By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone dealt with broken DS top screen?

I got my DS last June.  First week I had it, my 15 month old son decided to give it a good toss and the top screen cracked, leaking the fluid everywhere, making the top screen practically useless.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue and attempted to fix it themselves?  I'm not paying $100 Canadian to have it fixed when I can do it for $60.  I watched a video and it looks pretty straightforward, was wondering if anyone has attempted it, or any type of modding themselves that could give some pointers.

Around the Network

I accidently stepped on X GF's DS last year and cracked the top screen, but I just bought another one (lite) to replace it.

My budget doesn't allow me to spend $175 with taxes for a replacement. :P Otherwise I'd have done so months ago.

If you got it last June shouldn't it be barely still under warranty? I thought that lasted a year. Definitely if it was the first week you had it you could've gotten it fixed for free then.

i dont think warranty covers someone tossing it :P warranty is only technical faults n stuff like that

Around the Network

Yes, warranty doesn't cover impact damage. You seriously think Nintendo will fix PHYSICALLY damaged hardware that was the users/users jerk sons fault? :P Oh well $60 for me to fix it, opposed to $100 for nintendo to fix it and give me another year warranty. :/

This is one of the few situations where the retailer's extended warranty can actually make sense ... many of them cover acts of stupidity (once I was told that if I bought the warranty I could take the CD player out of its box, smash it and they would be forced to replace it).

above: also reason extended warranties are tremendously overpriced. 

also, salespeople get a commission on extended warranty sales at most stores.

the Wii is an epidemic.