By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - *Both Gameplay & Story Games Are Great

kljesta64 said:

thats not true. if you talk to children you get childish answers.

I guess we have some children on this very forum then since it's very true from my experience. Of course not everyone, that's why I said "multiple" and not "all" "most" or even "half.

The stigmas are coming from both sides

Around the Network

How dare you imply that the world doesn't exist on a single black and white plane. You must be a fanboy of [not my preference] for stating something that goes against my universally correct opinion.

I enjoyed typing that :p 

*Sound Of Rain said:

Both Are Fun

So, I always see people take jabs at Nintendo for not having story in there games. People say that Nintendo only has Mario or Zelda. Well, this simply isn't true. Nintendo has a stable of IP's of high-quality. Also, just because the game lacks a strong story, doesn't make it bad. These games are often a blast to play

On the flip side, I've seen multiple Nintendo fans through the years say that cutscene-story driven games are boring & lack fun. That Sony hypes their games up with grapghics, only to have the gameplay suck. Well, that's also not true. Games such as The Last Of Us & Heavy Rain are actually really fun too. The story & cinematics help draw you in.

In Short, all types of games can be awesome & all types of games can suck. It depends if it's done correctly

Nothing against stories, but the mainstrean third party games we see these days are aften all about story over core gameplay. It's a shame.

Yes, there's a place for both(there're more than 2, actually...) Uncharted type, blockbuster experiences are like my Transformers. Mostly un-involved, one time experiences where I can "turn my brain off" and be taken on a ride. Whereas RPG's like Fallout are more like a good TV show to me, where you're more likely to stick around and discuss it with friends, and come back to it for the next season.

Mario is just like crack.

Zekkyou said:

How dare you imply that the world doesn't exist on a single black and white plane. You must be a fanboy of [not my preference] for stating something that goes against my universally correct opinion.

I enjoyed typing that :p 

That's exactly how it is with certain users

Around the Network
Never said:

Nothing against stories, but the mainstrean third party games we see these days are aften all about story over core gameplay. It's a shame.

I have to disagree. I do agree that certain games do forget about fun gameplay. With that said, look at the biggest 3rd party series:

Grand Theft Auto, Destiny, Call Of Duty, FIFA, Madden, Minecraft, Metal Gear Solid...

They all are very gameplay focused. The only story-driven one is MGS and that certainly doesn't lack gameplay.

Trunkin said:

Mario is just like crack.

The good kind?

What you say is also true. Many different genres & styles. We should appreciate them all

*Sound Of Rain said:
Never said:

I have to disagree. I do agree that certain games do forget about fun gameplay. With that said, look at the biggest 3rd party series:

Grand Theft Auto, Destiny, Call Of Duty, FIFA, Madden, Minecraft, Metal Gear Solid...

They all are very gameplay focused. The only story-driven one is MGS and that certainly doesn't lack gameplay.

Minecraft's success is in part because it was diffrent to what the norm is for big budget games. But I'm not talking about indies here. I think there are many gameplay focused indie games.

Call of duty's single player is a linear familiar generic modern fps, you might claim there's not much story but the games basically a series of scripted set peice tied up with a basic plot and the odd talking character. There are many action movies that fit that description.

Fifi and madden are sports games.

GTA is the other kind of game you get. Open world mission based games. I wouldn't say GTA V wasnt story driven when it comes to missions - in some ways it's very story driven. but it's a game that has many components.

spurgeonryan said:
Nintendo usually does both properly.

Really, what wiiu game had a great story ?

Having a good story is nice but gameplay should always come first.