By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 64 vs Nintendo GameCube

Nintendo 64 or GameCube which is your fav?

GameCube 81 43.32%

N64 93 49.73%

I didn't own either and am dead inside. 13 6.95%

Total:187

N64, I would pick Kirby over Metroid any day

Mario 64 vs Mario Sunshine

Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask vs Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

Kirby 64 vs Kirby Air Ride

Star Fox 64 vs Star Fox Adventures

Super Smash Bros vs Smash Bros Melee

Mario Kart 64 vs Double Dash

Both had their fair share of great new ip's, but I perfer N64's

N64

Banjo-Kazooie

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Perfect Dark

Animal Crossing (jp only, later ported to gamecube)

Smash Bros

GC

Pikmin

Viewtiful Joe

All I can think of :/

Around the Network

N64 for the first console I bought myself with summer job $$$$. It wasn't amazing, though it was great for the time. I still, and always have preferred 2D sprite-based gaming. But N64 had some really great games. Gamecube was another matter for me. I never bought one myself. I was going to, late in it's life, for Twilight Princess, because the GC version of TP is the version I had been waiting years to play. But then when I realized Wii was going to be 100% backwards compatible, I said "fuck it" and just got a Wii (months later, when it was finally available), and got whatever GC games I liked or wanted for Wii instead.

GC had some great games that I still love to this day, like Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkeness, Chibi Robo, Waverace: Blue Storm, the RE1 remake, etc., but it also had several entries in my fav. franchises that I either just didn't care about, or outright hated, such as Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and Star Fox: Assault.

N64, on the other hand, had Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Turok 2, the best port of NBA Hangtime, Duke Nukem 64, Doom 64, Mario Kart 64, a good port of MK Trilogy (except for the unacceptably bad music), Wave Race (which was mind blowing for it's time), Beetle Adventure Racing, KI Gold, Blast Corp, Body Harvest, Mischief Makers, Tetrisphere...............I mean it had some really great games, even though it had it's issues as well. I would say, overall, the the N64, while the GRAPHICS certainly haven't aged well, had the larger volume of far greater games. Hell, just for Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye alone, the fact that some friends and I still tend to pick these games up once or twice a year and play them together, that says something. It was great system for multiplayer (obviously), and it had some genuinely good games.

NES is my fav. system of all time, and SNES is a close second, but N64 deserves a lot more respect than some people tend to give it.

S.Peelman said:

Nintendo basically ruined almost every big franchise when compared to it's N64 predecessor with each GameCube entry

My personal interest in Nintendo was fading during that generation, and I became primarily a PC gamer. Until Nintendo brought me back with Twilight Princess and the Wii's classics.

Thank you!

I was the same, the 6th gen was so tepid is almost made me quit gaming, until the Wii won be back over in a big way.

I think both are overrated by people wearing their chosen set of nostalgia goggles, but for me the N64 wins this pretty easily. There are two key reasons.

1. It was a genuine massive step forward for Nintendo, bringing their IPs into the world of 3D.
2. Ocarina of Time, whose importance and excellence can not be overstated.

I like the Gamecube, but I'd have to call it the weakest Nintendo home console. There just are less games that I love on that console than on any other Nintendo console.

Soundwave said:

N64 had the better Nintendo games. It just felt like every N64 effort they were going all out, whereas with the GameCube games it felt like to me like they were sick of working on Mario/Zelda/etc.

Plus GoldenEye and all the Rare stuff.

The only GCN game from Nintendo that IMO elevated itself to "god tier" like Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, and GoldenEye was Metroid Prime. Everything else was a clear notch below this top tier level. 

I think a lot of GameCube games were dissapointingly rushed to market too -- Mario Sunshine was a buggy mess with camera issues and problems with its later levels, Wind Waker they admit they have to cut out dungeons to make its release date, Double Dash had the fewest Mario Kart tracks to race on, etc. 

Agreed and everyone who votes for the GameCube is wrong.

Ocarina of Time is so good and epic, that WW and TP looks like poor attempts to reach the gloriousness of this game.

Super Mario 64 is an instant classic. Both Banjo games. Diddy Kong Racing. Smash and Mario Kart 64. Classiscs.

GameCube has both Prime and Paper Mario, that's only two god games.

PS: Crystal Chronicles is soooo good.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I'll give my 2 cents now. I choose the gamecube over the 64, the Cube honestly felt like a improvement in every concivable way. The game counterparts for the Cube felt like a uprgaded version of the N64. It also brought more to the table, Luigi mansion, chibi robo, Animal crossing, Mario Tennis, Resident evil, Viewtiful Joe, WWE Judgement Day. I own both consoles, and honestly i like the 64 but the cube is better overall.

Rare on N64 >>> Gamecubes entire discography lol

Honestly though Gamecube overall was far more consistent and thus a better console but N64 had Quality of quantity.

Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:

N64 had the better Nintendo games. It just felt like every N64 effort they were going all out, whereas with the GameCube games it felt like to me like they were sick of working on Mario/Zelda/etc.

Plus GoldenEye and all the Rare stuff.

The only GCN game from Nintendo that IMO elevated itself to "god tier" like Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, and GoldenEye was Metroid Prime. Everything else was a clear notch below this top tier level. 

I think a lot of GameCube games were dissapointingly rushed to market too -- Mario Sunshine was a buggy mess with camera issues and problems with its later levels, Wind Waker they admit they have to cut out dungeons to make its release date, Double Dash had the fewest Mario Kart tracks to race on, etc. 

Agreed and everyone who votes for the GameCube is wrong.

Ocarina of Time is so good and epic, that WW and TP looks like poor attempts to reach the gloriousness of this game.

Super Mario 64 is an instant classic. Both Banjo games. Diddy Kong Racing. Smash and Mario Kart 64. Classiscs.

GameCube has both Prime and Paper Mario, that's only two god games.

PS: Crystal Chronicles is soooo good.

Honestly I think it was the other way around as someone who started on the Gamecube I honestly feel it's games were all a step forward from the Nintendo 64 counterparts, I went and played the Nintendo 64 and was kinda disappointed the only games really giving me a blast being Paper Mario, Mario 64 and Star Fox. Not mentioning how disappointed i was by kirby 64.