By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 week of Destiny > week of Japan launch...

Seems like the white console pushed at least 30k extra sales to PS4 in the USA alone, and considering the fpsness of the game it probably pushed at least 10k of the japanese sales boost for the week. The white bundle prohablybpushed at least another 30-50k across all the other territories, so my guess is that destinyvalnoe would not have boosted PS4 into the 400K zone. You've got to credit the white sku for such a huge number, which was a very smart move.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
freedquaker said:
I am quoting myself once again:

freedquaker said:
What Sony gets and MS don't is that it is the online games that require connectivity and lots of friend circles that push most of the sales, exclusive or not.

This is why Sony backed up Destiny heavily as it will help sell more PS4, and those people's friends will also buy one to stay in the circle. This is not a brand effect but rather "network effects", which is exactly why X360 was popular in the past. Sony uses the same tactics against MS this time around.

Yes, not only the exclusives but online games like Destiny have been the true system sellers since the beginning of the 7th generation.

Those two statements contradict each other.  How can Microsoft get the "network effects" by introducing internet connectivity with the 360, as you pointed out, but somehow not get it with their later console, the XB1, eight years later?

Jimbo1337 said:
freedquaker said:
I am quoting myself once again:

freedquaker said:
What Sony gets and MS don't is that it is the online games that require connectivity and lots of friend circles that push most of the sales, exclusive or not.

This is why Sony backed up Destiny heavily as it will help sell more PS4, and those people's friends will also buy one to stay in the circle. This is not a brand effect but rather "network effects", which is exactly why X360 was popular in the past. Sony uses the same tactics against MS this time around.

Yes, not only the exclusives but online games like Destiny have been the true system sellers since the beginning of the 7th generation.

Those two statements contradict each other.  How can Microsoft get the "network effects" by introducing internet connectivity with the 360, as you pointed out, but somehow not get it with their later console, the XB1, eight years later?

There is nothing that contradicts each other in those sentences. Microsoft was able to build momentum and reap network effects with Halo in X360 because

- It had one year lead before PS3, which helped them especially in English Speaking Countries

- Halo was not a new IP, but based on an already well known brand and company.

Now think about Titanfall and XB1 before jumping into conclusions. You're so focused on your idea that you do not allow any other consideration at all.

- XB1 had no year lead start, but had to compete against the PS

- XB1 had much smaller user base

- Titanfall is a new IP versus Halo which was based on an establised IP from a well known company.

And you expected to reap network effects? Titanfall will soon be totally forgotten unless a sequel is released, which will likely be multi-platform. Destiny is already multi-platform but who is it benefitting more? That's why Sony plays it right, MS don't!

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

mZuzek said:
I don't think it's that surprising considering how terrible home console sales are in Japan.

Not really since the topic is about Japan launch sales and they were quite good.  50k behin the Wii launch.

Jimbo1337 said:

What he means is that the size of the user base is more important than ever because of online connectivity. If I want to play CoD with my friends, we have to be in the same console. If there are more PS4s, probably more friends of mine will have one and when I decide to buy a console, I will buy the same one that they have to be able to play with them.

Edit: Just to add. User base was always important, since your friends would try to get you to buy the same console they have. But now, they have a stronger argument. If you want to play with them, you have to buy the same console.

Around the Network

Unexpected, but incredible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

i noted that when the numbers were first posted but yes,.. incredible.

no one will want to believe it before it happens but all signs point to ps4 having a 1+ million week the week before xmas. ps4 is only slightly behind wii and wii had a 1.46M week it's first xmas.

TheFallen said:
With a multiplatform game doing this sort of damage, an uncharted or Gran Turismo launch is going to be crazy. I don't ever remember PS3 doing these kinds of numbers outside holiday or EU launch.

I'm almost certain Gran Turismo isn't as much of a system seller as people think it is. The last one released Black Friday in the USA, so you can't really do comparisons there. In Europe, sales went from 138k to 242k. A bump? Certainly. But in 2011, sales went from 153k to 219k in the same weeks with no major releases. So a bunch of this boost is just a holiday boost. Japan has a pretty clear jump of nearly 40k...but still, nowhere do I see proof that Gran Turismo would cause an even greater boost in sales than Destiny just did.

Uncharted may be a different story, but it is difficult to tell, as the sales with that include 2nd week sales for Battlefield 3, which still sold nearly as much as UC did the 1st week.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

kitler53 said:

no one will want to believe it before it happens but all signs point to ps4 having a 1+ million week the week before xmas. ps4 is only slightly behind wii and wii had a 1.46M week it's first xmas.

Isn't this its 2nd xmas?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:
kitler53 said:

Isn't this its 2nd xmas?

okay yeah,. i'm comparing to wii's second xmas then too.  i kind disreguard the first i guess as the "launch" not it's full holiday periods and it doesn't benefit from a library of games worth playing.   basically,. for any console ever the first year of sales "suck" and sales turn a huge corner at the holiday following the launch.   that first (second) holiday seems to be when the "casuals" start buying.