By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does the Smash 3DS Demo restart my 3DS?

orniletter said:
the_dengle said:
I believe it's because Smash Bros uses all of the 3DS's memory, including the bit set aside for running the OS. So when you quit the demo, it has to do a soft reset of the system.

I am somewhat confused that you can still go to the home screen to adjust brightness settings, though.

You are half right: Smash uses the RAM that is set aside for the Internetbrowser/ Miiverse. Thats why you can´t use them while your 3DS is running the demo. MonsterHunter 4 does the same.

But that wouldn't explain why the system has to reset.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
orniletter said:
the_dengle said:
I believe it's because Smash Bros uses all of the 3DS's memory, including the bit set aside for running the OS. So when you quit the demo, it has to do a soft reset of the system.

I am somewhat confused that you can still go to the home screen to adjust brightness settings, though.

You are half right: Smash uses the RAM that is set aside for the Internetbrowser/ Miiverse. Thats why you can´t use them while your 3DS is running the demo. MonsterHunter 4 does the same.

But that wouldn't explain why the system has to reset.

There are basically 2 different "modes" the 3DS can launch in:

-"normal" mode (according to 3D brew): 64 mb for the game, 32 for the OS and another 32 mb for the webbrowser

-the special "fuck you, interwebs" mode: 96 mb for the game and 32 mb for the OS .

So when you close Smash, the 3DS restarts in "normal mode" so you can use the Webbrowser and Miiverse again. You need an OS for these modern consoles to work .

Edit: I might have got the numbers wrong, but it is something along those lines.

orniletter said:

There are basically 2 different "modes" the 3DS can launch in:

-"normal" mode (according to 3D brew): 64 mb for the game, 32 for the OS and another 32 mb for the webbrowser

-the special "fuck you, interwebs" mode: 96 mb for the game and 32 mb for the OS .

So when you close Smash, the 3DS restarts in "normal mode" so you can use the Webbrowser and Miiverse again. You need an OS for these modern consoles to work .

Edit: I might have got the numbers wrong, but it is something along those lines.

Same here i did, weird.