By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Ps4 shipped vs sold through numbers tracking

soony_xbone_U said:
DonFerrari said:

So you take 3pp because of japanese release (300k consoles) but ignore that it could be even higher to prevent shortages on holidays... seeing the record breaking numbers one seems more probable than the other... PS4 shipping figures is basically tied with Wii, so I don't why suddenly it would drop just to meet your "prediction".

I think 20M is a possibility, not a certainty, but if going by "opinions" that it will barely ship 20M then that would be impossible.

What do u mean by 3pp?
Japan sold through was ~320k fist weekend and about 370k fist weekend + fist week.
The rumored initial shipment was 450k. The fist few weeks were also strong sales with 500k sold through in just 5 weeks. Some more shipped than sold through.
If the console would have launched in November, too we had just ~ 8.4m Ps4 shiped from January to September (It was not due to supply shortage)
In that case alone the 45% quote would be below 6.9m units.

And now i just take away 400k units (what would be just a half December week), because of the stronger than usual sales in September.

I can tell u, why the PS4 will drop below the Wii shipped figures. Wii was a Holiday sales beast. The Ps4 is still a Playsation, not a Wii, that millions of partens bought for theire kids. Just look at sales figures from games like Just Dance, Disney Infintiy or Skylander. Often even the Xb1 sells more than the Ps4 version in the US, while having a lower installbase. Xb360, WiiU and Wii sell way more.

But even if Sony will ship 20.5m im kind of spot on. I doesn' change much.

So PS4 shipped 450k on Japan but you discount 800k because of that and because September were a good month... well you can keep doing your guesswork and not discussing over/undertracked while using "logical prediction'' to make your point fit even if it will fail.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The 13.5 number sold for the first week of Nov is most likely correct. It takes about a month for shipped products to make it from boat to shelf. That shipment has very likely sold in the week it arrived on shelves. What got shipped in the week following likely sold the following week too. We dont know how much they shipped on that shipment though.

When you have such a hot product it is hard to accurately track sales. I think overall VGC has done a good job.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling