By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie responds to Miyamoto

Legend11 said:
ALKO said:

in game design view halo is a poor game...

halo 3 will confirm...

but it would be the only thing decent on x360 this year...

Ok, exactly how in "game design" is it a "poor game"?

Oh and I guess you never heard of Bioshock, Mass Effect, Too Human, Grand Theft Auto 4, and dozens of other games coming the the 360 this year that might be better than "decent".

Single Player.  Otherwise his post makes no sense.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Cipherr said:
Legend11 said:
Gballzack said:
I'm amused how everyone here only thinks Miyamoto invented Mario, lol. Metroid anyone? Zelda? Starfox? Earthbound? etc. etc. Sorry Muder and Death hadn't been the norm by that time but I'm pretty confident he could handle a simple FPS like Halo 3.

Zelda? I remember games as early back as 1983 that were action rpgs... Starfox.. Wasn't that the first shooter ever? No wait it wasn't.. The first to use polygons right? Umm no... Earthbound, the first rpg ever! Wait no it wasn't and didn't bring anything new to the table that wasn't seen before... But wait you said Miyamoto does the best in every field, why isn't Earthbound the best rpg ever? Why isn't Starfox the best shooter ever created? Hmm...

Dont stop there, why isnt Halo the best FPS ever? Ohsnap? Seriously I can likely find games in all genres I consider to be better on PC than their console counterparts except for platformers. Consoles seem to have that locked down. Metroid Halo all of these RPG's and puzzle games on consoles. Ive seen better on PC by far in most areas. Thats what took me so long to get into Halo in the first place, and while Ill probably never be a Halo "lover" like some people are. When you have played FPS like that on PC's before, online isnt new to you, driving vehicles in combat isnt new to you, massive maps arent new to you, voicechat isnt new, diverse weapon selection isnt new. So you just feel like your playing something smaller in scale with a much worse control form (KB&M > all, even the wiimote+nunchuck sorry its just true)

But after you seperate the PC and Consoles I was able to see that Halo is a great game for what it is, a cosole FPS. Same way Golden Eye was. I remember people used to ream GE back then vs PC games too lol.

I think the reason why consoles have platformers locked up is it's the one genre (that I can think of) where the joypad/gamepad is actually superior to a keyboard and mouse for controls.

I completely agree with what Cipherr says about FPS on PCs.  I went through the same transition with reluctantly admitting that Halo was a decent console FPS.  It's good for consoles to evolve into what PCs can do.  I just wish all the console FPSs supported keyboard/mouse controls...

I think there are other types of games that are better on consoles, though.  Sports games, racing games (racing is a sport but there are so many variations its a seperate category, heh), some puzzle games, fighting games, lots of hand-to-hand action games (third person like platformers, but more emphasis on combat).

I think as soon as consoles let you choose keyboard/mouse (I know there is one game coming up that will allow it) everyone will be forced to use it to compete, and the consoles will greatly reduce the PC's advantage. 

I'm just tired of people taking Miyamoto completely out of context. *sigh*

But for the record:

Earthbound IS the best rpg ever.

Legend11 said:
ALKO said:

in game design view halo is a poor game...

halo 3 will confirm...

but it would be the only thing decent on x360 this year...

Ok, exactly how in "game design" is it a "poor game"?

Oh and I guess you never heard of Bioshock, Mass Effect, Too Human, Grand Theft Auto 4, and dozens of other games coming the the 360 this year that might be better than "decent".

will see...

these are games for "adult children"...

people is getting bored of this type of games...

ds prove this.

wii prove this.

less than 3 million...

we will see... 

Around the Network

what do you think would be better a Miyamoto halo or a bungie mario

LordTheNightKnight said:
All Bungie's tongue-in-cheek comment means is THEY AREN'T BOTHERED by Miyamoto's comments. So if the VERY DEVELOPERS of Halo aren't bothered by it, then you people on the web have even less business getting so worked up.

QFT

On another note, who the hell is this Frank guy?

I knew a number of the original Bungie staff via email back before they were bought by MS and I don't remember him.

I wonder of Jonas Eneroth, Doug Zartman and Matt Soell still work there...

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

xstonexcold316x said:
what do you think would be better a Miyamoto halo or a bungie mario

Miyamoto has influenced games like Metroid Prime which is typically called a First Person Adventure (because of its focus on Puzzles and Bosses rather than 'Shooting') and Battalion Wars which is typically called a Battlefield Real Time Strategy game. If Miyamoto was more directly involved I expect you'd see a game which broke from convention ... Personally, I would hope for a First Person Survival Horror Adventure game but I'm certain Miyamoto would not be that interested in developing that himself.

Bungie would probably attempt to produce a well executed generic platformer.

If both lived up to potential I expect they would both be excellent games although Miyamoto's game would (possibly) have a more rabid following because of how distinct it was.

Legend11 said:

Some of the guys on Bungie's team have over 10-15 years of experience developing first person shooters, so for someone who's never made one to simply imply his team could do just as good a job is ignorant at best.

Sarcasm is the recourse of a weak mind!!!!!

try not to defame!

Peace!