By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC build- attempt 10

CGI-Quality said:
Vasto said:
FDARaptor said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GJWVf7

Build 3. Think I nailed it.

Overkill on CPU, Motherboard, Ram and Video Card.  As for storage get SSDs only unless you really need the space of a regular hard drive.

You can't call it overkill without knowing what he's using it for. If it's just for gaming, yes, it's more than necessary. Otherwise, no other way to call it.

Have you not read the comments?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Vasto said:
CGI-Quality said:

You can't call it overkill without knowing what he's using it for. If it's just for gaming, yes, it's more than necessary. Otherwise, no other way to call it.

Have you not read the comments?

I'm not sure they help you, here. He said he was 17, but makes no mention of his plans for the machine. Perhaps you know something that I don't (or I missed what he said it was for)? Yes, he mentions gaming, but is it only for that? Nothing else? I know myself, for example, built a machine to game on, but there are other, more potent uses for it that I considered while buying it. I'd surely be told it was: "overkill", but gaming wouldn't be its strict purpose.

If thats the case then why are you just saying this now when there have been 4 days of discussion telling him what and what not to get?

CGI-Quality said:
Vasto said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm not sure they help you, here. He said he was 17, but makes no mention of his plans for the machine. Perhaps you know something that I don't (or I missed what he said it was for)? Yes, he mentions gaming, but is it only for that? Nothing else? I know myself, for example, built a machine to game on, but there are other, more potent uses for it that I considered while buying it. I'd surely be told it was: "overkill", but gaming wouldn't be its strict purpose.

If thats the case then why are you just saying this now when there have been 4 days of discussion telling him what and what not to get?

Because your post was the last one I saw.  I haven't followed the thread for the last four days, as I'm assuming you have. Even more of a reason why you could have just simply replied to my question and been done with it.

Because your question is strange. I see you posted telling him that his build is not bad but you dont even know what he is building it for.

CGI-Quality said:
Vasto said:
CGI-Quality said:

Because your post was the last one I saw.  I haven't followed the thread for the last four days, as I'm assuming you have. Even more of a reason why you could have just simply replied to my question and been done with it.

Because your question is strange. I see you posted telling him that his build is not bad but you dont even know what he is building it for.

The build isn't "bad" regardless of what he's putting it together for (which is ironic, given you called it "overkill" without knowing what its complete use is, yourself - a stark difference between us, in fact). These are good, current day specs for many things (gaming just happening to be one of them). That much is certain. However, that's pretty irrelevant regarding my post to you. I merely asked if you knew something I didn't. Nothing strange about that. I just know, now, that you don't. 

OP: When you come back, I'm actually curious - is there anything you plan to do with this thing other than gaming?

This is getting weired so for me there is nonthing else to see here. 

Maxing out games this year for the next few years.

Around the Network

theres a lot you can change with that build to drop the price significantly, without impacting performance.

Different ram, Motherboard and fine tuning other components here and there to shave down the price.

CGI-Quality said:
FDARaptor said:
Maxing out games this year for the next few years.

Gotcha. You'll definitely have plenty for a long while! If you stay with those specs, enjoy!

Tachikoma said:
theres a lot you can change with that build to drop the price significantly, without impacting performance.

Different ram, Motherboard and fine tuning other components here and there to shave down the price.

It keeps erasing what I right.

CGI- Thanks!

Tach- Could you tell me what you had in mind?

FDARaptor said:
It keeps erasing what I right.

CGI- Thanks!

Tach- Could you tell me what you had in mind?

You could use a Z79-A instead of a Z79 Deluxe, and the differences in games would be unnoticable, but the difference in price would be $232, and you would still have the ability to install a second GPU and run SLI at a later date. Both boards have the same cpu power management and much of the same feature set, too.

Then switch the Corsair memory for PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, saving $82, ram on a whole does very little to gaming performance, the overall ammount matters but the difference between 1600mhz and 2400mhz isn't generally a massive deal.

If you absolutely must have 2400mhz ram, then Team TXWD316G2400HC10QDC01 have a 16gb 2x8gb kit for $145 which actually saves you $84.
Overclocking is a different story however, but with the primary components you've chosen there really should be little reason at all to overclock your system in any way.Your chosen monitors maximum resolution is 1080p, and you'd be hard pressed to find a game that would dip under the magic 60fps with that setup.

So with those two changes alone, you affect performance in basically undetectable degrees, but save roughly $310.

The rest is just a matter of looking at different brands/manufacturers for the same thing, generally my rule of thumb is "don't skimp on gpu, psu or cpu" everything else makes little difference.