By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Most Wanted: October 2014 Results!

Slarvax said:
Michael-5 said:

Analysis

After Coffee

If Salnax doesn't mind, I would like to take over this part of VGC. I joined for Most Wanted, and maybe under my control I can make it big again. My spreadsheet is almost completely automatic now (just have to use a sort function and edit for new entries).

Suggestions?

Please share. I was thinking about making an RPG (Japanese & Western) list like we have a dedicated one for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

First we would need Salnax to come back :'(

I'm sure he wouldn't mind, but he also has fun doing this. So I guess both of you might sort out, like you or him every 2 months or something along those lines. Unless he sends his assassins to take he's Most Wanted reign back :P 

I'd like the RPG list. I would also like something that tells us which genre is more popular for which platform. Ex: Shooters dominate in Xbox One, or Platformers in Wii U, etc. But that would be pretty hard, right?

When he came back, we were talking about him taking this back, but he stopped replying pretty quickly. I know Salnax is happy just to see this thread alive. I'll keep trying to get in touch with him, sort out a plan, but if his life problems are taking up a lot of his time, I would also be happy taking this over.

As for the genre popularity, it wouldn't be too hard, I'd just have to add another table and section on excell (count all the genres per platform, sort, and then make a short list manually).

As for the rest of the format, do you like it? I personally really like the extended analysis, gives you an idea of where the votes are changing.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Slarvax said:

First we would need Salnax to come back :'(

I'm sure he wouldn't mind, but he also has fun doing this. So I guess both of you might sort out, like you or him every 2 months or something along those lines. Unless he sends his assassins to take he's Most Wanted reign back :P 

I'd like the RPG list. I would also like something that tells us which genre is more popular for which platform. Ex: Shooters dominate in Xbox One, or Platformers in Wii U, etc. But that would be pretty hard, right?

When he came back, we were talking about him taking this back, but he stopped replying pretty quickly. I know Salnax is happy just to see this thread alive. I'll keep trying to get in touch with him, sort out a plan, but if his life problems are taking up a lot of his time, I would also be happy taking this over.

As for the genre popularity, it wouldn't be too hard, I'd just have to add another table and section on excell (count all the genres per platform, sort, and then make a short list manually).

As for the rest of the format, do you like it? I personally really like the extended analysis, gives you an idea of where the votes are changing.

Ok, that's great

And yeah, I like all of it. It feels like we know all of the sites tastes, and what could be popular when releases. But I have to be honest, I've never read a full analysis of this.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Michael-5 said:

Ok, that's great

And yeah, I like all of it. It feels like we know all of the sites tastes, and what could be popular when releases. But I have to be honest, I've never read a full analysis of this.

I don't think most people read the WHOLE analysis, this is why I wanted to make a table. It's easy to take a quick glance at.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Good work, Michael. Thanks.

Interesting to see how high Smash 3DS wound up being. Six months ago it was barely picking up leftovers from the Wii U version.

EDIT: I notice there are some games listed in the fourth post with no associated points or votes. Eh?

Fist of all, thanks for the great job. With Salnax not being able to do it, it's good to see someone making a step forward to do it and doing it so well.

About your analysis (because I do read them), I agree that Nintendo will lose some points but I'm not that convinced that PS4/Sony will gain them. The way Nintendo gamers work, they will probably either not vote (so PS4 will gain % but not actual votes) or simply vote for another Nintendo game (ie. instead of voting for Smash, vote for Splatoon). The XboxOne will have a bigger drop.

Oh, and as you said, it's weird to see some games disappear from one month to another.

As for suggestions:

+ I like Slarvax's idea of telling which genre dominates each console, but a small table with the consoles and genres, with a % would be more revealing.

+ Colous. I had this discussion with Salnax too when he did it, but I think you should change some colours. Blue tones for Nintendo consoles are ok, and greens for Xbox are ok too (although I don't like that brown on MSoft's published games, specially because its for games on 3 platforms but since they only have 1 vote you could list just the voted platform), but I'll have to make a claim for Sony, PC and Multiplatform games.

I'm sorry but PC games can't be in grey. Grey is a 'meh' colour, it is undefined, the best example of the result of a mix of two colours and therefore it should be the colour for multiplatform games. With multis being grey you can use orange for Sony console games, after all orange and red melt together much better than yellow and red, and use yellow for PC games.

+Graphs. No problem with Points per platform, but with the other two it could be better for us to read it (and possibly for you to make it) if you limit the inputs to 10. For example, in the "Points per Platform" graph only 8 publishers (until Atlus) have >2% of points, and you even have an others section. Limiting it to 10 inputs would have much of an impact:

Or alternatively, you could make a sub-graph to include which are those others:

And the same is true with the Points per Genre graph.

Just my 2cents .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

Fist of all, thanks for the great job. With Salnax not being able to do it, it's good to see someone making a step forward to do it and doing it so well.

About your analysis (because I do read them), I agree that Nintendo will lose some points but I'm not that convinced that PS4/Sony will gain them. The way Nintendo gamers work, they will probably either not vote (so PS4 will gain % but not actual votes) or simply vote for another Nintendo game (ie. instead of voting for Smash, vote for Splatoon). The XboxOne will have a bigger drop.

Oh, and as you said, it's weird to see some games disappear from one month to another.

As for suggestions:

+ I like Slarvax's idea of telling which genre dominates each console, but a small table with the consoles and genres, with a % would be more revealing.

+ Colous. I had this discussion with Salnax too when he did it, but I think you should change some colours. Blue tones for Nintendo consoles are ok, and greens for Xbox are ok too (although I don't like that brown on MSoft's published games, specially because its for games on 3 platforms but since they only have 1 vote you could list just the voted platform), but I'll have to make a claim for Sony, PC and Multiplatform games.

