By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Kerotan said:

Thanks very much for the informative reply. That makes sense. 

Do you know how many cars were upgraded to premium from GT5 to GT6 if any? 

Sony really should be looking to target a release date for next christmas. Either that or uncharted 4. Now that the PS4 is dominating unlike the ps3, series like uncharted will do even better than last gen.

I don't know how much were upgraded. GT5 had around 300 premium cars while GT6 has 600, but that includes new cars and upgraded ones. GT6 also upgraded the standard models and they look better than on GT5.

Next Christmas would be sweet. UC4 + GT7 would be a killer lineup. But knowing PD I'm not counting on that, maybe a GT7 Prologue and that's it. If they managed a Q4 2016 release date that would already be pretty good. Sony should really increase the size of Poliphony. The studio is struggling and their main competitor has 3 times more personal. It's Sony's biggest franchise and they don't seem to notice that they need more manpower.

Around the Network
torok said:

I don't know how much were upgraded. GT5 had around 300 premium cars while GT6 has 600, but that includes new cars and upgraded ones. GT6 also upgraded the standard models and they look better than on GT5.

Next Christmas would be sweet. UC4 + GT7 would be a killer lineup. But knowing PD I'm not counting on that, maybe a GT7 Prologue and that's it. If they managed a Q4 2016 release date that would already be pretty good. Sony should really increase the size of Poliphony. The studio is struggling and their main competitor has 3 times more personal. It's Sony's biggest franchise and they don't seem to notice that they need more manpower.

Their main competitor has also yet to get the kinds of sales PD does.  I don't think PD is struggling, imo, the amount of employees they have makes their costs 3x less than Turn 10, so their profit is typically higher.  Plus, PD has other projects, GT Academy, professional racing teams, projects w/ auto makers (PD designed the GUI for the Nissan GTR, for example) etc...

Ï think there are more important things Polyphony should drop -

- The still awful menu design,
- License reward cars (or at least an option to turn them off - what's the challenge when I can unlock a 500 HP Lamborghini for free before I do a single race?),
- Licenses themselves (or at least tone them down)
- B-spec (or heavily improve it)

But if we're talking cars only... I think 400 fully rendered "premium" cars would be enough (at least if 100 of them aren't just different Skylines like always).

mornelithe said:

Their main competitor has also yet to get the kinds of sales PD does.  I don't think PD is struggling, imo, the amount of employees they have makes their costs 3x less than Turn 10, so their profit is typically higher.  Plus, PD has other projects, GT Academy, professional racing teams, projects w/ auto makers (PD designed the GUI for the Nissan GTR, for example) etc...

Yes, they eve have the sales advantage! I think they aren't profiting as they should. If GT5 was ready earlier then GT6 could release eraly and probably sell more. I think they are losing money here. Maybe they don't need to be as big as Turn10 since they release less games per gen, but more people looks like a need this days. The extra projects are even an extra reason, since they have much more now than during the PS1/2 days.

torok said:
mornelithe said:

Yes, they eve have the sales advantage! I think they aren't profiting as they should. If GT5 was ready earlier then GT6 could release eraly and probably sell more. I think they are losing money here. Maybe they don't need to be as big as Turn10 since they release less games per gen, but more people looks like a need this days. The extra projects are even an extra reason, since they have much more now than during the PS1/2 days.

There's really no way around it, Sony completely fucked Polyphony Digital with the design of the PS3.  The architecture shift, required a complete rewrite of the legacy/engine code, which required PD to first learn the PS3's architecture beyond your first release level, to 2nd iteration at least.  The first 3 games were roughly 2 years apart, the 4th was 4 years, and 5 took 5 years (not including the time before PS3's launch they'd spent on it).  They pretty much did the same thing this gen, the saving grace is that time to triangle on PS4 is much much shorter than on the PS3.  It's also why FH2 could be cross-gen so easily...similar architectures.

Honestly, I've no idea what their finances are, so I can't say whether or not they're losing money.  I mean, Gran Turismo 6 sold less than we're accustomed to seeing a GT game sell, but it's still moved 2.8m so far, and it's the 2nd iteration on the PS3's engine, so it's costs were likely far less than GT5.   And if they are losing money, that doesn't speak well for Turn 10, since Forza 5 has only moved 1.52m units.

Around the Network
Psychotic said:
Ï think there are more important things Polyphony should drop -

- The still awful menu design,
- License reward cars (or at least an option to turn them off - what's the challenge when I can unlock a 500 HP Lamborghini for free before I do a single race?),
- Licenses themselves (or at least tone them down)
- B-spec (or heavily improve it)

But if we're talking cars only... I think 400 fully rendered "premium" cars would be enough (at least if 100 of them aren't just different Skylines like always).

Menu design was better and more importantly more responsive in GT6
License reward cars are not the problem, the AI not scaling with the car you drive is the problem.
License test were toned down for GT6.
B-Spec was cut for GT6. (Too bad, since I used it in GT5 while I was away to get credits and try all the super expensive cars)

I don't mind the extra standard cars. It's fun to find the crappy car my parents used to drive when I was a kid in '79 Just leave them in and don't spend a lot of time on them. Make more tracks instead.

SvennoJ said:

I don't mind the extra standard cars. It's fun to find the crappy car my parents used to drive when I was a kid in '79 Just leave them in and don't spend a lot of time on them. Make more tracks instead.

This is something I really hope they pick up from Driveclub, I'd like to see some point to point races in GT7, the beautiful driving roads DC uses are something I could see Kaz really getting into, and for fucks sake, someone put the goddamn Transfagarasan Highway in a racing game.

Fast Forward to :36, it's where the highway footage starts.

SvennoJ said:

Menu design was better and more importantly more responsive in GT6
License reward cars are not the problem, the AI not scaling with the car you drive is the problem.
License test were toned down for GT6.
B-Spec was cut for GT6. (Too bad, since I used it in GT5 while I was away to get credits and try all the super expensive cars)

Thanks for the info.

I decided to skip GT6 because of the mixed reviews, but I'll probably buy GT7 and I'm glad they addressed my issues already.

What I want is for them to just stop this whole premium standard car nonsense. Stop the whole cockpit view or non cockpit view crap. I think GT has lost touch of what truly made it great. I had bought every single game in the series but GT5 left a real bitter taste in my mouth. Especially after I for the first time shelled out the cash for a $300 racing wheel.

I don't know, I don't really care if they didn't release GT7 till 2018. As long as when they do, it goes back to being what it used to be. The gaming mecca of driving simulation games. I don't want 500 cars of the mixed bag variety. I would rather take 200-300 cars (Done right) that are worthy to be in a GT title anyday everyday.

mornelithe said:

This is something I really hope they pick up from Driveclub, I'd like to see some point to point races in GT7, the beautiful driving roads DC uses are something I could see Kaz really getting into, and for fucks sake, someone put the goddamn Transfagarasan Highway in a racing game.

Yes please. Someone should also make IRT Deadliest roads into a game. (A real game, not that mobile travesty) Rally driving on those roads would be awesome.