By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii 2/HD Speculation Thread

Honestly, I don't really notice the graphical issues much (Mario Galaxy is still a beautiful game in 480p), but I do wish Nintendo had at least included digital TOSLINK support - seeing as the PS2 had it built-in back in 2000. Since getting a Dolby Digital-capable sound system, I've taken to really realizing the difference between analog and digital audio.

So, honestly, all I'd like to see on the Wii 2 is a modest graphical upgrade, 720p, and Dolby Digital via TOSLINK/HDMI. They can keep everything else the same as far as I'm concerned, and I'll be happy as a clam.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
^^ graphical power might not be the MAIN reason why N64 and GC failed, but the fact is, they failed. and Wii won, big time.

I see Nintendo focusing on what is working and change almost nothing.

Higher graphical power will force Nintendo to increase WII2's price and I just don't see that happening at all.

I see Nintendo making a barely HD console next time, probably 720P and close to 360's graphical power.

N64 failed because of cartridges, GC because PS2 came, saw and won.

What's working for Nintendo is the motion sensing, what's not working is the lack of GTA, CoD4, DMC etc. The big multiplat games. Nintendo knows that if they can keep the current wii audience but get the same quality multiplats there won't be a console war next time.

Don't forget that Sony and Microsoft won't make their next consoles very expensive, they saw it didn't work. Next year the PS3 technology is very cheap, so in 4 years it's very doable to make a console that's way beyond PS360 for a launchprice of 250.

Plus, being marketleader this gen has the benefit that all devs will want to produce for Wii-HD, so many 3rd party efforts will accompany the launch. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=18677
Like fazz said ^

I think people need to consider why Nintendo made the Wii the way they did in order to understand how they will produce their follow up system.

In my opinion, the Wii was chosen to be a low powered system because development costs were rising at a rate that was much faster than the growth of software sales. To deal with this problem Nintendo decided to focus on improving game play rather than improve graphics; Nintendo was uncertain as to whether people would accept this new direction and wanted to keep their risk minimized so they updated existing hardware (at a minimal R&D cost).

In 5 years time the industry will have grown quite dramatically from Nintendo’s efforts with the Nintendo DS and Wii, development costs will have peaked at a level only slightly higher than current PS3 and Xbox 360 development costs, and the hardware necessary to produce graphics that are noticeable improvements over the Xbox 360 and PS3 will be inexpensive and readily available.

With the combination of all of these factors I don’t see why Nintendo would continue with being as (comparatively) low performance in the next generation. Certainly, they may not be looking to push the envelope but they won’t be looking at as low of a performance system.

HappySquirriel,

Thanks, I've tried to say the same, but you did it a lot better. I agree 100% and think Nintendo will definitely release a strong console.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
^^ graphical power might not be the MAIN reason why N64 and GC failed, but the fact is, they failed. and Wii won, big time.

Higher graphical power will force Nintendo to increase WII2's price and I just don't see that happening at all.

I see Nintendo making a barely HD console next time, probably 720P and close to 360's graphical power.

how do you know it wasnt the wii controls that people liked?

and ive seen your post before and your very anti-wii

sc94597 said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=18677
Like fazz said ^

Ah, my bad lol I usually look at threads when they are 'popular' on the main site's page.

Well the N64 was black, and the GC was purple, but the wii is kind of white and grey and that seems to be working, so the next one will definately be white and/or grey.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

My prediction (I won't bet money though) is that the next Nintendo system will be closer in power to the other systems mainly due to Sony and/or Microsoft realizing a powerhouse system is not the best business model, and focus on what makes their system unique rather than suped-up.

So I predict the next Xbox and Playstation will be more powerful, but possibly no more than would cost $300-$400 to make, if even that much.

Again, I'm not betting money on this.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

11ht11 said:
kingofwale said:

how do you know it wasnt the wii controls that people liked?

and ive seen your post before and your very anti-wii

Apparently that was just trolling. In this case king's apparently being a realist.

If the next system can be more powerful than the PS3 and 360, but cost less than $200 to make, Nintendo would make it that powerful, but no more. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs