By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Questions about HDTV, aspect ratio and something else

Hi! This is my first post here in Vgchartz ><, I hope you can help me with my problem.

I plan to buy a HDTV in 2-3 weeks, im in a low budget ($300-$400) so im looking for a 19"-26" HDTV. I have been searching many store websites and I see that many of the 19"-26" hdtv are 16:10 aspect ratio. So I have some questions :

• a) Is there any difference between 16:9 aspect ratio and 16:10 aspect ratio for videogaming? I have heard that 16:10 aspect ratio stretches the image and looks bad.

And for watching normal television is there any difference between 16:9 and 16:10

I was planing to buy this hdtv: Viewsonic DiamaniDuo NX2232w 22" (1680 x 1050 native resolution, 1000:1 aspect ratio, 5 ms) Newegg lists as a 16:10 aspect ratio hdtv but in other websites is listed as 16:9 aspect ratio, im confused ><

• b) Is it true that hdtv with 1440 x 900 native resolution are ALWAYS 16:10 aspect ratio?

Because in some websites they list 1440x 900 hdtv as a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Example: MAGNAVOX - 19MF337B 19" Flat Panel LCD HDTV

Quote: "Optional set-top box required for high-definition cable or satellite programming. 19-1/9" measured diagonally 1440 x 900 pixel resolution for outstanding image clarity 16:9 aspect ratio with widescreen, 4:3, movie expand 14:9, movie expand 16:9, super zoom and subtitle zoom modes; 3/2 - 2/2 motion pulldown Antireflection coated screen ensures clear viewing for everyone Ultrafast 5 ms response time 3D comb filter brings out fine picture detail and enhances color purity Image enhancements include 3D MA deinterlacing, automatic skin tone correction, black stretch, blue stretch, digital noise reduction and green enhancement "

• c) I have seen that some hdtvs are listed as 720p/1080i on the websites but customer reviews says that when connected to ps3/xbox360 they show 1080p. Is it true?

Example 1: MAGNAVOX - 19MF337B 19" Flat Panel LCD HDTV

Quote from customer review:

"I'm not sure why it only mentions 720p, because it plays Blu-ray movies               (and certain videogames) at 1080p."

Example 2 : Philips 19PFL5422D 19" LCD HDTV                                                                                            customer review: "When hooked to the PLAYSTATION 3 via HDMI, it'll support 1080p, and the games looks great. Even the Wii's 480p looks good. and even though the television has a greater horizontal pixel resolution, the scaling from 16:9 to 16:10 is near perfect."

•d)       Is a big difference between 720p/1080i  and 1080p in small hdtvs 19"-26" ?

•e)       is any big difference between 5ms and 8ms response time in hdtvs for videogaming?

•f)        What HDTV do you recommend me to buy? I was going to buy the viewsonic 22" but since I heard that is 16:10 aspect ratio im not sure now ><, I don't want my videogames to look stretched. A friend told me to look at this 26" hdtv:                                            Element 26" LCD HDTV is it good?

•g)       Would you prefer a 26" hdtv (720p only) or a 19" that can show 1080p?

h) Do you know in what store can I buy a hdtv + ps3 + xbox 360 with a discount, because im gonna buy these 3 items at once and I want a discount  =)

i)Last question, any good and cheap HDMI cable compatible with ps3 and xbox 360?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read. THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISING!!

Im in Oxnard, California right now and im going to buy  the hdtv, ps3 and xbox360 and take them to Peru =)

Easily yours

-Luhuti

Around the Network

This is an advertisement disguised (poorly)

First post and you're talking about TV's, links to all sorts of TV's, and no detail in your profile.

Well, he's not pushing one site or one strange product, so I dunno...

Well why does his post look like a copy paste mess?
Where's his "Hi I'm a new user" introduction?

@AoA
You cinic you.
OT:
B: True 1440/900=1.6=16:10
C: Trueish. They will prolly accept a 1080p signal and downscale it to 720p
D: It depends how close you are
E-H: Dunno

Around the Network

h) the cheapest HDMI cable you can find. Since you are dealing with a digital signal, so long as you aren't going long distances (>100ft) It doesn't matter what cable you buy so long as it doesn't physically fall apart.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Oh wow look he's gone offline, almost like he doesn't care for your answers, he just wanted to deploy the ad.

^ dear god you are suspicous these days
maybe he will check tomorrow, not everyone is allways here^^

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Hi, im not advertising anything. Its my first post and sorry if i didnt introduce me first >

Easily yours

-Luhuti

/bump
Help plz :(

Easily yours

-Luhuti