By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whoa!! Kojima: "Blu-ray Disc Not Big Enough for MGS4″

You guys can try to guess everything you want,but unless we can actually play the game and review it's lenght,you can only say assumptions.

Around the Network

I'll listen to anyone on this forum regarding this IF they can prove they are in a genuine position to offer a better perspective on this than the developers - i.e. they have created and released games that have sold better and are technically proficient to the MGS series to date.

I'm not a MSG fanboy, as I've never played one, but this thread is getting ridiculous. Obviously everyone is an armchair critic (myself included) but seriously, the more recent posts are junk hardly worth reading - as in why would I take your view over that of a very successful developer?

One final part of rant - never sound like you're saying 'all games' should be like this: that's an immediate fail IMHO. There are lots of different games and thats a good thing, there are no hard and fast rules (you must compress, you must not, the game must fit one disk, it must not, it must be a fun platformer, it must be a deadly serious hardcore FPS, etc) and there never should be.

If the developers really need the space (whether because they want to leave things uncompressed or not) then they do - that's their choice. You chose whether to buy or not.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:

One final part of rant - never sound like you're saying 'all games' should be like this: that's an immediate fail IMHO.

All games should be fun.  All games should be entertaining.

Do those fail too?

Faxanadu said:
ion-storm said:

You do realise this article about Sony forcing kojima to do 1080p links back to this forum post http://www.wii60.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3028 and the guy who posted it is banned? Perhaps not the most reliable source...

Why do people keep saying oh just compress it lol then it can fit on a floppy disc. Why do people want less quality!!!! I just can't understand it. Some people fail at life.

Also... Kojima knows more about making a game than you. Live with it. Then go kill yourself.

so because someone is thinking they might compress a bit of data he fails at life?

and then you advise these people to committ suicide because some guy knows more about game development than they do? Why may I ask?

or do you usually surf around the internet to lave half assed comments telling people that they should commit suicide? Quite pathetic.

It's a good thing you caught on to the entirely serious nature of my post.

Yes

This thread has lost its focus. Its pure TROLLING now.

Around the Network

Just wanted to add this to the discussion. Bluray at 2x speed isn't going to be that much slower than a DVD at 12x speeds. The reason is that the Bluray drive is a CLV (constant linear velocity) drive meaning that it reads at a constant 9 MB/s. The drive in the XBox360 is a CAV (constant angular velocity) drive meaning that it's PEAK read speed is 16 MB/s. In addition, read speed for DVD9 discs (dual layer) are slower than that for DVD5 (single layer). And I believe that most XBox360 games are on DVD9. All in all, overall read speeds are not going to be too different. I think the bigger factor is that DVD has a shorter seek time. This means that getting data from various parts of the disc is not that big a deal. On a Bluray it would be, and that's why so many developers are repeating data. It would just add to the load time if you had to look for texture data from level 1 that you need for level 5. Instead, just repeat the textures that you need to keep it together with the other data for level 5. I mean, it's not like Bluray is hurting for disc space for the majority of games coming out.

As for MGS4 taking up a whole 50 GB, I'm not sure what to think. I can't really think of any reason why they would NEED 50 GB outside of prerendered videos. Everything else can be compressed, and I highly doubt the game is going to be so long that the 50 GB was required, even with compression and ingame cutscenes.

I haven't bothered to sift through the three pages of comments, however I am going to go ahead and say this:

This is total bullshit.

Once again for those that didn't quite catch that:

This is a load of gobshite.

There's 1 of 2 explanations for this.

1. Kojima is straight up lying through his teeth, probably for a few quid in the pocket from Sony for nice marketing.

2. This game is just that badly and lazily developed, with everything being uncompressed needlessly just so that Kojima can say so.

Either way, it's not a good thing in any circumstance if this game really is taking up 50GB's of space. Most PC games now are really only just beginning to use the extra layer on DVD's to install anywhere between 7-12GB's worth of data. This is totally impractical / unrealistic / pure stupidity. In the end I absolutely guarantee you that MGS4 will not be the most epic game ever in terms of length, it'll still be a ludicriously short game or just average in terms of hours played.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Auron said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tons of Cutscenes and movies, MGS4: you don't play the game, you watch it

Do you wake up in the morning and think to yourself "What dumbass comment(s) can i make on VGchartz today"? Or are you just naturally like this without even trying?

Sorry but if you do not realize that MGS4 is going to stuffed full of pointless cutscenes and movies then you are deluded

I agree but your comment was stupid and reeked of being a troll, there will be lots of scenes to watch but MGS is also a great series with great gameplay and you stated that you won't play but rather watch.   Nothing but your typical trolling. Damn you and GGE give nintendo fans a bad name.

Faxanadu said:

you guys are too funny. getting it off cause some developer is too lazy to efficiently program a game?

Holy lord.

and for the record: i dont care about the size or if it is compressed or not. this has nothing, but absolutely nothing to do with whether a game is fun.

also @guy who is like: oh noes, disk 94 is scratched!!! so what happens if bluray disk 1 is broke? very clever indeed.

Because you obviously know more about all this than Kojima and his team of developers who have been working on this game for over 2 years.  I am sure Kojima's previous games are prime examples of "laziness".

Blu-Rays are heavily scratch resistant as well.  They are significantly more durable than conventional DVD's.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Auron said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tons of Cutscenes and movies, MGS4: you don't play the game, you watch it

Do you wake up in the morning and think to yourself "What dumbass comment(s) can i make on VGchartz today"? Or are you just naturally like this without even trying?

Sorry but if you do not realize that MGS4 is going to stuffed full of pointless cutscenes and movies then you are deluded

Trolling is fun!!!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson