By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The ONE's Price Drop Failed. What Else Can MS Do?

arachnid15 said:
ethomaz said:
Xbone is dropping fast...

PS4 is upping again...

After the end of week PS4 will be ahead again like it is the norm.

Hello ethomaz. I do not really follow the Amazon charts as closly as I know you do. So you are saying that these really impressive Xbox One bundles have a short shelf life in terms of staying on top? I am not an Xbox guy, although I did have a 360 along with my PS3, but they really do seem like outstanding deals and I guess I am just a little surprised to hear the sales effect would be so short. Interesting.  

Well the point is we honestly have no idea.

Did this simply move X1 sales up (and satisfy people who had been waiting for the big holiday special instead of paying $399 for a bare X1?) I know I warned someone VERY recently that had bought an X1 bare @ $399 that better deals were surely coming. Now you can get one for $50 less WITH GAMES.

Anyway, I bet the demand stays higher than previously (holidays + rush of new games + cheaper price), but we don't know how limited these things are either. They could run maybe 100k of each bundle and that really wouldn't affect the overall numbers very much in the end. If they are more widespread, or start a new campaign where they combo in a game or two with the normally bare $349 SKU, then that could help them a lot.

The way I see it the X1's biggest problem is all the vanilla SKUs out there, which are now incredibly unattractive when compared to these.

Around the Network

Holy crap.

THERE IS A NEW TERMINATOR?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Arkaign said:
arachnid15 said:
ethomaz said:

PS4 is upping again...

Hello ethomaz. I do not really follow the Amazon charts as closly as I know you do. So you are saying that these really impressive Xbox One bundles have a short shelf life in terms of staying on top? I am not an Xbox guy, although I did have a 360 along with my PS3, but they really do seem like outstanding deals and I guess I am just a little surprised to hear the sales effect would be so short. Interesting.  

Did this simply move X1 sales up (and satisfy people who had been waiting for the big holiday special instead of paying $399 for a bare X1?) I know I warned someone VERY recently that had bought an X1 bare @ $399 that better deals were surely coming. Now you can get one for $50 less WITH GAMES.

Anyway, I bet the demand stays higher than previously (holidays + rush of new games + cheaper price), but we don't know how limited these things are either. They could run maybe 100k of each bundle and that really wouldn't affect the overall numbers very much in the end. If they are more widespread, or start a new campaign where they combo in a game or two with the normally bare $349 SKU, then that could help them a lot.

The way I see it the X1's biggest problem is all the vanilla SKUs out there, which are now incredibly unattractive when compared to these.

I appreciate the explanation. You make an excellent point, too, about there being a ton of undesireable Xbox One's floating around that nobody is going to want, at least for now, given the attractive deals out there. Going to be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks for sure.   

Arkaign said:
arachnid15 said:
ethomaz said:

PS4 is upping again...

I agree, PS4 selling without bundle great but Xbox one needs bundles and prices to become competitive. So this proves that people are not interested in Xbox one unless it comes very cheap, but for PS4 they can afford it without bundles and high price also because they want one that's we see PS4 standalone still doing great in amazon charts close to these Xbox one bundles.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Qwark said:
Microsofts biggest fault is giving up Europe and especially the UK already which did not recieve the pricedrop and so the PS4 will beast further in Europe and win the holiday worldwide.

Not globally in the US, whatever that means is still a clue to me, but fair enough that one is for the xbox one.

Microsoft's biggest fault is basically how they've handled the xbox brand for the last 5-6 years. No trolling.

They took a massive advantage and drove it into the ground.

Basically the same as what Sony did going into the ps3 generation, and Vita as well.

Around the Network

Seriously. Was this thread really necessary?

Your console of choice still has a commanding lead. Why you would want one console to dominate another is beyond me, given how counterproductive that is for innovation on all consoles, including yours.

But nonetheless, your console is on top of sales.

So why on earth does it get to you so severely when another console receives a small sales bump, the complete magnitude of which will certainly be temporary? How is it that you allow that to chip away at you to such a degree that a thread like this is necessary?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

You can't conclude anything by just using amazon charts.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Yes, well this is marketing, people who may have been on the fence about these consoles all got their XB1.

MS advertising this as a "temporary" price drop probably pushed more than a few over the edge.

Now I don't know how the 3:1 or 1:1 ratio was deduced from these charts, we don't know how many units you need to see to be on number 5 or on number 10.. about the only thing we know is that there was a sales bump for the XB1, it may have out sold the PS4 in many areas around the USA... for a couple of days.

I wonder what the sales number will be like for November? or even that whole week when it comes up!

Parity at best for the XB1.... but what did it cost MS?

Mind you, the internet lunacy that the PS4 is "lacking games", especially the focus on two XB esclusives (Sunset OD and Halo MCC) against the main PS4 one this holiday season (LBP3) as if they were the only games and the smaller titles did not count at all... does not seem to be taking on too much traction in the real world, as people I know seems to think there is "too many games coming out for the PS4 in November"...

and we cannot talk library without looking into the near, medium therm releases.. and well, with Bloodborne and The Order coming out early in the year + Rime and Uncharted later, add Tomorrow Children somewhere in there (and many others I will not care to list) the PS4 is stacked with potentially amazing games in 2015... for the XB1 we only have Phil saying there are too many games coming out next holiday, I wonder how he would manage the PS4's library?

starcraft said:

Your console of choice still has a commanding lead. Why you would want one console to dominate another is beyond me, given how counterproductive that is for innovation on all consoles, including yours.

So why on earth does it get to you so severely when another console receives a small sales bump, the complete magnitude of which will certainly be temporary? How is it that you allow that to chip away at you to such a degree that a thread like this is necessary?

I actually think a fair amount of domination by one side helps gamers.

If X1 and PS4 were roughly equal with stable sales, would Microsoft think it necessary to drop to $349 with games in one year? Discounting Kinect as most people have, the price of getting an X1 with a game has gone from $560+tax to $350+tax, or over $200.

If X1 loses the holidays, and drops like a stone in 2015 once more, then we can look forward to maybe a $199 X1 by holiday 2015, which is awesome for gamers. And Sony will have to respond of course, they can't sit at $399 forever, the more pressure they put on pricing means Sony has to do something to keep going decently as a leader.

Arkaign said:
starcraft said:

I actually think a fair amount of domination by one side helps gamers.

If X1 and PS4 were roughly equal with stable sales, would Microsoft think it necessary to drop to $349 with games in one year? Discounting Kinect as most people have, the price of getting an X1 with a game has gone from $560+tax to $350+tax, or over $200.

If X1 loses the holidays, and drops like a stone in 2015 once more, then we can look forward to maybe a $199 X1 by holiday 2015, which is awesome for gamers. And Sony will have to respond of course, they can't sit at $399 forever, the more pressure they put on pricing means Sony has to do something to keep going decently as a leader.

Exactly, and wait for NPD numbers before rushing to judgement. If it loses it loses if it wins it wins!