By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Designer Explains why the Console Is So Bulky

VanceIX said:
daredevil.shark said:

Proof? Do you have any picture? Please show us.

What, that I have a PS4, or that it required repairing? I can probably provide both. 

Please share. I have seen many fake claims in internet (pre order cancelled, I own certain product etc). So its hard to believe any claim.

Around the Network

VanceIX said:

Yeah, I see that now. I messed up with the calculations.

Still, not sure if adding a power brick to the equation (since it isn't directly part of the console) is fair, but to each their own.

Well the power brink is inside the PS4... if you remove it then it could be smaller... so if you include the power brink inside the Xbone it can be bigger.

It is all assumptions btw and nobody will never know

But the difference in sizes of the consoles is really big.

VanceIX said:
ethomaz said:

VanceIX said:

For one, I really doubt the power brick is 40% as big as the PS4.

Secondly, the power brick is gonna be in the back, not anywhere near the console. Unless you're really nitpicky about the wire space of your entertainment setup, I really doubt a power brick harms any one.

Like I said, as it stands, it's better to be safe than sorry. Cooling problems have developed in tons of consoles, especially last gen. Even the original PS3 (which was universally praised for good cooling space and the internal power supply) had kinda bad failure rates due to cooling problems down the road.

Personally, I've already had a PS4 fail due to overheating, and it was in a well-ventilated area. Don't have a One (yet), so I can't comment on cooling with that, but stuffing all the components in to one package isn't always a great idea. No one will know for another few years down the road, but it may come back to nip Sony in the heels. These are things that even a console manufacturer can't know until the system has been used for a while.

Check your maths.

PS4 needs to be 50% of the Xbone to be half-size... it is really close (61%)... if you add the power brink dimensions then it will be even more close (< 61%).

Xbone is that big.

Still, not sure if adding a power brick to the equation (since it isn't directly part of the console) is fair, but to each their own.

yeah the power brick doesn't really matter, imo since it's going to be hidden somewhere. Point is, original guy was right. It's almost half the size, and has the 'power brick' inside itself, so how can xb1 still be so big for heat regulation purposes?

The comparisons with PS4 size (considering that it has an internal PSU too) really shows that Sony has better hardware engineers, they managed to create a smaller console, with internal PSU, packing more power that is cheaper to manufacture. It really is an onslaught in all aspects.

However, I don't think the X1 size is an issue as people say. It has the size of an old VCR, it isn't that big. Unless your console is bulky as a OG XBox or, well, an Atari 7200, everything is cool.

VanceIX said:

It seems fair. The PS4 could be smaller with an external PSU and the X1 would need to be bigger to have an internal one. And you still need the physical space for the external PSU if you want to use the console, it isn't an option.

Around the Network

Please american just like everything superised.

Cars, Junk Food, DD Plastic Tits instead of natural Cs

daredevil.shark said:
VanceIX said:
daredevil.shark said:

Proof? Do you have any picture? Please show us.

What, that I have a PS4, or that it required repairing? I can probably provide both. 

Please share. I have seen many fake claims in internet (pre order cancelled, I own certain product etc). So its hard to believe any claim.

My (current) PS4. Sony replaced the one that overheated (the fan went overdrive and the system got very hot, and then it just stopped working).

My email that I got from Sony about the repair/replacement. Only proof I have of that, since I didn't take any pics of the old console.

Sorry bout the image quality, need to get a new phone. Also blotted out some personal info, you can do a reverse image search if you want to know if this is an original picture.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

theprof00 said:
VanceIX said:

yeah the power brick doesn't really matter, imo since it's going to be hidden somewhere. Point is, original guy was right. It's almost half the size, and has the 'power brick' inside itself, so how can xb1 still be so big for heat regulation purposes?

Yeah, that he was. My bad for messing up the dimension scale. Microsoft is playing it safe this generation, we will really only know which approach worked better when we look at the failure rate at the end of the gen. I think the extra space will be helpful in regulating heat, but we'll only truly know years in.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I for one like a component to match other components. I am not sure why people want their console to"look cool". It is not a portable device. Most people don't even know that I have a gaming system. When I turn it on, they are surprised it's even there.

Maybe for people needing to impress other people , the look matters. I was kind of hoping the the next version of the PS4 was going to be more square, so it fits in with my components. My brothers PS4 looks odd and out of place in his components stack.

It is near the end of the end....

VanceIX said:

My (current) PS4. Sony replaced the one that overheated (the fan went overdrive and the system got very hot, and then it just stopped working).

My email that I got from Sony about the repair/replacement. Only proof I have of that, since I didn't take any pics of the old console.

Sorry bout the image quality, need to get a new phone. Also blotted out some personal info, you can do a reverse image search if you want to know if this is an original picture.

Ye dekne ke baad mujhe bohut bura laaga. Tumhara bad luck chal rahahe. Dont worry its under warranty.