By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Tagged games:

Game_God said:
Talal said:
It's really ironic seeing some people criticize people who dislike cartoony/colorful games then seeing them do the same thing to realistic games calling them grey/brown/boring.

Because there is a violent, stupid & very alive dogma that only "grey/brown/boring" realistic games are valid & "true" valid adult games. Nintendo are for the kiddies right? I play anything from CS, Battlefield, Flight Simulator, rFactor, Soulcalibur, Mariokart, Zelda, King of Fighters, Gran Turismo, Half Life, Tetris, Chrono Trigger & the list goes on, don't bullshit me saying that only graphically realistic games are worth playing & better than those wich aren't!!!

There are multiple angles from wich any subject has to be scrutinized, the only argument that ignorant "hardlycore" gamers bring is " the realistic graphic mature game I defend is better because it has more polycount, shaders etc.  & looks more realistic than A, B or C game".

Trying to  reduce a game to its technical aspects is quite an insult to gamers & people who make games (despite both the said gaming & game-making comunities being plagged with that kind of persons).

I don't believe that at all. I find that view on games very annoying. I enjoy both the colorful games like Super Mario 3d World and Zelda Windwaker and the less colorful more realistic games like Uncharted and Gran Turismo. I think both can be very beautiful.

What I'm trying to say here in this thread is that yes people who dismiss games for not being realistic are very annoying, but the people who dismiss games for being realistic are equally annoying and are hypocrites.

Around the Network

Graphics-wise, MK8 falls way short but its art style makes up for it. Art style is the reason why some old games can still look really good.

Artistically speaking, I find it hard to disagree with this. MK8 really is a beautiful looking game.

I agree, mario kart 8 is probably the prettiest game this year... I also knew this would irritate more than a few people here... oh well. Opinions are just that. Opinions. I've never looked at any game and thought, wow, that's a good looking game, but, it's not TECHNICALLY impressive.... what the hell does that even mean? A game with previous baked lighting, even if if looks better than another game with real time lighting, doesn't look better still, because it's not technically more impressive?! That's so dumb to me, sorry. The final images on the screen are what's important, I don't care about the fancy technical terms behind graphics effects. To say one game isn't better looking because it's not using the latest technically advanced effects, even if it's faking them, is stupid. Fact is, mario kart looks fuckin amazing. Get over it.

celador said:
teigaga said:
celador said:
It is a very nice looking game in motion, but it is not close to being the best console game in terms of graphics this year.

By best do you mean most intensive or advance?

Best to me means how the graphics are utilised, the appearance they create. A game could have 100m polys on screen versus a game with only 100k poly but nicer lighting and pretty particle effects. The latter game in my opinion would have the ''better graphics''

I meant graphical in technical terms.  The style of the graphics are great though like I said, and I would say it is an attractive looking game, just not the best for the year

In order for it to be the "best looking" it means the "graphics" had to the best too.

Around the Network

Hahahahaha eurogamer are killing it!

FATALITY said:
Roma said:
But, but realistic games are always better looking!! I dare you pick a non realistic game as the best looking game?!

that is just one person opinion like you have yours and i have mine.

Just one guy at Eurogamer and we get his opinion and state is fact and have a bunch of people using it as validation for their own world view. But whatever.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Scoobes said:
Artistically speaking, I find it hard to disagree with this. MK8 really is a beautiful looking game.

And that is why IGN had the sense to have two Best Graphics Award. One for Art and one for Technology because some people simply arent smart enough to tell the difference and others just want to see the world burn.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Talal said:
Game_God said:
Talal said:
It's really ironic seeing some people criticize people who dislike cartoony/colorful games then seeing them do the same thing to realistic games calling them grey/brown/boring.

Because there is a violent, stupid & very alive dogma that only "grey/brown/boring" realistic games are valid & "true" valid adult games. Nintendo are for the kiddies right? I play anything from CS, Battlefield, Flight Simulator, rFactor, Soulcalibur, Mariokart, Zelda, King of Fighters, Gran Turismo, Half Life, Tetris, Chrono Trigger & the list goes on, don't bullshit me saying that only graphically realistic games are worth playing & better than those wich aren't!!!

There are multiple angles from wich any subject has to be scrutinized, the only argument that ignorant "hardlycore" gamers bring is " the realistic graphic mature game I defend is better because it has more polycount, shaders etc.  & looks more realistic than A, B or C game".

Trying to  reduce a game to its technical aspects is quite an insult to gamers & people who make games (despite both the said gaming & game-making comunities being plagged with that kind of persons).

I don't believe that at all. I find that view on games very annoying. I enjoy both the colorful games like Super Mario 3d World and Zelda Windwaker and the less colorful more realistic games like Uncharted and Gran Turismo. I think both can be very beautiful.

What I'm trying to say here in this thread is that yes people who dismiss games for not being realistic are very annoying, but the people who dismiss games for being realistic are equally annoying and are hypocrites.

And I agree with you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

It amazes me how people think that just because a game has cartoony looks means it has an amazing art style. How to train your dragon has a fantastic art stylr. Mk8 does not.

Anybody who can claim mk8 is better looking then driveclub or fh2 is either bias, or on crack.DA2 has a great art style, farcry 4 has a great art style, dont starve has a great art style.