By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Questions about HDTV, aspect ratio and something else

@Mummelmann : Pioneer is a japanese company...

Around the Network
ookaze said:

E) Yes, the difference is huge, especially for consoles like the Wii. You'll see some people complain that the Wii is no 1:1 because they see lag in the controller, when in fact that's their TV that's too slow.

You also have to understand that the response times TV makers give you, are without any treatment applied to the image. The logic applied to the image by every TV adds several ms to your response time depending on the technology. The game mode of some TV actually removes lots of logic, sometimes downgrading the image a lot.

Actually I believe the lag is cause by HDTV "upscaling " hardware and has nothing to do with response time. "Upscaling" is design mostly with DVD movies (24 fps) in mind and not for games or fast moving sports. My HDTV has a special "Game" mode to remove this lag which is most noticeable in games like Guitar Hero where split second timing is involved.

As you noted this is why if you want a HDTV you may want want to stay with 16:9 format and not a monitor in disguise since PC monitors may not "upscale" DVD as good as HDTV would. Yet if you have a good "upscale" DVD player then going with a 16:10 (Pc monitor) won't be much of a problem either.

Response time has to do with how fast a pixel can change to white to black and back to white again. Anything around 8ms is just fine since the older slower LCD had a "ghosting" image problem.

/bump, still waiting more opinions please :(
thanks

Easily yours

-Luhuti

ookaze said:

F) 16:9, true 720p in your case, as you have a limited budget. That means a 1280x720 TV. Not ever the worst HDTV, which are the LCD at 1366x768. You can tell these are the worst TV, as most people who have them complain that SD content (like the Wii) looks very bad on them. I've yet to understand how people can buy defective TV that can't at least display old content as good as SDTV, but it seems these are those that sell the most, making the most money to TV makers, as they're the poorest TV, so need less engineering. Don't be fooled, SD content on your future HDTV should look at least as good as on a SDTV.

Is this true? Because I've never ever seen a 1280x720 res HDTV here in Sweden, all the LCDs sold here have a 1366x768 resolution (except those with 1080p of course).

Maybe PAL SD broadcast looks better on 1366x768??

/bump, Need more help please :(

Easily yours

-Luhuti

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
ookaze said:

F) 16:9, true 720p in your case, as you have a limited budget. That means a 1280x720 TV. Not ever the worst HDTV, which are the LCD at 1366x768. You can tell these are the worst TV, as most people who have them complain that SD content (like the Wii) looks very bad on them. I've yet to understand how people can buy defective TV that can't at least display old content as good as SDTV, but it seems these are those that sell the most, making the most money to TV makers, as they're the poorest TV, so need less engineering. Don't be fooled, SD content on your future HDTV should look at least as good as on a SDTV.

Is this true? Because I've never ever seen a 1280x720 res HDTV here in Sweden, all the LCDs sold here have a 1366x768 resolution (except those with 1080p of course).

Maybe PAL SD broadcast looks better on 1366x768??

I believe all the LCD 720p are 1366X768 while some plasma and DLP (especially older models ) have less pixels. You can get more pixels on a LCD screen ( up to1080p) which also increasing the cost compared to plasma/DLP of the same size.

The reason why SD content doesn't look that good on LCD (as well as Plasma) screens is they have fixed pixels while a CRT doesn't. So with a CRT HDTV you can actually run SD in it true resolution using the full screen. Most LCD you can do this (one for one mode) yet blacks out most of your screen. In order to fit the image on the LCD native resolution you have to double up on some pixels while not others. The results is you get a muddy looking image.

Some HDTV has better upscalers that tries to make the "double up" pixels less noticeable (blend them in) which works pretty good with DVD movies. Yet in some case this can muddy up the image even more and doesn't seem to work as good with fast moving images.