By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you correctly read review scores?

I wonder how people understand review scores of big websites. I'll give an example:

I think that on IGN - less than 8 means "a bad game", 8.0-9.0 means "a mediocre game" and 9+ means a good game.

Am I right?

What about other websites? GameSpot, etc?

How is it on Metacritic?

Around the Network

Mine is more like, at least on Metacritic

0-5.9 = nope
6-6.9 = caution
7-8 = decent
8.1-8.5 = good
8.6-9.0 = awesome
9.1 + = excellent

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

From left to right

DaltonAbbey said:
From left to right

Unless you're on an Arabic website.

Psychotic said:
DaltonAbbey said:
From left to right

Unless you're on an Arabic website.

No, the correct way to read numbers in Arabic is still from left to right unlike letters. Believe the man, he speaks the truth.

Around the Network

Headlines thenn go to the score.

Don´t have time to read.

I see most reviewers on the 5-10 scale scoring 5 or less than 5 is rubbish 10 is great.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

The correct way is to not read the scores unless you really, really know you have a similar taste with the reviewer.

For me.

4 - 5 = Rather waste money on fireworks.
5 - 7 = Mediocre and generic.
7.5 - 8 = Okay, nothing special.
8.5 - 9 = Pretty Great.
9 - 10 = Must give it a shot

If it's a game I don't care about at all, but there's a huge discount on it -- it needs a Meta of at least 80, or 75 along with few favorable video reviews. (ex. DEeus Ex: Human Revolution)

If it's a game I'm on the edge of buying, it needs at least 70, or 65 if it has an interesting concept. (ex. Alice: Madness Returns)

If it's a game I followed pre-launch and decided to buy it based on information gathered --- I completely disregard reviews, and never read or watch them, whether meta is 95 or 65 I'm buying it (ex. Lollipop Chainsaw, Destiny.....)

Most of my purchases are from the last category, I usually research games a lot, and decide on my purchases months in advance...