By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 8th of November 2014

iTechHeads said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Huge week in the US for XBO. It's a bit surprising that the PS4 still got top spot WW and everything else did decent to garbage.

I wonder when adjustments will kick in though.

New bundles and price cut will do that. Holiday deals should keep give it healthy sales. What I'm worried about is the drop off after the holidays when they bring the price back up.

Youre looking at the intent wrongly, theyre not playing for sales exclusively, theyre playing to win back mindshare, thats more important for the long term.

Around the Network
JustBeingReal said:

PS4 should have been further ahead IMO, considering it's been the preferred platform for COD this generation, the install base for that game is bigger on Playstation this generation than XB1.
I wouldn't be shocked if PS4 is under-tracked by almost 200k for the week of the 8th of November.
Assuming VG doesn't make any adjustments this puts PS4 at 13M total, when it should probably be over 14M, I think PS4 is easily under-tracked by more than a million on here.

Considering how COD was heavily associated with XBox last-gen, I'd say sales being near parity on launch week with XBO price cut and bundle is very good news for Sony. The system is selling itself by word of mouth. When Sony does decide to cut the price it will have a huge impact if paired with the right AAA game.

Tachikoma said:
iTechHeads said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Huge week in the US for XBO. It's a bit surprising that the PS4 still got top spot WW and everything else did decent to garbage.

New bundles and price cut will do that. Holiday deals should keep give it healthy sales. What I'm worried about is the drop off after the holidays when they bring the price back up.

Youre looking at the intent wrongly, theyre not playing for sales exclusively, theyre playing to win back mindshare, thats more important for the long term.

Sales = Mindshare

That's why PS4 is the lead platform right now. The platform with the most mindshare the console with the most sales. This week it was XBox One which makes sense due to the marketing blitz and price cut + COD week. It will be interesting how long XBO will keep this up though. I say its unlikely this will be the turning point for them, Sony hasn't even had time to react yet.

iTechHeads said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

I'd be shocked if after the holidays they decide to bring the price up back again. I think it always their plan to do a price cut but by saying they're doing it for the holiday puts more emphasis on consumers to buy now rather than later.

iTechHeads said:

Sales = Mindshare

That's why PS4 is the lead platform right now. The platform with the most mindshare the console with the most sales. This week it was XBox One which makes sense due to the marketing blitz and price cut + COD week. It will be interesting how long XBO will keep this up though. I say its unlikely this will be the turning point for them, Sony hasn't even had time to react yet.

Sales is a contributing factor, but not the be all and end all.

Around the Network

Assuming numbers are right, that seems a lot closer for Xbone than I saw anyone predicting (aside from those predicting it would be #1 WW.

Goatseye said:
binary solo said:
MoHasanie said:
Wow, X1 was so close. I'm more impressed with PS4's numbers though. Every week it gets bigger.

Why would a 66% bump (61% in USA) with CoD selling almost as much in USA on PS4 as Xb one, and expected seasonal weekly lift be impressive? I think that's a typical or maybe slightly small bump for PS4 considering those 2 factors.

If anything I think the US number for PS4 is low by 30K or so.

I see MS has said more than tripled so Xb one number, relative to VGC's previous week looks to be right.

BUT!!! I just noticed in Mehdi's PR anouncement he's claiming Xb one has been the lead console in the USA for 2 weeks running. Given this week isn't over yet does that mean week ending 1 Nov? Personally I don't know how he has the data to support the claim relating to 1 Nov week. Seems like he might have been counting the AC and CoD skus on sites like Amazon, which record as sales for the week but didn't actually ship to consumers until the 8 Nov week. I think I'll believe what Amazon's actual available skus (shows PS4 on top) and VGC tell us for 1 Nov week. Unless he means this week so far, which I agree, Xb one will probably be top console this week in the USA.

The sales surge after price cut announcement started late October. The day MS announced the price cuts Amazon and BestBuy applied them; way before November 2.

SO bundle sold out everywhere before the official price cut date if I remember correctly. But it was being sold at $349.

Amazon only applied the price cut to SO and AC U bundle. Vanilla Xb one was still $399 until 2 Nov. AC U sales pre-2 Nov can't be counted as actual consoles in consumers' hands (i.e. for VGC counting purposes) until 2 Nov and after. Hence week ending 1 Nov only got a small bump from SO white bundle, which sold out damned fast, which means it was very limited in number. All the AC and CoD sales on Amazon recorded in the final week of Oct are all counted for VGC in the 8 Nov chart. So if Yusuf is talking 1 Nov week then he's counting pre-orders, which means he's both right and wrong depending on perspective. But then those pre-orders contributed to the more than tripling result for 8 Nov week, so that's kind of double dipping if so.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Xb one also adjusted up for 1 Nov week. It was 148K now it's 169K. Much bigger SO white boost and I now see VGC has Xb one winning the USA for that week. So it is 2 weeks running, and it will be 3 weeks come the end of this week.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

iTechHeads said:
JustBeingReal said:

PS4 should have been further ahead IMO, considering it's been the preferred platform for COD this generation, the install base for that game is bigger on Playstation this generation than XB1.
I wouldn't be shocked if PS4 is under-tracked by almost 200k for the week of the 8th of November.
Assuming VG doesn't make any adjustments this puts PS4 at 13M total, when it should probably be over 14M, I think PS4 is easily under-tracked by more than a million on here.

Considering how COD was heavily associated with XBox last-gen, I'd say sales being near parity on launch week with XBO price cut and bundle is very good news for Sony. The system is selling itself by word of mouth. When Sony does decide to cut the price it will have a huge impact if paired with the right AAA game.

But we're not talking about last gen, we're talking about this generation, where COD has been favored on PS4, as has pretty every other 3rd party release. It's logical to think that PS4 was under tracked again, especially when VG makes more guesses in the unknown numbered regions of sale, outside of Europe, US and Japan. Under Tracking seems to have been common practice weekly because VG Chartz doesn't know where the extra PS4 sales are coming from and exclusive releases or major 3rd party titles don't just drop off a few weeks after release, which we've had a few of lately. PS4 isn't just selling itself by word of mouth, it's got more games, more true exclusives that aren't on it's predecessor or Vita and it has more exclusives lined up for next year, so anyone wondering whether there will be anything new to play outside of multiplats doesn't have to wonder.

Sony are also doing heavy marketing, major improvements to the firmware, big additions like Share Play, it's all being focused on by Sony's marketing team.

As I said 3rd party seems to sell substantially better on PS4 than Xbox One, seems odd that would change just because of this one new COD release, especially when Ghosts had XB marketing too in a similar way, yet it still sold better on PS4. Retailers pushed the price cut early as far as I'm aware, so I don't think that will have closed that kind of gap.

No doubt PS4's sales will massively jump, it won't even matter if it happens alongside some major release or not, because if it happens at some point after The Order or Bloodborne there will be a substantial line-up of exclusives to support it.

To be fair I think the Xbox One's sales could be about right, I just think PS4's should be higher, especially given it's numbers of COD are pretty comparable.

Yea, I don't see the Xbone sales getting that big. Even if it did very, very well in NA, WW would still put it behind by a good amount.

I wonder by how much VGC will be off come official figures. My guess is well under a million for PS4.