By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny (PS4) outsells Mario Kart 8 in less then 2 weeks.

KLAMarine said:
bubblegamer said:
KLAMarine said:
People saying Destiny is better than Mario Kart 8 is interesting to me: Metacritic says the opposite. MK8's 88 and 9.1 versus Destiny's 77 and 6.4...

Not everyone bases his purchasing decisions on what some game "journalists" think. See sales.

I never mentioned sales in that post.

I did. MC is not how you tell which game is better. People vote with their wallets.

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:

I did. MC is not how you tell which game is better. People vote with their wallets.

So a game that is purchased more is a better game than a game that is not purchased as much? Okay...

teigaga said:

As of 20th september global update;

Destiny PS4: 2,972,777

Mario Kart 8: 2,672,546

If you asked me back in March I would have said Mario Kart 8 and Titanfall will be the years highest selling single platform gamea. Colour me surprised... Next week it will overtake watchdogs.

The fact that MK8 sold as well as it did WITHOUT the insane hype-machine supporting it is a bigger story than The number of units sold for Destiny. I don't recall MK8 being mentioned on the news or various TV shows or even having a "special" Newsweek edition magazine on news stands. 

Try to do at least ONE good deed everyday....

KLAMarine said:
bubblegamer said:

So a game that is purchased more is a better game than a game that is not purchased as much? Okay...

You and me look to MC and our own experience to determine that, but to the average Joe, the iPhone is the best phone out there.

KLAMarine said:

What was the answer?

As joel was in pretty rough shape, they took refuge in a mall.  Ellie finds a downed medi-vac chopper stuck in a roof.  playing as her you have to make your way to it, fighting the same guys from the unniversity.   It includes flash back parts where you are ellie before the whole ordeal.  Being at a military prep school its implied she would have had some kind of first aid training.  once she gets to the heli, she grabs some stuff and returns to joel to suture him up.  As she starts she says "im kind of an expert, sorta.." 

If you also remember back to the beginning of winter in the initial release, she wanted anti-biotics for joel.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, those raid trophies are going to be hard!

That's a huge amount of time! I'm only at 13h 4m 15s so far myself, but that should go up a lot this weekend

I can't play this weekend :(... I have a little travel to do.

bobfulci said:
teigaga said:

As of 20th september global update;

Destiny PS4: 2,972,777

Mario Kart 8: 2,672,546

If you asked me back in March I would have said Mario Kart 8 and Titanfall will be the years highest selling single platform gamea. Colour me surprised... Next week it will overtake watchdogs.

The fact that MK8 sold as well as it did WITHOUT the insane hype-machine supporting it is a bigger story than The number of units sold for Destiny. I don't recall MK8 being mentioned on the news or various TV shows or even having a "special" Newsweek edition magazine on news stands. 

No need for hype when a game is on the market 20+ years. Destiny needed to make itself known. And as we can see it succeeded.

bubblegamer said:
spemanig said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Makes sense for a better game to sell more

Destiny is barely even a good game, let alone a better game than Mario Kart 8.

I dunno. Destiny may not be a great game, but it's certainly better than MK8. Most gamers don't even like Mario.

Funny you guys say this when MK8 is rated higher on Metacritic (by critics AND users) than Destiny, and pretty much all the websites that matter.

Me? I owed both. Destiny is not a bad game, but I literally felt like this game was insulting my intelligence when I went from the beginning of the game to the last boss in a week, without NO explaination on how I got there. It was like a Michael Bay movie, things were exploding everywhere, but you didn't know why and it doesn't make sense why things are blowing up, only thing that matters is that it LOOKS COOL <_<. Needless to say, I sold it after I beat it.

I guess if endless grinding, absolutely NO story for an MMO (which is a FIRST), and no possible way of trading to even try to balance out the already unfair loot system, and taking like an hour and a half of doing the same thing to kill a raid boss doesn't bother you, then I guess Destiny is your thing.

MK8 on the other hand, at least it doesn't try to be something it's not. That and the DLC is much more affordable, and it's MUCH less dependant on DLC, rather than a game solely being based on pouring more money on an already $60 game. That and the game is much more balanced online and the variety 32 race tracks (and 16 will be added VERY soon for $12) keeps every race different and fresh.

EDIT: But then again, you guys are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

bubblegamer said:

lol i could name the sales of some games not on Nintendo's platforms that sell more than those combined. Destiny outselling MK8 with the PS4 version alone in such a short time is testament enough.

The PS4 has a 4m lead on the Wii U. Destiny, one of the most expensive games in history, outselling it on a console with a higher installed base isn't a testament to anything but a marketing budget.

DD_Bwest said:

As joel was in pretty rough shape, they took refuge in a mall.  Ellie finds a downed medi-vac chopper stuck in a roof.  playing as her you have to make your way to it, fighting the same guys from the unniversity.   It includes flash back parts where you are ellie before the whole ordeal.  Being at a military prep school its implied she would have had some kind of first aid training.  once she gets to the heli, she grabs some stuff and returns to joel to suture him up.  As she starts she says "im kind of an expert, sorta.." 

If you also remember back to the beginning of winter in the initial release, she wanted anti-biotics for joel.

So Ellie was able to suture both front and back all on her own at the same time? Joel should have bled to death by then considering his adrenaline and heart rate being driven up prior to the impalement. Also, he seems to have been pierced through the middle, severing his spine. If not, torn into his digestive system which is tightly packed. Even if not, Joel would suffer infection and need surgery. Prior to that, he'd need an ambulance, a sterile surgery room, sterile surgery tools, and a team of trained professionals considering the copious amounts of bleeding that had taken place.

ND wrote U2 for goodness' sake! If they wanted Ellie to go out on her own for a while, surely they could have thought of a better means to do so?

I'm no doctor but here's the opinion of a paramedic, a guy who goes by the name of 'RaiderMan21' who made a post on PlayStation.com. Certainly should make for a good read:

"I work as Paramedic in a busy 911 system so I can give you my medical opinion.

The chances of Joel surviving his fall and not recieving immediate medical assistance and I mean immediate is slim to none.  There are crazy circumstances were people do survive those things.  I have seen someone get shot in the head and survive somehow, so it is not impossible but incredibly unlikely.  When Joel was impaled in the abdomen you assume he did not hit any large organs or anything vital.  But beyond that your talking about big time blood loss, he had no time to attempt to stop the bleeding because he was fighting enemies.  You also run the risk of that rod he was impaled on going through your spine and paralyzing you if not killing you.  Then you worry about infection, sure Ellie got him antibiotics but the amount she got would not come close to resolving that infection.

He fell on a rusty, filthy rod and had an open abdominal wound for who knows how long.  He would need very strong IV antibiotics, I stress the word IV and a tons of fluids and a long hospital stay to recover and thats on the off chance that he would survive to begin with.  So your answer from me is the chances of him surviving the initial fall is extremely slim, surviving without getting immediate medical attention, nearly impossible.  Surviving the infection from the rod without very powerful antibiotics, impossible.  So as you see, survival for Joel would be a medical miracle."