By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - DF: What works - and what doesn't - in Halo: The Master Chief Collection

they're talking about splitscreen In the campaign. In multiplayer it seemed great to me.

Around the Network
Wright said:
walsufnir said:
Wright said:

360 is retrocompatible with Halo 2.

So via emulator.

Oh, retrocompatibility uses emulation? xD

On 360 this is true, yes.

walsufnir said:
Wright said:

So that explains why not all OG Xbox games can be played on 360?

Wright said:
walsufnir said:
Wright said:

So that explains why not all OG Xbox games can be played on 360?

Exactly. It uses an emulator which is coded for games specifically.

walsufnir said:

Interesting! Well, in any case, you were right, it was emulation on the 360.

Do the issues are solved in MCC if both players play splitscreen using old-school visuals?

Around the Network
Wright said:
walsufnir said:

Interesting! Well, in any case, you were right, it was emulation on the 360.

Do the issues are solved in MCC if both players play splitscreen using old-school visuals?

Probably not, as the new visuals are still there, you just cant see them.

CE Frame-rate dips below 30fps occur regularly with torn frames appearing primarily along the top half of the screen (sorry, player one). It feels jittery and difficult to enjoy when using this mode and we'd have to recommend sticking to classic visuals if that's how you want to play.

2 As with Halo CE, the split-screen frame-rate in Halo 2 is rather poor. In Anniversary mode we found performance improved on average compared to Halo CE but it never really feels particularly smooth. Unfortunately, the classic mode also suffers from performance issues this time meaning that there's no way to enjoy a full 60fps split-screen mode with Halo 2. It should also be noted that, while the field of view is wider than the original Xbox game, it still feels somewhat narrow compared to Halo CE Anniversary.

3 Yup, it's an issue here as well. Fortunately, Halo 3 runs better than any of the other games in split-screen mode, providing a fairly solid 60fps experience. There are definitely dips, especially in The Covenant mission, but it's very playable. The game uses the same settings as the original 360 version in this mode, however, with black bars filling the left and right of the image, creating smaller playable windows for each player. Furthermore, the level of detail is pared back, resulting in grass and objects that pop-in around the players' feet during gameplay.

4 We're saving the worst for last here. The frame-rate in Halo 4 split-screen is bad to the point that we'd argue that it's not really playable. Moments where dips occurred in single-player are much worse here, but even those sections that were reasonably smooth fail to come close to reaching a solid 60fps. The most jarring issue here, however, is the insanely aggressive LOD system. Assets are drawn in as the player moves through the world but sometimes that leaves huge sections of the map without any texture detail at all - remarkably, there are times where you'll wind up fighting the Covenant against a backdrop of flat-shaded polygons.

Seems splitscreen was an after thought or it needed a lot more time for polish.
I played Halo 2 in splitscreen, never finished it though. Still see no reason to go back to it nor replay the rest in splitscreen.

No RRoD support for Halo 3? I want the full Halo experience!

Just kidding. No amount of frame rate issues, minor or great, could keep me from buying this set. It looks great.

d21lewis said:
No RRoD support for Halo 3? I want the full Halo experience!

Just kidding. No amount of frame rate issues, minor or great, could keep me from buying this set. It looks great.

I know right, My 360 RRod 3 days before Halo 3.

OT: More positives than negatives. Will be picking up a Xbone in the next few weeks with MCC

Reddit is overflowing with people having trouble across all 4 games in singleplayer and multiplayer, piles of glitches oversights and bad, or lack of, testing.