By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anonymous Assassin's Creed Unity Dev Says "PS4 Couldn't Handle 1080p"

People are sure getting worked up about an anonymous dev.

Around the Network

So what the anon email is implying is that maybe PS4 could have been 960p 35fps, but why bother with such inconsequential difference and just make it the same? If that is the case, and if Ubi had said exactly that, I reckon there would have been no shitstorm at all. Only a few of the most rabid fanboy would haven made a fuss and everyone else would have laughed at them.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Gamers need to stfu. Gamers know absolute jack about what's involved. They think they know but they don't. Just enjoy the games on your platform.

Ot. Ac unity looks gorgeous.

TheAdjustmentBureau said:

Gamers need to stfu. Gamers know absolute jack about what's involved. They think they know but they don't. Just enjoy the games on your platform.

Ot. Ac unity looks gorgeous.

Actually, that is really not the whole point of this debate. We bought hardware that is suppose to be way better than the past ones. So far they still are failing to meet game makers demands. I still think game makers need to stop throwing all this stuff at the consoles, if nothing can run at gamers expectations. Which is usually the res and FPS.

I'd like one of these games, run at real 1080/60. Than see how much of a "downgrade" the other departments really get. I don't know if the game is gonna look "bad", unless someone actually does this. It be stupid, if say AC would work at those levels, if they just cut 20 AI people from the street, for example. Or made the draw distance slightly lower. I seriously doubt any of the reductions would make them look like Launch xbox/ps3 games. All as we know, the game can't run at 1080/60 is because they can't afford to pay the people to get it optimized. And all this is pure BS.

binary solo said:
So what the anon email is implying is that maybe PS4 could have been 960p 35fps, but why bother with such inconsequential difference and just make it the same? If that is the case, and if Ubi had said exactly that, I reckon there would have been no shitstorm at all. Only a few of the most rabid fanboy would haven made a fuss and everyone else would have laughed at them.

Completely agreed. I was going to pass on this game and still might (for other reasons though) but now I'm going to look into and see if my other concerns are valid or not.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:

The PS4 couldn’t handle 1080p 30fps for our game, whatever people, or Sony and Microsoft say. Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don’t want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of CPU reservations not once, but twice, you’re talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles. So yes, locking the framerate is a conscious decision to keep people bullshiting, but that doesn’t seem to have worked in the end.

Meh, fps lock doesn't actually explain the 1080p vs 900p resolution lock.  More bullshit from Ubisoft undercover.

"Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it" is what to take out of this.  In otherwords, they lied on their official blog.

My 8th gen collection

This "email" could have come from anywhere, but if it is legitimate I'd question why the developers only had the game running at nine frames-per-second nine months ago. Is that normal for a game that had already been in development for over three years?

Yet games like GTA V which is 10 times bigger in scope will probably have no issue hitting 1080p?

Keep digging that hole Ubisoft

zero129 said:
This is just the hard truth of things that console fans will have to face up to..
The X1 and PS4 are powerful but no where near as powerful as the 360 and PS3 was at launch.
You just need to compare hardware at the same time frame to see this, when the x360 and PS3 launched Only the highest of high end PC hardware could match them.
Its a completely different story this gen as we already have midware gaming PC's that can match and outperform the PS4 and X1, and now the is even rumors that devs are gimping PC releases just to keep them on par with the PS4 and X1 versions..

In order for PS4 and Xbone to be like PS360 on launch, they'd need to have 1000$ + GPUs inside them and thats just the GPU cost without the RAM, CPU and the other stuff, which would make the consoles be insanely expensive,

In the end, it doesnt matter, because the graphics standard in the industry is set by the consoles, so the power range under which the consoles operate is the power range developers will create their games in. No one is gonna be developing games on GTX 770 or Titan Z cards.

Besides, Sony designed the PS4 with the developer feedback, giving them they what they want, so it really shouldnt be the problem,unless a certain amoun of money hatting or incompetence is involved such as in Ac Unity's case

Teeqoz said:
How do they manage that? It's no secret that the PS4 is quite a bit more powerful than the XBO, yet they have the same resolution and framerate, but apparently the PS4 performance is maxxed?

Not that it really matters though, as long as the game is fun.

CPU is a bottleneck, thats how.  Lighting physics takes more than just gpu.