By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

Is it even worth 2 billion?

Minecraft has peaked long ago and I dont see much more money in simply rehashing it or adding more dlc.

Incredibly foolish if true.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
People think it´s ease and safe to create a new studio from ground up and create hit franchise.

I don´t think you guys know but Sony didn´t create Naught Dog.

If Microsoft has the money and they plan to make the franchise soar higher (see Lego the Movie) I see no problem.

What does that have to do with anything. Microsoft didn't create Bungie either.

Or was your point that these are famed developers that didn't start out with their respective console parent? Well Bungie doesn't belong to anyone now.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

So... hypothetically, what would happen to the iOS/Android/PS3/4/V versions? Would Microsoft have them shut down, or would they simply cash in on the success of other companies?

the_dengle said:
So... hypothetically, what would happen to the iOS/Android/PS3/4/V versions? Would Microsoft have them shut down, or would they simply cash in on the success of other companies?

I think they would get rid of the PS4/V versions and keep the rest, along with releasing a version for Windows Phone. After that they will release updates for Xbox and Windows platforms first, then ios/android, while leaving the PS3 version to fester.

Mistershine said:
the_dengle said:

I think they would get rid of the PS4/V versions and keep the rest, along with releasing a version for Windows Phone. After that they will release updates for Xbox and Windows platforms first, then ios/android, while leaving the PS3 version to fester.

Why get rid of two versions but not the others?

Around the Network
Maraccuda said:
Is it even worth 2 billion?

Minecraft has peaked long ago and I dont see much more money in simply rehashing it or adding more dlc.

Incredibly foolish if true.

It makes hundreds of millions per year on merchandising and they can always make sequels/expansions.

the_dengle said:
Mistershine said:
the_dengle said:

Why get rid of two versions but not the others?

PS4 because it's current gen and offers the most competition to MS, PSV because it directly hurts Sony as it's part of their current gen plan(remote play and such). PS3 on the other hand is an existing install base from a pretty much dead race and easy money, sell the base version with some add ons but keep the majority exclusive to the Xbox brand. ios and android versions are too much of an income to drop but they can be given a tier 2 release schedule.

Headshot said:
Madword said:

But then it has little to do with any other of their divisions either :)

You really think they are dropping 2 billion with the main reason being to make any future minecraft releases exclusive to xbox one? No.

Well if you actually read my comment, you would notice that I said they don't have the divisions to take advantage of this. I did not say *ALL* they would do would be making games. 

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Grats to Notch if this deal it true. Best selling game of all time. I dont play this game but still

Microsoft sure love wasting money. Why not invest that into Rare and bring them back to their former glory?

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018