Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Explains Why Halo: Master Chief Collection Isn't Coming to PC, Doesn't Rule Out a Future PC Release

"We wanted to do a great job on console.

This November's Xbox One bundle, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, is currently only due for release on the next-gen console. But could it come to PC some day? It hasn't been ruled out, but Microsoft says the Xbox One version is the company's main focus right now"

"We've definitely heard the questions about PC," 343 Industries executive producer Dan Ayoub toldKotaku. "Right now we're a couple months out from the Xbox version's release, and that's our main focus right now. That's quite honestly where all our headspace is right now."

"We wanted to do a great job on console" -- 343 Industries exec. producer Dan Ayoub

Ayoub went on to say that porting past-generation games to new platforms may not sound like the most difficult thing to do, but for The Master Chief Collection, the scope of the project was so large that taking on two versions at once--Xbox One and PC--would have been tricky.

"From a technical standpoint, you look at the architecture of the Xbox One and there are some similarities to the architecture of a modern PC," he said. "That certainly makes that sort of cross-platform development easier. But beyond that the ease goes away. Master Chief Collectionis massive. We have to coordinate four games, 100-plus maps, a lot of new cinematics, and Halo 2 Anniversary."

Due to the scope of the project, Ayoub said 343 Industries had to decide how best to appropriate its resources, which meant leading with Xbox One.

"We wanted to do a great job on console," Ayoub said. "The anchor of Halo: Master Chief Collection is the ten-year anniversary of Halo 2 on console. So our approach was to focus primarily on console as a result of that."

 

Finally, Ayoub made it clear that the appeal of the PC platform--its huge install base and modding support--is not lost on 343 Industries.

"That's one of the things I love about the PC community. You've got so many cool things going on [with fans]," he said. "And then you've got the breadth; PCs are everywhere all over the planet. Obviously as part of Microsoft PCs are part of our business. When you look at that market and community, there's almost limitless possibilities in terms of what we can do."

It's not much of a surprise that The Master Chief Collection is coming only to Xbox One; after all, it is one of Microsoft's biggest Xbox One exclusives for this year and is no doubt seen as a potential system-seller. If it were to come to PC right out of the gate, gamers would have less of an incentive to buy an Xbox One.

A retail listing for a PC version of The Master Chief Collection appeared last month, but Microsoft wasquick to shoot this down, saying the product page was posted in error.

In addition to the remastered versions of the numbered Halo games, The Master Chief Collection includes access to Ridley Scott's live-action showHalo: Nightfall. Buying the bundle will also secure you a spot in the Halo 5: Guardians beta, which runs December 29-January 19.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-explains-why-halo-master-chief-collectio/1100-6422432/



    

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Hope it does come to PC eventually. I'm willing to wait.



MS shouldn't have said that.... They should have just put their foot down and say Halo: MCC is Xbox One-only. The last thing you want to do is inadvertently convince people to wait for the PC version to come out, especially after what we saw with Ryse and Dead Rising 3.



I don't think MS gets what exclusive means, this whole put every exclusive on PC thing is one of the reasons I'm starting to dislike MS.



They should have never mentioned a PC version at all...stupid move.  If this, their biggest franchise, goes to PC their exclusives are gonna get that stigma of just going to PC a few months later.



Around the Network

So that they don't neuter XB1 sales obviously. It'd be a steam top seller for months. Heck the PC community have wanted Halo 3 for a while now.



NobleTeam360 said:
I don't think MS gets what exclusive means, this whole put every exclusive on PC thing is one of the reasons I'm starting to dislike MS.

I'm literally scratching my head as to why MS said this. Halo: MCC and the entire franchise is THE biggest selling point for the X1. Saying that it might come out on PC is a huge no-no and consequently, the X1 loses a huge reason for consumers to buy the system.



I guess i should ignore Halo 1 & Halo 2 PC ver. in my shelf. :



Battletag: Quakecore89#1866 / GOG: AMDFX89 / PSN: QuakeCore_89 / Xbox Live Tag: QuakeCore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PCs: -PC 2017(Ryzen 7 3700X/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/GeForce RTX 2060 6GB/Crucial 250GB M.2(Boot) Kingston 1TB SSD(Storage))

QUAKECore89 said:
I guess i should ignore Halo 1 & Halo 2 PC ver. in my shelf. :


lol. I still play Halo 1 PC till this day. 2 is too messed up to bother installing it.

Aura7541 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I don't think MS gets what exclusive means, this whole put every exclusive on PC thing is one of the reasons I'm starting to dislike MS.

I'm literally scratching my head as to why MS said this. Halo: MCC and the entire franchise is THE biggest selling point for the X1. Saying that it might come out on PC is a huge no-no and consequently, the X1 loses a huge reason for consumers to buy the system.

Really, that huge? Halo 5 would be huge. But MCC is still ports. It will get a boost from tha Halo 5 demo for sure.



Aura7541 said:
MS shouldn't have said that.... They should have just put their foot down and say Halo: MCC is Xbox One-only. The last thing you want to do is inadvertently convince people to wait for the PC version to come out, especially after what we saw with Ryse and Dead Rising 3.


2009's "only exlcusive games sell consoles "thinking called...it agrees with your statement.