By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Metroid Vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Tagged games:

What's your answer?

SUPA METROID FTW! 37 62.71%

CASABANIA: SYMPONY OF DA KNIGHT FTW! 15 25.42%

NIEDER I LIKE BOAT! 6 10.17%

NEVA PLAYED SUPA METROID! 0 0%

NEVA PLAYED CASABANIA! 1 1.69%

Total:59

Which game in your opinion was the better Metroidvania/Castletroid game? In my opinion it's Super Metroid. The atmosphere made me feel that I was really Samus, and I was obliterating Space Pirates. The fact that Samus was a girl helped. 

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Around the Network

Castlevania.. the fact that Alucard is prettier than any girl helped.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Both are great games with excellent graphics, sound, play control, and game design. But I'd give the win to Super Metroid. Superior pacing, level design, and atmosphere give it an edge.

Gotta be Super Metroid. I think without that game Symphony of the Night probably wouldn't have existed as we know it. Both however are incredible games.

Sorry, I love Symphony of the night but Super Metroid FTW!

Around the Network

Is Symphony of the Night better than Castlevanias on DS? I'm thinking whether it's better to pick it up on Vita or just play the DS ones.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Is Symphony of the Night better than Castlevanias on DS? I'm thinking whether it's better to pick it up on Vita or just play the DS ones.

I'd argue that Symphony of the Night is better than all the "Metroidvania" games it inspired, with the exception of Aria of Sorrow. That being said, I highly recommend playing all the GBA and DS Castlevania games.

Both Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are featured on my Top 50 list (#12 and #17 respectively) so while I do give the edge to Super Metroid, both are incredible achievements in gaming.

Signature goes here!

It's a tough choice which requires an explanation.

With the first castle on SotN and all of Super Metroid, you can only go through certain areas after acquiring certain abilities. Symphony of the Night's true ending unlocks the inverted castle though, and imo, the inverted castle is where Symphony of the Night falters. The inverted castle seems to be thought out if you think about it, but the way it plays feels like it was just tacked on. When exploring the inverted castle, it feels like you're just filling up the map and nothing more, unlike the regular castle and Super Metroid where you're actually making progress all the way to unlocking the inverted castle. The inverted castle includes unique items, new bosses, unique items, and a harder difficulty until you unlock one of the more op weapons like Crissaegrim, but it still feels like a tacked on experience compared to the rest of the game.

If you were to compare exploring the first castle on Symphony of the Night and ending the game without unlocking the inverted castle then overall the game is a much better experience in my opinion.

So my answer is mixed. Symphony of the Night is the better game, but in terms of overall experience and progression, I'd have to say Super Metroid though.

Scisca said:

Symphony of the Night is, hands down, the best Castlevania game ever made.