By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With want control are you planning to play Mario Kart Wii?

Yeah I'll be using the wheel for sure. If I really think it sucks I'll probably stick with the GC controller, but one can always try, right?

I drink your milkshake.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
kitler53 said:
i'll use the wii wheel. i don't really care if it means i lose a bit of precision cause it's just more fun to make the actual motions. i mean, i could play GH on the xbox controller instead of the guitar but what fun is that? I could play a racing game with a analog stick but why would i choose it over an actual steering wheel?

how is losing due to the imprecision of the control considered 'fun'?

I mean, doesn't that also classify dying a hundred time because the six-axis sucks in Lair 'fun'?

I don't mind losing myself, but I rather lose because I'm not good enough, not because I was handicapped by the control scheme. 

if mario kart's controls are at least as good as that of excite truck then it will be plenty precise enough to enjoy the game.  i think use of the game cube controller will give a slight competitive advantage kind of like power-sliding did in the previous installment (which i never used btw cause i thought it killed the fun).  if the controllers were so imprecise that i couldn't move then yeah, the game would suck, but nintendo has already proven to me that they can make this control scheme work via excite truck.

as far as lair goes i never played it so i can't say too much for certain but i thought the control problems were 1) inability to make tight turns (more of a programing sensitivity problem then controller)  2) the game being unresponsive to the 180 degree turn and the forward thrust moves as well as 3) the 180 degree turn move and forward thrust move being awkward to do for the user.   i don't foresee mario kart suffering these sorts of problems.

kitler53 said:
kingofwale said:
kitler53 said:
i'll use the wii wheel. i don't really care if it means i lose a bit of precision cause it's just more fun to make the actual motions. i mean, i could play GH on the xbox controller instead of the guitar but what fun is that? I could play a racing game with a analog stick but why would i choose it over an actual steering wheel?

how is losing due to the imprecision of the control considered 'fun'?

I mean, doesn't that also classify dying a hundred time because the six-axis sucks in Lair 'fun'?

I don't mind losing myself, but I rather lose because I'm not good enough, not because I was handicapped by the control scheme.

if mario kart's controls are at least as good as that of excite truck then it will be plenty precise enough to enjoy the game. i think use of the game cube controller will give a slight competitive advantage kind of like power-sliding did in the previous installment (which i never used btw cause i thought it killed the fun). if the controllers were so imprecise that i couldn't move then yeah, the game would suck, but nintendo has already proven to me that they can make this control scheme work via excite truck.

as far as lair goes i never played it so i can't say too much for certain but i thought the control problems were 1) inability to make tight turns (more of a programing sensitivity problem then controller) 2) the game being unresponsive to the 180 degree turn and the forward thrust moves as well as 3) the 180 degree turn move and forward thrust move being awkward to do for the user. i don't foresee mario kart suffering these sorts of problems.

What killed Lair was the control, it's not broken, it's just horribly crippled. (lol), If you have the time to learn it, like poor souls who bought the game, you will eventually get it, but reviewers bashed it to no-end and that's why most people didn't even buy this game.

Excite Trucks doesn't have sharp turns like Mario Kart, and that's where I think Wiiwheel is likely to fail.

P.S. power-slide (AKA Snaking) isn't an advantage, it's cheating due to a miscalculating on Nintendo's part. I'm glad they were able to correct that in MK for Wii. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Kingofwale have you played a mariokart game before?... It doesn't need precision in controls just like none of te past games had precise controls... hell in MK64 it didn't even feel like you were controlling the car you were looking at.
(And the only reason the wii remote tilt isn't as precise as the stick is because people can't keep their arms still... if you play sat on a bed like me with elbows supported it is just as precise as a stick)

I'm going to be Wheeling it initially. It should be a lot fun. Of course, if I do come to the conclusion that the wheel doesn't work well, I'll revert. But it should be a great way to play.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Kingofwale have you played a mariokart game before?... It doesn't need precision in controls just like none of te past games had precise controls... hell in MK64 it didn't even feel like you were controlling the car you were looking at.
(And the only reason the wii remote tilt isn't as precise as the stick is because people can't keep their arms still... if you play sat on a bed like me with elbows supported it is just as precise as a stick)

Have I? I used emulation for N64 for Mario Kart, which made me buy GC for just one game, MK DD, I spent probably over 200 hours in each iteration.

I will go as far as buying a console for MK. So yes, I think I've palyed Mario Kart before.

It's true that precision isn't a 'must' to beat the game, but if you have friends who MASTER MK and you are playing vs them. every friction of second counts.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

I'll try the GC controller and Wii Remote. Not sure about the wheel though. Maybe if it has a better feel compared to just the Wii remote!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

kingofwale said:
TWRoO said:

Have I? I used emulation for N64 for Mario Kart, which made me buy GC for just one game, MK DD, I spent probably over 200 hours in each iteration.

I will go as far as buying a console for MK. So yes, I think I've palyed Mario Kart before.

It's true that precision isn't a 'must' to beat the game, but if you have friends who MASTER MK and you are playing vs them. every friction of second counts.

Still doesn't change the fact that using the tilt of the remote is not less accurate than a stick... you could argue that because it's wireless the response time is a couple of hundredths of a second slower or something, but as long as you anchor your arms (rest your elbows) the accuracy is perfect.

You might wanna add MK:DD to your profile.

TWRoO said:
kingofwale said:
TWRoO said:

Still doesn't change the fact that using the tilt of the remote is not less accurate than a stick... you could argue that because it's wireless the response time is a couple of hundredths of a second slower or something, but as long as you anchor your arms (rest your elbows) the accuracy is perfect.

You might wanna add MK:DD to your profile.

I am too lazy to add every game I played into my profile. also, I don't own the game and console anymore, Sold it when I bought my PS3 via trade-in.

I'm willing to give the Wiiwheel a try, like most people here, but if it's the only reason showing me down, I'm ditching it. 

selnor
Episode 2:

Gamecube or classic controller