By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony cutting Smartphone target again? already? Loeb sells all Sony stock.

Soundwave said:

I've said it before but really a Sony-Nintendo alliance would be highly beneficial to both companies, especially if Sony could convince Nintendo to work together on game-centric phone/tablet devices. A Sony-Nintendo line of "gamer phone/tablets" IMO would be reasonably successful.

But aside from that, why buy a Sony phone over an Apple or Samsung or LG or Motorola or Nokia/Windows? There's just too many companies making basically the same product.

And why not buy it? If you're after Android flagship phone, and it seems there are a lot of people out there that want Android, Xperia Z3 (either big one or Compact) is really great phone with exceptional battery life and build quality - IMO, that alone is enough to swing more than few customers, specially one's dissatisfied with Galaxy phones.

Around the Network
prinz_valium said:
so only cameras and consoles are doing well, if we talk about sony electronics

insurance is what keeps sonly alive.
hard times for sony.

1 week and we know the truth

These hard times are gonna continue for probably another year or so at least.  There is so much fat they have to cut off of the company.  I mean why do they have dozens of cheap Smartphone models?  FOCUS ON WHAT YOU DO WELL.   Nobody bought the iPhone  5C because nobody buys an iPhone to save money!

Once the Fat is gone though I expect some decent profits.

Ok so Sony announced they were going to sell x amount of phones. Then they say we arnt going to hit that mark so we are going to reduce it. Then they say we need to reduce the number of different phones we make so they reduce the number again and this comes as a shock to everyone? Fact is if you reduce the number of different types of things you make odds are your going to have less sales. But the key is (hopefully) you become more profitable. Which is what sony needs to focus on. Synergize the company. Reduce the number of unnessisary products they make. And ensure you are selling all of them for profit.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Selling less units isn't bad if they sell the ones giving better margin and cut the bad ones...

And so long Loeb, won't see him complaining about silly things everytime.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Captain_Tom said:

These hard times are gonna continue for probably another year or so at least.  There is so much fat they have to cut off of the company.  I mean why do they have dozens of cheap Smartphone models?  FOCUS ON WHAT YOU DO WELL.   Nobody bought the iPhone  5C because nobody buys an iPhone to save money!

Once the Fat is gone though I expect some decent profits.

Basically this. Sony made too many smartphones that weren't necessary. Also, starting from the Z4, Sony may stop revising the Xperia bi-annually and update annually which will save costs.

Around the Network

Sony is about to lose its foothold on Smartphones the same way they lost the TV and PCs.

It´s destiny will be very close to what happened to Nokia and Motorola.

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Ok so Sony announced they were going to sell x amount of phones. Then they say we arnt going to hit that mark so we are going to reduce it. Then they say we need to reduce the number of different phones we make so they reduce the number again and this comes as a shock to everyone? Fact is if you reduce the number of different types of things you make odds are your going to have less sales. But the key is (hopefully) you become more profitable. Which is what sony needs to focus on. Synergize the company. Reduce the number of unnessisary products they make. And ensure you are selling all of them for profit.

It isn't that simple, they made investments and estimates based on those reduced product lines (those predictions were insanely high as many here stated at the time they were made), this doesn't magically turn into more profit, it turns into a larger loss as the investments have been made and the returns are far smaller than expected. Sony are woeful when it comes to estimating sales and seem to always go for the most optimistic high end of possibilities, it is a really bad practise as it can make even a relatively good set of numbers look bad and creates business models were over investment occurs.

Dark_Feanor said:
Sony is about to lose its foothold on Smartphones the same way they lost the TV and PCs.

It´s destiny will be very close to what happened to Nokia and Motorola.

Nah, that's just what you wish for every night before you go to sleep just so you don't have to downplay the PS4's success anymore. It must be exhausting being you..

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Just saw this pop up on the stock news, Sony abandoning ps5 research as well?? hopefully not accurate but would not surprise me.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/62624124/report-sony-ceases-playstation-5-research.html

nanarchy said:
Just saw this pop up on the stock news, Sony abandoning ps5 research as well?? hopefully not accurate but would not surprise me.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/62624124/report-sony-ceases-playstation-5-research.html

As far as graphics go, it seems like we really can't go anywhere else. Perhaps framerates and resolutions. I'm sure they can start it up again whenever though.