By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - worst examples of wii developers sleight of hand (ports, pricing, etc)

tastyshovelware said:
@quigontcb:

rygar is an update, not a new game. and it's a sleight of hand because they gave the game a new title even though it's not really a new game. here is a link to an interview with the games creator. you will see it's the same game with a couple new enemies and some slightly updated graphics.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=809251

@game_boy:

"Would you rather the Wii had just a few quality games or a few quality games and thousands of shovelware titles?

Which one made the PS and PS2 successful?"

i don't know why people continue to compare the ps2 to the wii, the 2 systems have very little in common. the quality games to shovelware ratio was way better for the ps2 then it is for wii (as someone who owns and follows both systems). And if i had the choice, i would rather have original quality games, not bs ports that should retail for $10.

I'm well aware of the Rygar project, as I indicated in my first post. There is nothing"sleight of hand" about it. They've been up front about the project for months. The new title arguement is silly. You could just as easily say it is different than the PS2 version, so it has a different title.

About the Wii/PS2 comparison: did you actually own a PS2 the first year it was out?

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network
FreeTalkLive said:
Onyxmeth said:

It doesn't make them bad games, or shovelware, but some of us have already played games like RE4, Okami, RE0, Bully, Rygar(not me personally) and House of the Dead 3, and aren't too excited to see those being some of the highest quality third party support for the Wii at the moment.

Of course, lots of Wii gamers never owned a PS2/Xbox. Also, it is good for everyone because some of these games have much better controls. If you don't want to buy, you can always rent it or buy it used from Gamestop and return for store credit.

I bought Ghost Squad (and am glad I did) but am excited to rent House of the Dead 2/3 because I never played them. Since I get a free rental a month with my Blockbuster plan, this is great news. I am playing both Star Wars Lego games from GC combined with better controls on my Wii right now and loving it.

Let's hope the trend continue!

Maybe you missed in my original post where I said, "For those of you that missed out on these games the first time obviously don't have this issue with them.", because if you had seen it, it would have allowed you to get those five minutes of your life back that you just wasted. I AGREE with your statement. 

Better controls is an opinion and nothing more. A light gun game like House of the Dead 2 and 3 will almost SURELY be on worse controls because the Wiimote is not as accurate as a lightgun. See, opinion.  

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@quigontcb

yes, i did own a launch ps2. in case you forgot, the following games came up for the ps2 within 14 months of the system being out:

GT3, twisted metal black, klonoa 2, GTA3, devil may cry, midnight club street racing, SSX, ICO, jak and daxter, tony hawk 3, ff-10, MGS2, RE: code veronica X, NBA street, SSX tricky.

at the beginning of 2002, they got virtua fighter 4.

so the wii comparison holds up how well?

Few remarks from my side:

Rygar might as well be a completely new game, since everything except for the story is redone. The main character is remodeled and the enemies are different (not changed, different). The developer says that it will have very good Wiimote controls for the discarmor, plus it will have a mode which is meant to work out, with very demanding controls, so a kind of WiiFit hardcore style.

House of the Dead and Ghost Squad might not look that awesome, but to have a few good light-gun games on a home console with real light gun controls is awesome. Ghost Squad is a very cool game. Buy a Nyko perfect shot and it's perfect. A little more perfect is the fact that in GS you can play 2 player mode on your own for some double gun fun.

^^

im not saying they're bad games, but there is no good reason to sell a 5,6 year old game for $30-50. especially when you can find said games elsewhere for >$10

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:
@quigontcb

yes, i did own a launch ps2. in case you forgot, the following games came up for the ps2 within 14 months of the system being out:

GT3, twisted metal black, klonoa 2, GTA3, devil may cry, midnight club street racing, SSX, ICO, jak and daxter, tony hawk 3, ff-10, MGS2, RE: code veronica X, NBA street, SSX tricky.

Small attempt:

SMG (best game of 2007), Zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3, RE4:Wii, RE:UC, Zack & Wiki, Fire Emblem X, SSX Blur, Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, No More Heroes

Not saying it's completely the same story, but Wii has some VERY GOOD games. And this year will be a lot better.

Oxy: I have no problems whatsoever with the light gun games, as they have the possibility to calibrate. 

^^

im not saying the wii doesn't have quality titles but the target market for each system is completely different. Compare the number of 3rd party titles, or the # of Teen/mature rated titles. the overall variety in terms of selection. it's a way different story in my opinion. the wii is way more the ps1 in terms of developers trying to figure out what to do with it and a lot of miss content early on.

tastyshovelware said:
@quigontcb

Well, Wii got Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zach and Wiki, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Paper Mario, No More Heroes, Super Smash Brothers Brawl (for Japan), Wii Fit (also for Japan), Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Mario Strikers Charged, and Batallion Wars 2 in the same time period from launch. I think that is not a lineup you should be complaining about.

By the way, pull out Tony Hawk, Code Veronica X, SSX Tricky, and NBA Street, since they are not exclusive to PS2. 

^^

i already responded to this post when benga made it (right above your post).

why should i ignore cross console titles? that doesn't make sense.

the ps2 also had spy hunter.

Far Cry.. the port was a launch title for the Wii and it failed in every possible way. I think you can buy it for $9.99 now.