By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "There is no place for Nintendo hardware". Thoughts?

I love Nintendo but I have to say I would not be upset if they went software only, I buy their hardware to play their games, this is the only reason I buy their hardware, its extremely rare I buy anything outside of what Nintendo publish for their hardware and certainly dont use there hardware for anything other than games.

I do hope they can win 3rd party support back someday.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Wii U certainly shows how that *could* be true. Wii shows how it is also very false. The truth lies somewhere in between, but that's only because dedicated games hardware itself is under more threat than ever.

Sony and Microsoft's exit strategy is obviously to a services platform, but what road will Nintendo choose?

Exactly, then again with the strategy we've seen Nintendo doing with their hardware divisions  I can see a 9th generation Nintendo console, even like or better than the rumored one. I'm pretty sure Sony confirmed a PS5, but wasn't sure about the generation after that. and MS confirmed nothing. Wouldn't surprise me though if Nintendo is the only 10th generation hardware on the market and MS and PS offer their games as services through PC, set top boxes, and maybe even a 10th genration Nintendo box for a yearly fee. But we have about 20 years for that, and I'll be in my mid forties to see that. 

Who knows where the roads will take us. 

Well Wii U is the only original console on the market XB1 is just a dumb version of PS4 with the same games but crappier or "exclusives" that end up on PC 6 months later. As for PS4 I don't approve of anybody purchasing it now but I think in the long run it will be selling because the 3rd party games are way better on there than XB1 and even though the exclusives aren't as good as Nintendos collectively they still pack a punch and are tons of fun

- Moderated, Carl

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

I'm pretty sure he predicted Sony discontinuing the PS3 and leaving the console market.

I was just thinking yesterday that we haven't heard any BS from Pachter in a while, and lo and behold, he appears like Beetlejuice or Candyman.

So he's going to conveniently ignore Nintendo's handheld dominance?

Not to mention, why does everyone forget that there are devs out there that appreciate one console being less powerful and cheaper to produce for, so they can put out projects that would never catch anyone's attention on the other consoles but would sting a lot harder if they don't meet expectations?

Around the Network
OfficerRaichu15 said:
ahh port begging
you people realize that there profits could decrease dramatically right?

This thread is one giant port begging circlejerk of Nintendo games.

I care, the WiiU is a very interesting console, even without the raw power. All it needs is more games that use the gamepad features, like Zombiu or eve the very dumb (but adorable) WiiU Sports Club.

Also, have 2 console, play Nintendo exclusives and the cool 3rd party games with gamepad and wiimote content (if any comes). Simple. If you do not have the money, well, you should not be playing that many video games anyways, play a little less and everything will look cooler: I play like 30 minutes to 2 hours a week, so every little time I have with games is very fun to me.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Ka-pi96 said:
burninmylight said:
I was just thinking yesterday that we haven't heard any BS from Pachter in a while, and lo and behold, he appears like Beetlejuice or Candyman.

So he's going to conveniently ignore Nintendo's handheld dominance?

Not to mention, why does everyone forget that there are devs out there that appreciate one console being less powerful and cheaper to produce for, so they can put out projects that would never catch anyone's attention on the other consoles but would sting a lot harder if they don't meet expectations?

Is that really true though? I don't see why being less powerful would make any difference in making games. Besides that, the PC is the cheapest and easiest platform to produce games for, then the PS4 and Xbox One are the easiest to port to from PC. Wii U Is harder and likely more time consuming, and therefore more expensive..

I was thinking of the Wii. Mid-tier games like Rune Factory, Little King's Story, De Blob and so on were perfect for it because it gave devs an environment where they didn't have to produce games with astronomical budgets and expect unrealistic sales. You know, like the pre-HD days.

LudicrousSpeed said:

PS2 made money. Which PS3 then lost all of IIRC.

But uh, yeah. You misfired here. Reload.

Did it? I'm pretty sure PS2 lost money. I'll have to check.

Checking.

Ka-pi96 said:
burninmylight said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Is that really true though? I don't see why being less powerful would make any difference in making games. Besides that, the PC is the cheapest and easiest platform to produce games for, then the PS4 and Xbox One are the easiest to port to from PC. Wii U Is harder and likely more time consuming, and therefore more expensive..

I was thinking of the Wii. Mid-tier games like Rune Factory, Little King's Story, De Blob and so on were perfect for it because it gave devs an environment where they didn't have to produce games with astronomical budgets and expect unrealistic sales. You know, like the pre-HD days.

Oh right, that's fair enough. The Wii was almost certainly easier (and cheaper) to develop for than the PS3, and probably the 360 as well.

Fixed.