By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Majora's Mask 3D is doomed to be critically panned...

If we were talking about sonic games, then yes, water is horrible.

Around the Network
Toxy said:
the_dengle said:

It's already hard to tell who's legitimately upset with the IGN review and who's just having some fun with it.

On a serious note I was expecting the game to not get such hot reviews but Aonuma's comments give me hope.

I am not upset, although I do find this complaint to be redundant due to the game being based in the tropics.

That's kind of backwards logic. GameFreak could have set the game wherever they wanted. They chose to design the region with a lot of islands requiring the use of Surf to travel between, and added Dive on top of that making for multiple layers of water travel. They gave one of the villain teams and even the champion a water theme.

The complaint isn't that the variety of Pokemon and scenery is inappropriate for the setting, the complaint is that the setting is monotonous and boring and should have had less water. Maybe the reviewer would have felt differently if she had played Omega Ruby instead.

Unless they change the name from Majora's Mask to Swimming Cap this won't fare well.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Blob said:
I feel like this joke has gone far enough.
Everybody remember back to when platformers had water sections that were tedious? The majority of them were and we treated them as negatives.
It's a legitimate complaint.....

I understand that if a game has cheap difficulty because of its mechanics - would warrant a complaint.

However, this is like you said, a joke. 

It is not offensive, or an attack on someone (be that by a threat or personal), and it is not politically incorrect. So because of this, I do not understand how the joke has gone too far.
It just points out how this complaint is silly, which it certainly is given the terrain in the game. People do not complain about Walking Dead having too many zombie, so why should someone complain about a game based in the tropics for having too much water?

Toxy said:
Blob said:
I feel like this joke has gone far enough.
Everybody remember back to when platformers had water sections that were tedious? The majority of them were and we treated them as negatives.
It's a legitimate complaint.....

I understand that if a game has cheap difficulty because of its mechanics - would warrant a complaint.

It is not offensive, or an attack on someone (be that by a threat or personal), and it is not politically incorrect. So because of this, I do not understand how the joke has gone too far.
It just points out how this complaint is silly, which it certainly is given the terrain in the game. People do not complain about Walking Dead having too many zombie, so why should someone complain about a game based in the tropics for having too much water?

Becuase the water sections made it boring and frustrating. The same way that water sections in old platformers were boring and frustrating.

The walking dead isn't necessarily interesting because of the zombies. If they spent too much time with cameras on what zombies were doing and it was boring then yes you could say the zombies made the show boring.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Toxy said:
the_dengle said:

I am not upset, although I do find this complaint to be redundant due to the game being based in the tropics.

That's kind of backwards logic. GameFreak could have set the game wherever they wanted. They chose to design the region with a lot of islands requiring the use of Surf to travel between, and added Dive on top of that making for multiple layers of water travel. They gave one of the villain teams and even the champion a water theme.

The complaint isn't that the variety of Pokemon and scenery is inappropriate for the setting, the complaint is that the setting is monotonous and boring and should have had less water. Maybe the reviewer would have felt differently if she had played Omega Ruby instead.

Exactly, it was by desing choice that this game was to have a lot of water.
Saying that they achieved said goal is bad, is bizarre.
As you point out with Omega Ruby having a different team based on fire is another good point, as this review weighs in both games with the same score.
So by one having more water and the other having more of a fire theme, by only playing/reviewing one and scoring both games as if they were the same still goes in line with this review being poorly made.

If it was done by an actual IGN journalist the score would have likely differed.
Some people like traversing water, some do not. This seems like a strangely biased review.
I do not rate Drama films because I do not like them. That being said I would not tell others not to watch this category of film, because they may actually like it.

There is a difference by rating something based on the mechanics or plot - and there is a difference with rating something based on your personal opinion and not the actual merit of said content.

It is similar to the 'it was too hard' rate it down mentality. If the game is meant to be hard and the mechanics are not cheap, this is a good thing. If it is hard due to design flaws, well this would be a negative.

That is just my two cents any ways.

Blob said:
Toxy said:
Blob said:

Becuase the water sections made it boring and frustrating. The same way that water sections in old platformers were boring and frustrating.

The walking dead isn't necessarily interesting because of the zombies. If they spent too much time with cameras on what zombies were doing and it was boring then yes you could say the zombies made the show boring.

That is a fair call.

I would sum that up to bad direction, rather than blaming it on the zombies on the other hand ;)

The point I tried to get across was Daryl Dixon killing zombies and people complained that the zombies were back, and there is far too many of them. The writers should introduce different creatures etcetera.

It is a zombie series so you expect to see zombies. 
A game based on a legendary creature able to summon a great flood that lives amongst tropical islands is bound to have *gasp* water.

Toxy said:
Blob said:

That is a fair call.

I would sum that up to bad direction, rather than blaming it on the zombies on the other hand ;)

The point I tried to get across was Daryl Dixon killing zombies and people complained that the zombies were back, and there is far too many of them. The writers should introduce different creatures etcetera.

A game based on a legendary creature able to summon a great flood that lives amongst tropical islands is bound to have *gasp* water.

Well the complaint wasn't that there was too much water. The amount of water wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't frustrating/tedious to deal with. But when you find youself getting annoyed at the tedium of the water and the fact that every battle can be won with an electric pokemon, then I can see why it might become a negative.

Blob said:
Toxy said:

That is a fair call.

Well the complaint wasn't that there was too much water. The amount of water wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't frustrating/tedious to deal with. But when you find youself getting annoyed at the tedium of the water and the fact that every battle can be won with an electric pokemon, then I can see why it might become a negative.

I agree with what you are saying and quiet honestly - I just think this debacle if you will, is a fun thing to poke some fun at.

This will not effect the way myself and other veterans play the game as we will likely use repel and other such items to make this less monotonous. The only thing I really felt tedious with the Pokemon series were the Zubats to be honest. Other than that they are good light hearted fun with a lot of depth.

That is all I want in a Pokemon game.

Toxy said:

I agree with what you are saying and quiet honestly - I just think this debacle if you will, is a fun thing to poke some fun at.

This will not effect the way myself and other veterans play the game as we will likely use repel and other such items to make this less monotonous. The only thing I really felt tedious with the Pokemon series were the Zubats to be honest. Other than that they are good light hearted fun with a lot of depth.

That is all I want in a Pokemon game.

Well the issue is the plenty of people are just pissed that a Nintendo game didnt get amazing scores lol. And it's hard to tell the dfference between people on the internet.

And yeah ive already pre-ordered the game and im going to enjoy it. I have all 700 and whatever pokemon aready so I pretty much play pokemon with repels anyway.