, though Megaman has had its ups and downs.  MM1-3 for the NES were great, 4-6 seemed to be a steady decline, and 7 and 8 were simply awful.  The Megaman X games were quite good, though. 

Around the Network

Banjo Kazooie!!!

Blue3 said:
Jak3 was best of the franchise, your threads really suck.

If you read my post, you would have seen that I based the information off of reviews from multiple websites. Jak 3 got the lowest review out of the three, and I agree too. The second they darkened the franchise, I didn't like the game. I could go on, and on how Jak and Daxter is one-hundred times better than Jak 2, and Jak 3. Okay, maybe not one-hundred times, but better in general.

Yeah, my other threads were of only one franchise each, so I decided to make one more thread, with all of the franchises. Banjo Kazooie never went bad. They just stopped making games for it. That doesn't count. We will only know for sure when Banjo Kazooie 3 comes out. It is going to be one of the first platformers to embrace the Xbox 360. Every single video game has its good points, and bad points. Just because future Crash, Sonic, Jak, et cetera, games were not as good as their previous ones, does not mean that they are bad. They are just not as good. Crash Twinsanity isn't bad. It's just not as good as Crash Bandicoot. Sonic Heroes isn't bad. It's just not as good as Sonic Adventure. Jak 3 (Hint, hint. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink... Blue3) isn't bad. It's just not as good as Jak and Daxter. I guess Mega Man went bad after the PS1 days. The decline of franchises all happened last generation. Spyro, Crash, Sonic, Mega Man, Bust-A-Move, and Pac-Man all got an equal share of spanks. Yeah, it's last generation's fault. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (PS2,GCN,XBOX), Pac-Man World 2 (PS2,GCN,XBOX), Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (PS2,GCN,XBOX), Star Fox Adventures (GCN), Super Bust-A-Move (PS2), Sonic Heroes (PS2,GCN,XBOX), Mega Man (PS2), Jak 2 (PS2), Donkey Konga (GCN), Conker: Live and Reloaded (XBOX). That 10 franchises ruined. And this is no opinion. Look at the reviews. All of these games got reviews of less than 4/5. It means they aren't great. They are just descent. But these franchises deserve more than just descent! They deserve to be kings. Yeah, it's true. PS2, GCN, and XBOX ruined so many franchises. It's not even funny. They are to blame. This generation ruined them even more. Sonic the Hedgehog, Crash of the Titans, DK Bongo Blast... I don't think the other franchises are going to be doing any better either. Oh, Xbox 360 ruined Bomberman. Well, at least those franchises WERE good in the past. Some franchises were never that popular. Blinx, TY the Tasmanian Tiger, Chameleon Twist, Gex... And some franchises had their ups and downs, like Rayman. And other franchises were always good, such as Mario. Well, at least the platforming franchises. In fact, I think Mario might be the only one that was always good. There might be a few other franchises that were always good, but there were only a few of them. Most of the franchises I mentioned are all platform franchises because I play platform games the most. There are other games such as Halo that were always good, and Metroid. Also, Zelda was always good.

Mario. It's unrealistic. A fat man saving a princess THAT many times is bound to have lost SOME weight. SHEESH.

IMO donkey kong didnt go sour. they just stopped making platformer games and instead went in the direction of making jungle beat and any other game using bongos or the new racing game featuring donkey kong characters. all nintendo needs to do is create a good platformer DK game for wii and it will be back. i have faith that nintendo could do it hands down

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary