By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - worst examples of wii developers sleight of hand (ports, pricing, etc)

tasty: I agree that PS2 had more 3rd party and mature games, though I think it's understandable. I think a lot of 3rd parties would have been happy not to make a lot of games for Nintendo. Of course the sales forced their hands.

I think your very right to compare it with PS1. A weaker system that had to compete with the champ. And we all know how PS1 ended up doing...

Around the Network

@tasty: I could match you game for game comparing first year Wii and PS2 titles all day, but that won't change the fact that you're more focused on Wii ports and shovelware than you are anything else. If your Wii game collection is any indication of the breadth of your Wii experience, you should be playing the good games out there, instead of going mental over the ports and shovelware.

You are aware that RE: CV was a port? Considering that was what this thread is about, it's odd you'd mention it in your PS2 list.

I'd like less ports, more originals too, but that's not how things work. Ports and remakes have been going on for decades. The industry has been getting larger each gen, and also more money-hungry to boot. Shovelware and ports are only going to get more numerous as time goes on(on successful systems at least). Personally, I'll be too busy playing fun games, rather than cataloguing ports and lamenting shovelware.

I do agree that some games are overpriced. But if you feel a game is over-priced, wait for a price-drop or sale(since you're concerned about the price, you must want some of them).

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

^^

the reason i say the wii is nothing like the ps2 is not because i dont think the wii has quality games. i happen to think it has a good number of solid games. i also think the ps2 and wii have only 2 real things in common:
1. affordable price
2. they both sale very well.

aside from that, there's nothing.
the ps2 sold based on very strong 3rd party support and a focus on consumers who were familiar with gaming. 

the wii makes most of it's sales based on it's controls and wii sports (taking the everyone is a gamer approach).
the ps2 had a far greater number of top tier 3rd party titles. 
the ps2 had way more variety in terms of T and M rated games.
ps2 had 3rd party developers that took it seriously and made great games for it from the get go.
the ps2 was the follow up to a very successful console (and generation winner).
the ps2 was a much bigger leap over the ps1 then the wii is over the gamecube from a technical standpoint.

of the list i made:

GT3, twisted metal black, ICO, and jak and daxter were 1st party published titles.

klonoa 2, GTA3, devil may cry, midnight club street racing, SSX, tony hawk 3, ff-10, MGS2, RE: code veronica X, NBA street, SSX tricky, virtua fighter 4, and spy hunter were 3rd party published titles.

none of the titles i listed (except ssx and ssx tricky) have any direct connection.

of the titles you listed:

Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers Charged, Batallion Wars 2, Super Smash Brothers Brawl (for Japan), and Wii Fit (also for Japan), are 1st party titles

3 of those titles are based around the mario franchise.

Zach and Wiki, No More Heroes, and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles are 3rd party titles.

i like the wii, i own it, but comparisons to the ps2 (in my opinion) are insane.

as for the port comments, i have stated several times that i am not against ports. im against ports of 5-9 year old games that sell for standard retail value and try to market themselves as new games.

oh, and TP was not exclusive to the wii. i didn't see you mention that anywhere.

tastyshovelware said:

i like the wii, i own it, but comparisons to the ps2 (in my opinion) are insane.

Because comparing a console that has all but finished its main lifecycle to one that has been out for less than a year and a half is a fair comparison...

^^

all the comparisons i made were from when the ps2 was only a year and a half in.

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:
^^

all the comparisons i made were from when the ps2 was only a year and a half in.

The PS2 launched March 4th, 2000. 

Put dates next to all those PS2 games and I'll believe you.

quigontcb said:
I don't see how Rygar is a bad example of porting, and it certainly isn't "sleight of hand". It was originally going to come out last year, but has been delayed well into this year. Sounds like they taking their time with it. They've been saying this was a remake+ almost since they made mention of the game, so there is no deceit there.

There is really very little info on the game besides the basics. It's a little early to be making your mind up, unless you were one of the few people who played Rygar on PS2. Still, that wouldn't make the project a "sleight of hand".

You're right. I read an interview with the director of the game. New character designs, new combat, new enemies and redone environments doesn't sound like a port to me.

Brawl FC: 0774-3927-9239

"Do you think you could get any more spittle on those fishy lips of yours?" All characters depicted are really stupid and disgusting. Any similarities to actual persons would be really sad.