I'm sorry but PC games can't be in grey. Grey is a 'meh' colour, it is undefined, the best example of the result of a mix of two colours and therefore it should be the colour for multiplatform games. With multis being grey you can use orange for Sony console games, after all orange and red melt together much better than yellow and red, and use yellow for PC games.

+Graphs. No problem with Points per platform, but with the other two it could be better for us to read it (and possibly for you to make it) if you limit the inputs to 10. For example, in the "Points per Platform" graph only 8 publishers (until Atlus) have >2% of points, and you even have an others section. Limiting it to 10 inputs would have much of an impact:

Just my 2cents .

Most of the points going towards Nintendo will move onto other Nintendo games, but I a good portion of Nintendo fans don't just vote Nintendo. I for instance will likely vote for The Order when Pokemon comes out, and my votes for Mass Effect and Grim Fandango will go up a point. I do agree that we will see a rise in Splatoon, Zelda, Starfox and XenoBlade votes, but it won't all go to Nintendo. 3DS fans for instance I feel don't have many options, so they will likely vote on another platform.

I didn't mean that PS4 would absorb the vote from Nintendo, but that with some of PS4's big games releasing in February, we might see more multi-platform voters specify PS4 games. I.e. Someone who gives Bloodborne 1-2 points, might give it 4-5 in January.

For colours, you want PS4/PS3 to be Orange/Red, multiplatform titles to be gray and PC yellow? What colour should I use for PC/Console exclusives (something Microsoft is notorious for). I want to keep them separate, but I don't want them the same colour as regular multi-platform games. Sounds good, I'll change it for next month, and possibly make PS4 red and PS3 orange (since PS3 won't be around as long).

How did you make that pie chart in a pie chart? I also felt the graph was a bit cluttered, but I had a lot of work to submit on the same day as Most Wanted, and I didn't want people to wait. I think I'll likely just do your suggestion about restricting it to 2%+, but for consoles, since there are only 8 platforms (PS3, PS4, Vita, 360, XB1, 3DS, WiiU, PC), I'll keep them all, even if something like 360 only accounts for 0.1%.

Michael-5 said:
JEMC said:

As for suggestions:

For colours, you want PS4/PS3 to be Orange/Red, multiplatform titles to be gray and PC yellow? What colour should I use for PC/Console exclusives (something Microsoft is notorious for). I want to keep them separate, but I don't want them the same colour as regular multi-platform games. Sounds good, I'll change it for next month, and possibly make PS4 red and PS3 orange (since PS3 won't be around as long).

Given that we won't agree on where the points will go (I see your point, though) I'll go to the other things.

It's not that I "want" the colous to be that way, it's only a suggestion. You can use the ones you like althought I still think that grey should go with multiplatform games: it doesn't make sense to give them a specific colour as they don't have a specific platform, but since they can't be left white as that could be confusing, grey is the best option. Again, at least for me.

The 360/X1/PC situation will fade soon, as less and less games appear for the 360 so it's not something worth thinking about. The same is true for PS3/PS4 games. It's just that searching for that brown when those games had only 1 vote, seemed like a waste of time. Just list the platform they were voted.

Michael-5 said:
JEMC said:

*snip*

Just my 2cents .

How did you make that pie chart in a pie chart? I also felt the graph was a bit cluttered, but I had a lot of work to submit on the same day as Most Wanted, and I didn't want people to wait. I think I'll likely just do your suggestion about restricting it to 2%+, but for consoles, since there are only 8 platforms (PS3, PS4, Vita, 360, XB1, 3DS, WiiU, PC), I'll keep them all, even if something like 360 only accounts for 0.1%.

It's an option in Excel (I have Excel 2007), simple as that.

Oh, and it's ok to list all the platforms, that's why I didn't mention it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Michael-5 said:

Given that we won't agree on where the points will go (I see your point, though) I'll go to the other things.

It's not that I "want" the colous to be that way, it's only a suggestion. You can use the ones you like althought I still think that grey should go with multiplatform games: it doesn't make sense to give them a specific colour as they don't have a specific platform, but since they can't be left white as that could be confusing, grey is the best option. Again, at least for me.

The 360/X1/PC situation will fade soon, as less and less games appear for the 360 so it's not something worth thinking about. The same is true for PS3/PS4 games. It's just that searching for that brown when those games had only 1 vote, seemed like a waste of time. Just list the platform they were voted.

Michael-5 said:

It's an option in Excel (I have Excel 2007), simple as that.

Oh, and it's ok to list all the platforms, that's why I didn't mention it.

No I agree with you about colours, I already changed them for November. Just a question, what do you think is best for XB1/PC exclusives? I still want to separate the colours, even if people didn't vote for the PC platform because if gives a reader a quick glance at what's really exclusive. I guess now that 360's gone, I can just make them light green right?

As for the graph, I use Ubuntu, so it's not as simple. If excel can do it, so can Ubuntu, but by Ubuntu is old so maybe not. I'll fiddle around, but I don't want to add needless work, so I'll probably just make the cut off 2%.

What about genres? The big issue with genres is that so many games are Miscellaneous, or niche (like Adventure). I mean what's Pheonic Wright? What about a Digital Novel? No Man's Sky? Do you think my genres are acceptable, or should I also make a cut off at 2% (Simulation would rarely make +2%).

Thanks for sending out the link. I always seem to miss the results of the previous month.

Zelda almost number 1 and not even a proper trailer is out. God bless Zelda franchise.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile