By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Free "The Best RPGs Are On Xbox 360" DVD available at Gamestop

@Starcraft, how can you say that WKS's combat looks repetitive and boring, when we've seen so little?

Also, Folklore is more of an action/adventure with RPG elements.

Around the Network

It's pretty easy to have the best RPGs when you're the only console on the market with any.

If I had to choose between 360 and PS3, I'd definitely go with PS3 for my RPG fix. The only problem is that I'd be torn between Infinite Undiscovery and possibly Star Ocean 4. Do I go with tri-Ace's new IP or stick the franchise I love more than anything?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
It's pretty easy to have the best RPGs when you're the only console on the market with any.

If I had to choose between 360 and PS3, I'd definitely go with PS3 for my RPG fix. The only problem is that I'd be torn between Infinite Undiscovery and possibly Star Ocean 4. Do I go with tri-Ace's new IP or stick the franchise I love more than anything?

That was my issue.  SO4 is coming to the PS3 (whether it's been officially announced or not, let's face logic), and IU is going to be awesome... but I ended up deciding to go with SO.  Trailers looked too incredible to pass up.

ClaudeLv250 said:

You say that the 360 is the only console on the market with RPG's, but that you would go to a PS3 for your RPG fix?

Im consused.

For my part, I don't think the PS3 will EVER have the WRPG's to match the Xbox 360.

As for JRPG's, the PS3 will never dominate the Xbox 360 like the PS2 did the Xbox.  What will happen is, approximately two years after FXIII sells gangbusters on the PS3, a fair number of JRPG's will hit the console having been approved at the time FF widened the PS3's JRPG userbase.  Until then, MS will own JRPG's (at least in terms of high-definition) simply due to their planning ahead and money hatting.

That puts PS3 JRPG superiority at approximately 3 years out:) 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

360 got all the decent ones but that should change within a couple years.

Ps3 will most likely take the cake with:Disgaea 3,Eternal Sonata,Bumpy Trot 2, Angel Rings, WKS, Shin Megami Tensei,Valkyria Chronicles,Star ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia(360 first though) and Square's newly announced MMO. There are sure to be other's announced soon to.

FFXIII and FFVXIII will just be huge fat layer of icing on the cake.

If you want to play the best now get a 360.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

You say that the 360 is the only console on the market with RPG's, but that you would go to a PS3 for your RPG fix?

Im consused.

For my part, I don't think the PS3 will EVER have the WRPG's to match the Xbox 360.

As for JRPG's, the PS3 will never dominate the Xbox 360 like the PS2 did the Xbox.  What will happen is, approximately two years after FXIII sells gangbusters on the PS3, a fair number of JRPG's will hit the console having been approved at the time FF widened the PS3's JRPG userbase.  Until then, MS will own JRPG's (at least in terms of high-definition) simply due to their planning ahead and money hatting.

That puts PS3 JRPG superiority at approximately 3 years out:) 

PS3's RPG lineup appeals to me more than what the 360 has now. I like WRPGs but they're almost a non-factor compared to JRPGs for me. I also have little faith in the future of RPGs on 360, just about every notable RPG on 360 came about throw some deal, contract, or moneyhat. There's no sustainable RPG market there, the games could simply disappear once Japanese developers get tired of moneyhats or MS gets tired of putting out for miniscule hardware boosts in Japan.

And I don't expect the PS3 to completely dominate 360 in the RPG department if Microsoft keeps the deals up. No, that title is reserved for the Wii.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:

PS3's RPG lineup appeals to me more than what the 360 has now. I like WRPGs but they're almost a non-factor compared to JRPGs for me. I also have little faith in the future of RPGs on 360, just about every notable RPG on 360 came about throw some deal, contract, or moneyhat. There's no sustainable RPG market there, the games could simply disappear once Japanese developers get tired of moneyhats or MS gets tired of putting out for miniscule hardware boosts in Japan.

And I don't expect the PS3 to completely dominate 360 in the RPG department if Microsoft keeps the deals up. No, that title is reserved for the Wii.

While I agree with most of your post, I have to LOL at the idea of a company getting tired of being moneyhatted. Simply ridiculous.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Rocket, didn't you realize that money is lame now? Companies prefer the deep, rich currency of fanboy froth. It is bottled directly from the source and traded amongst game execs for honor and prestige.

money... pfft.

It's easy for Xbox 360 to have the best lineup of RPG's when:

- You don't want to count PC's lineup
- It has been on market 1 year more than Wii/PS3

The best RPG lineup of this generation is definitely on the PC:

- The Witcher
- Neverwinter Nights 2
- Titan Quest
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Space Rangers 2
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar
- Jade Empire
- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Among others, and tons of expansions.

^Those are all WRPG's. Many people(myself included) don't really count those.